6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2010 8:46 AM by the_wine_snob

Windows 7 and Premeire Elements 8 - getting slammed ! !

Geo mazz

I am looking to start with some video editing software.  I currently use Adobe for my photo editing (Photoshop elements 5) and am very pleased with it.

I have a new windpows 7 pc due any day now.  I went to Amazon to see about orderint the bundle of PSE 8 and premiere elements 8 - but when I looked at the reviews - Premier Elements 8 is really getting slammed by usere in the Amazon ratings.  Came here lookig for another opinion - how do you rate performance of Premier Elements 8 with windows 7?

I will be using it on an HP wiht the new I3 processor - 3.06Ghz and 6 GB SDRAM. 
      The graphics card is a 1GG ATI Radeon HD 5450

Thanks all

• 1. Re: Windows 7 and Premeire Elements 8 - getting slammed ! !
          morgandj Level 1

I too am an Adobe user with PSCS4, LR, Acrobat and recently tried PRE8 as an alternative to PD8.

I have found that PRE8 has many issues that have been well documented here and eventually I gave up and went back to PD8, I find PRE8 is very slow to render even on my machine which is an i7 860 with 8Gb memory and a nvidia GTX 260 video card.

I don't find PRE8's interface at all intuitive and some will say that you should render when you have done all your work but that leaves you with choppy previews and features applied not being viewed.

I am only 1 user and hope that Adobe will fix this program which also does not take advantage of a 64 bit system, I have gone back to PD8 where my workflow is quicker and easier to do

David.

• 2. Re: Windows 7 and Premeire Elements 8 - getting slammed ! !
            the_wine_snob Level 9

What material do you plan on editing with the i3?

If AVCHD, then you might be disappointed. That takes some major CPU horsepower.

Also, I did not see mention of your I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's. I strongly recommend 3x SATA II's, and 2x SATA II's as the absolute minimum. If one is working in HD material, strong consideration should be given to at least one RAID Array in the 0 categories for a media drive.

With HD material, I would configure this way:

C:\ OS, programs and probably the Windows Virtual Memory (Page File)

D:\ Projects and Scratch Disks

E:\ RAID 0, 10 etc. up to 50, depending on the number of HDD's that one can afford, just for Media.*

Many here have been using PrE 8 well on Win7, so long as they have the proper hardware, and have tweaked the OS for max response. Also, those having the highest success rate, are NOT trying to edit Xvid, Flip, or even the JVC TOD files, without conversion. Now, there are many reports from people, trying to edit odd CODEC files, with no conversion, on weak computers, but that happens with all NLE's.

I would strongly recommend reading the reviews and reports from Steve Grisseti and ATR. They have covered things very well, and in simple terms. They have reported on real world use of the program. They are not professional reviewers, who might write about a database manager today, and an NLE the next. They understand video editing and work with editors day in, and day out.

As for the reviews, one needs to know about the reviewers. What is their level of expertise? What is their system like, and how is it setup? What material are they trying to work with? And on it goes.

I read and write a ton of restaurant and wine reviews for electronic media, and the Web, plus a few print outlets. I run across restaurants that I love, and some that I do not. After I have chronicled my experiences, I usually do a bit of research, to see how others reviewed that spot (or wine). I am often astounded by some of the other reviews, and wonder if they had actually dined at the restaurant, that I had, and just written of. Yes, management might have changed, but many are so counter to what I encountered, that I just cannot imagine a total implosion, or a drastic turnaround, and in just a few months. In one case, I had given a glowing review of a restaurant, and found one that was fresh but painted a horrible picture. I did a bit more research, and found that this poster had written almost exact reviews of a dozen high-end, fine-dining establishments, across the globe. If they had a Michelin "star," he/she tore them apart. Two "stars" and things really got bad. Oh my word, if they had three "stars," they were poisoning the diners and then robbing the bodies. Why this reviewer had such an ax to grind is beyond me. There were ~ 40 reviews, and every one was absolutely horrible and these restaurants were in a dozen different countries! Gotta' know the source. That is why I mentioned Steve and ATR. I trust those sources.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Windows 7 and Premeire Elements 8 - getting slammed ! !
              bdreher

I'm running PRE 8.0.1 under Win 7 Pro 32 Bit, i7 860, 4 GB, Nvidia Geforce 7300 GS (newest driver 196.21).

I want to work with AVCHD material from my new Panasonic TM350 camcorder.

I bought PRE because I was disappointed by the performance of Pinnacle Studio 14.

But while PRE allows much smoother editing, it runs very, very unstable. I have to save the project every few minutes to not loose again work done. This is not acceptable!

I followed all the advices given in the FAQ (disable GPU usage etc.) but it did not help. It seems as if the programs looses stability after some period of time of work. Then I get frequently an out of memory message with the advice to save the project. Could it be that there is a so called memory leak in the code, which means that the program acquires memory from the operating system over and over again but does not return it to the OS after usage.

Is there any chance that I can use this program in a productive way?

Regards Björn

• 4. Re: Windows 7 and Premeire Elements 8 - getting slammed ! !
                nealeh Level 5

Is this an older PC you have upgraded? I ask because the Nvidia 7300 is quite an old card.

You should also:

• install all Windows Update updates
                • update your sound card drivers
                • install the latest version of QuickTime.

What hard disks do you have and how much free contiguous space is on each?

My knowledge of modern processors is quite out of date so I'm not familiar with the I7 processors. Others have reported that you really need a Quad Core processor to work with AVCHD - does an I7 meet that requirement?

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: Windows 7 and Premeire Elements 8 - getting slammed ! !
                  morgandj Level 1

Before trying to help somebody you should have the technical

knowledge that assists, i7 core are 4 cores each with 2 threads m

eaning it is an 8 thread cpu and has just been released by intel

I suggest you 'google' i7 so you can become more current and helpful

David

nealeh wrote:

Is this an older PC you have upgraded? I ask because the Nvidia 7300 is quite an old card.

You should also:

• install all Windows Update updates
                  • update your sound card drivers
                  • install the latest version of QuickTime.

What hard disks do you have and how much free contiguous space is on each?

My knowledge of modern processors is quite out of date so I'm not familiar with the I7 processors. Others have reported that you really need a Quad Core processor to work with AVCHD - does an I7 meet that requirement?

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: Windows 7 and Premeire Elements 8 - getting slammed ! !
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Björn,

I get frequently an out of memory message with the advice to save the project.

This ARTICLE might be useful in eliminating the "out of memory" issues.

Also, remember that "memory," is both RAM and also Windows Virtual Memory (Page File). You might want to investigate the size of your Page File, plus how it's managed, and the amount of defragmented free-space that you have available on the HDD, where you have it located.

Personally, I like to set up a static Page File. With older RAM memory management, it was recommended to have this set to 2.5x the amount of physical RAM. That is now pretty much unnecessary with newer RAM, but still around 1.5x the physical RAM would be a good starting point. Also, with static Page File management, the OS will write that to the HDD in the same spot at boot up, so that fragmentation will be less of an issue. With dynamically management, the Page File will be expanded and contracted, as Windows deems necessary. This takes CPU cycles and will also write this file over many sectors of the HDD, which can lead to fragmentation and also slow performance.

Just some thoughts, and good luck,

Hunt