11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2010 1:37 PM by Claudio González

characters stuck with cambria font in Pagemaker 7

lucho115

I have stuck  some characters with cambria font in PageMaker 7, typing in ms-word its ok, now when I copy and paste in PageMaker 7, i get stick some letters, then  i try typing directly in PageMaker, and its the same, anyone know can  i solve this ?
           thanks, sorry about my english.

bye

• 1. Re: characters stuck with cambria font in Pagemaker 7
          lucho115 Level 1

all this mess is with cambria font and with cambria math font

• 2. Re: characters stuck with cambria font in Pagemaker 7
            Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

Lucho, PageMaker es un programa realmente antiguo que fue descontinuado hace muchos años. Espero que no estés tratando de hacerlo funcionar en ninguno de los sistemas operativos más recientes.

Lucho, PageMaker is a really ancient program that was discontinued many years ago. I hope you are not trying to run it in any of the newer operating systems.

Nos ayudaría saber en qué plataforma estás (Mac o Win) y la versión de tu sistema operativo.

It would help us to know your platform (Mac or Win), and the version of your operating sysytem.

Puedes escribir en español si quieres explicar mejor tu problema; no estoy seguro de entenderlo bien. Como alternativa, puedes publicar nuevamente tu mensaje aquí:

Please feel free to write in Spanish if you want to explain your problem more clearly -I am not sure I understand it correctly. Alternatively, you can repost here:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/international_forums/espanol?view=discussions

Message was edited by: Claudio González. Reason: adding Spanish translations.

• 3. Re: characters stuck with cambria font in Pagemaker 7
              BigJohnD Level 3

lucho115 wrote:

I have stuck  some characters with cambria font in PageMaker 7, typing in ms-word its ok, now when I copy and paste in PageMaker 7, i get stick some letters, then  i try typing directly in PageMaker, and its the same, anyone know can  i solve this ?
                   thanks, sorry about my english.

bye

Do not copy and paste from Word.

From the FAQs:

6.8 - Importing Text from Word (*.doc)

Importing text from Word is not as straightforward as it seems, and often does not work out as expected. Read on for a few tips on how to minimise anger and maximise productivity.

It is well known that copy/pasting Word docs directly into PM will cause problems, particularly when style names clash.

You can only 'import' the text from a Word document - no graphics, no backgrounds.

To get the graphics from the Word document into PM:

If you have a graphic in a Word document you want to put into your PM doc, and depending on whether it is a vector (e.g. WMF) or raster (e.g. JPG) export it from Corel Draw as an EPS or TIFF respectively.

This method will retain all the pixel data that was in the original graphic, where pasting into Photoshop/Illustrator or PM itself will not.

To get the text from the Word document:

1. Save it as a TXT file, then place it into PM. Unlink the TXT file from the PM doc via the Links Manager.

2. Save the text from Word as rich text format (.RTF) then use File>Place to get it into PM. Make sure you immediately delete the link to the Word doc in the Links Manager, otherwise problems next time you open the PM file as it will look for that RTF file - bad news if you have made changes to the text in PM.italicising,

Note: Saving in RTF or TXT formats strips out the Word styles. The former however retains all bolding and italicising, the latter does not.

3. Copy and paste the text into a brand new PM doc, highlight all the text and on the Styles palette, click on the [No Style] option. Then recopy the text and paste it into your existing PM doc and apply PMs styles. (Don't save the PM doc where you applied the [No Styles]). Remember, it is far better to apply styles using PM than to bring in Word styles.

4. When you are in the "Place" dialogue box, try checking "read tags." This will prevent the Word document from importing its own styles into your document.

-- With thanks to Lyn Eggleston and Phil Peterson

• 4. Re: characters stuck with cambria font in Pagemaker 7
                lucho115 Level 1

The SO is windows XP sp3, i know that pm7 is an old soft but iam in middle of an important work that was started 7 years ago so i need to finished in pm7, anyway you think that in indesign this issue was solved?

I put the original post in the internatinal forum in spanish, and i copy here:

"Se me pegan algunos caracteres con la fuente cambria (y cambria math) en  pagemaker 7, si lo tipeo en word esta ok, ahora lo copio y paso a  pagemaker y se pegan algunas letras, entonces probe tipear directamente  en pagemaker y pasa lo mismo, alguien sabe xq puede ser esto?
                saludos"

thanks

bye

• 5. Re: characters stuck with cambria font in Pagemaker 7
                  lucho115 Level 1

thanks BigJohnD but is not a problem of copy & paste, because if i write in pm7 with this fonts i have the same problems, so i think that is a problem is the font but why in word works ok ?

thanks

• 6. Re: characters stuck with cambria font in Pagemaker 7
                    BigJohnD Level 3

Probably because can not handle Opentype Fonts - it can only manage the first 255 characters of a font.

The reall answer is to move onto InDesign and leave PM behind.

• 7. Re: characters stuck with cambria font in Pagemaker 7
                      lucho115 Level 1

so cambria is an opentype font? you know others opentype fonts to try write with pm7? because if it is the problem i must to have teh same issue with them.

thanks

• 8. Re: characters stuck with cambria font in Pagemaker 7
                        BigJohnD Level 3

lucho115 wrote:

so cambria is an opentype font?

Cambria Math does appear to contain 4,722 glyphs of which PM can only handle the first 256, leaving over 4,000 which it can't.

That means they may be displayed on the screen but won't print correctly.

http://www.ascenderfonts.com/font/cambria-regular.aspx

The above linked page also says "An OpenType-savvy application such as Adobe Creative Suite or Quark  XPress is required to access the OpenType typographic features."  And PM is not OpenType-savvy.

Move to InDesign while you can still get a discount using you PM Licence.

• 9. Re: characters stuck with cambria font in Pagemaker 7
                          lucho115 Level 1

OK, but when i write in pm7 also have the problem, is not a print problem. Any i need to finish a work of 7 years so migrate to cs4 or change the font is not a good path, anybody can hlep me with another solution?

thks

• 10. Re: characters stuck with cambria font in Pagemaker 7
                            BigJohnD Level 3

The solution is move to InDesign. Use your PM Licence to get a generous discount on the purchase while you still can.

• 11. Re: characters stuck with cambria font in Pagemaker 7
                              Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

As you have been told several times in both threads, the problem

most probably is that such an old program as PageMaker is unable to cope with

the Cambrian font. I

f so, there are only two ways out of your problem: change to another font, or move to

another program such as InDesign that can. You have also been told that you can

download a free trial version of InDesign to make certain that the latter is a good solution, and that the upgrade offer at a reduced price may well end when CS5 is released.

Extra linefeeds kindly provided by the software.