6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2010 3:46 AM by nealeh

New Install: Scratch Disk Error / Crash When Opening New Project

camberger

I have just installed Premiere Elements 8.

First Effort:

I launched it for the first time, clicked on New Project, and used the default file path. (I usually avoid saving files I am currently working with in My Documents because our admin performs autobackups of those files to our network and that process sometimes makes for quirky saves, but I thought I'd try it.)

Then I got this message:

"The scratch disks are write protected or unavailable. To open this project, the scratch disks will be set to your My Documents folder. Would you like to continue. Yes / No."

When I clicked Yes, the software crashed. I repeated this a few times.

So then I tried again and clicked No, thinking I would set the scratch disk to a path not including the My Documents folder. But I couldn't find a way to do this. In the Help it says you can do this from Edit>Preferences. But without a project open, all the Edit options are greyed out.

Second Effort:

I clicked on New Project and selected a file path that did not include the My Documents folder.

Then I got this message:

"The scratch disks are write protected or unavailable. To open this project, the scratch disks will be set to your My Documents folder. Would you like to continue. Yes / No."

Other results were the same as with my first effort.

When I clicked Yes, the software crashed. I repeated this a few times.

So then I tried again and clicked No, thinking I would set the scratch disk to a path not including the My Documents folder. But I couldn't find a way to do this. In the Help it says you can do this from Edit>Preferences. But without a project open, all the Edit options are greyed out.

Got any help for me?

• 1. Re: New Install: Scratch Disk Error / Crash When Opening New Project
          nealeh Level 5

camberger wrote:

I usually avoid saving files I am currently working with in My Documents because our admin performs autobackups

The fact you have an 'Admin' coupled with the 'unavailable' error suggests to me that you do not have Admin rights but the scratch disks location is to a folder that requires Admin rights.

I suggest that you ask your Admin to run your PRE installation using 'Run As Administrator'. If my diagnosis is correct he should not have a problem and, once logged in, he can redirect the scratch files path to a location where you have full rights.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: New Install: Scratch Disk Error / Crash When Opening New Project
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along the lines that Neale is thinking, you will want to set both your Project and Scratch Disks to a local HDD, and not to a networked HDD. Not sure how your computer, and/or your network is configured, but most Adobe programs do not do well when a network is brought into the mix. The program wants to be on a local HDD, preferably C:\, and then work to/from a local HDD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: New Install: Scratch Disk Error / Crash When Opening New Project
              camberger Level 1

Thanks. The HDD is local, but it is regularly autobacked up onto the network drive. The question is how / where to I configure the location of the scratch disk? All references I can find say to use the Edit>Preferences file path, but those are greyed out without an open project. And I can't open a project because of the crashing.

• 4. Re: New Install: Scratch Disk Error / Crash When Opening New Project
                camberger Level 1

Thanks. And, I want to make sure I have been clear enough, so that I know for sure I need the network admin to do this.

1. I installed PRE onto my PC

2. The location where I have installed PRE is on my hard drive in the My Documents folder.

3. My company's network admin has set the My Documents folder to automatically back up onto the network.

4. The scratch disk location is also to the My Documents folder.

So there is no way for me to redirect the scratch disk paths in the software myself? Do I need to reinstall and configure it somehow?

Appreciate the help.

Tina

• 5. Re: New Install: Scratch Disk Error / Crash When Opening New Project
                  peerf

I teach video editing with Adobe Premiere Elements. I have previously used version 4, but has now purchased and installed version 8. The Users lock on a network, but the programs are installed on each Windows XP computers with Administrator right.
                  Then I also got this message:

"The scratch disks are write protected or unavailable. To open this project, the scratch disks will be seen to your My Documents folder. Would you like to continue. Yes / No."

I've tried everything possible but nothing helps. Is there really no one who can help me out of the problem. Many students are waiting for a solution.

• 6. Re: New Install: Scratch Disk Error / Crash When Opening New Project
                    nealeh Level 5

It seems this one slipped through the net and was never successfully resolved earlier this year.

Note that running a Program from a user account is *NOT* the same as running as Administrator.

• Ask your network admin to run the program as Administrator and see if that makes any difference.
                    • Also ask if there are any 'Symbolic Links' that are actually routing files/folders to the network rather than the local hard disk.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children