23 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2010 12:16 PM by Jacob Bugge

Pleas help!

Daveyboy2010

Hi folks, I'm new here and new to Illustrator, I have a few problems that I have and wondered if it would be ok if any of you could spare a minute to help me out. I have posted a small video of the problem via youtube, any help on this small matter would be greatly appreciated and hopefully in the coming months when I increase my ability on this programme I could do the same for others.

Here is the link for the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTjtLk1L2Qg

Regards

• 1. Re: Pleas help!
          shunithD Level 3

Change the cap attribute of the stroke to 'Butt Cap' instead of 'Round Cap' or 'Projecting Cap'...???

• 2. Re: Pleas help!
            Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

newb,

If you change the stacking order so that the ellipse is above the line segment, as you can do/see in the Layers palette, the stroke of the latter will disappear beneath the fill of the former (no matter how far it extends).

Butt capping will give a cut appearance, but perpendicular to the line segment, not parallel with the ellipse.

The added stroked ellipse will add to the size of the ellipse.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Pleas help!
              Daveyboy2010 Level 1

Hi there, thank you kindly for your reply and a quick one at that. I have indeed attempted to simply change the cap but I'm afraid when I change it to either a butt or projecting cap the following happens (I have posted 2 still images from firstly the butt cap and projecting cap respectively)

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/373/buttcap.jpg

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/3091/projectingcap.jpg

Thank you for your time

Regards

• 4. Re: Pleas help!
                Daveyboy2010 Level 1

Hallo again, thank you very much for your help Jacob, I had a feeling that it had to be something simple in order to fix it and I just needed the right people to show me this. Thank you also to Shunith for your help on the matter. The problem is now fixed.

Have a good day

Regards

• 5. Re: Pleas help!

You are welcome, newb.

• 6. Re: Pleas help!
                    shunithD Level 3

Ah... it was a stacking order problem then... didn't catch that in the demo

Jacob, me lad, you're 'da Man'!

• 7. Re: Pleas help!

Shunith,

... didn't catch that in the demo

I hope it was not because of the soundtrack which might have been produced in East Kilbride or thereabouts.

• 8. Re: Pleas help!
                        JETalmage-71mYin Level 3
                        If you change the stacking order so that the ellipse is above the line segment, as you can do/see in the Layers palette, the stroke of the latter will disappear beneath the fill of the former

No, it won't. This is a Live Paint Group.

The added stroked ellipse will add to the size of the ellipse.

Stacking order will only affect this if the Ellipse is also stroked.

JET

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Pleas help!
                          Ignatius Fay Level 1

In my trial, the easiest way to eliminate the problem, if you do not want to stroke the ellipse, is to outline the stroke of the line. You lose the ability to edit the line, but the problem disappears.

• 10. Re: Pleas help!
                            Scott Falkner Level 5

This was easy. I used only the Live Paint Bucket to give the oval and the inner line segment no stroke. The differences are (1) I did not stroke the inner segment with the fill colour, and (2) I used the live paint tool to remove the stroke from the circle, rather than selecting it and removing the stroke.

Screen shot 2010-03-27 at 4.05.55 PM.PNG

• 11. Re: Pleas help!
                              Daveyboy2010 Level 1

Hi folks, thanks for all your help, I guess there is a variety of ways you can do it, I firstly tried Jacob's way of stacking order which worked but only if the line segment that is going through the circle is placed below the circle layer that is in Live paint (which is what you probably meant anyway). User Jet must have thought that the stacking order of the circle being above the line segment wouldn't have worked if they were both in a live paint group and the only way to fix that is if you keep the outline stroke of the circle which Jet pointed out, cheers. The thing that I have discovered after playing about with this problem more is that the stacking order of the line segment does infact need to be below the circle segment but both of these objects have to be in there own live paint layers, i.e - on top is the circle segment which is in its own live paint layer and then directly below this is the line segment layer which is its own live paint layer. Or is that what most of you were thinking anyway?

Ignatius, I'm pretty intrigued when you stated to delete the outline of the line, I didn't think that was possible since the line itself is the outline if you know what I mean but as I said I'm pretty new here so I guess you need to maybe explain that one to me?

One last thing, I was wondering as a new member of the board, do I have to reward people with correct answers badges etc when they give me advice, I just put helpful answers to the people who replied because as I said there is probably a variety of ways of doing this.

Thanks again

• 12. Re: Pleas help!
                                Daveyboy2010 Level 1

Hi again, sorry to user Ignatius, what you said was " ellipse, is to outline the stroke of the line" not delete it, can you maybe tell me what you meant by that one please?

Regards

Newb

• 13. Re: Pleas help!
                                  Ignatius Fay Level 1

Illustratornewb -

In Illustrator you have the option of leaving the line as a single line the width of which is defined by the amount of stroke you give it. Sometimes, depending upon the demands of your artwork, it is more convenient to turn the line into a rectangle that has the same dimensions as the original line except that it now has no stroke, but is filled by the same color instead. The result looks exactly the same except that the artwork is now defined by an unstroked line that goes completely around the outer edge - just as if you had drawn it with the rectangle tool. Now you can add control points wherever you like and edit portions of the line while the rest remains untouched.

The easiest way to understand it is to do it. Draw a line and, with it still selected, go to Object>Path>Outline Stroke. The change will be immeditely obvious.

I think if Scott were to draw his line at a shallower angle to the circumference of the circle that he would find his method still has problems. His example looks good, I think, because the line is nearly perpendicular to the circle. I couldn't reproduce his results at shallow angles.

Hope this helps.

• 14. Re: Pleas help!
                                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I did not get the same result so I did a movies as well showing the way I did this and it was quite q different result. I have the stroke mthod set to the default and that could be the problem.

Screen shot 2010-03-28 at 12.26.25 AM.png

Here is the movie perhaps just follow what I do and it should work. What you might be ding different I do not nkow perhaps you have a brush with an odd setting on it to produce the stroke?

here is the movie this is CS 4

http://mysite.verizon.net/wzphoto/LivePaint.mov

I see you are using a stroke of none and that is the problem. The only way is to outline the stroke paint the stroke of the elipse or do it  you are doing it.

• 15. Re: Pleas help!

For my part you are welcome, newb, and welcome here.

Hi folks, thanks for all your help, I guess there is a variety of ways you can do it, I firstly tried Jacob's way of stacking order which worked but only if the line segment that is going through the circle is placed below the circle layer that is in Live paint (which is what you probably meant anyway).
                                      Exactly.

User Jet must have thought that the stacking order of the circle being above the line segment wouldn't have worked if they were both in a live paint group and the only way to fix that is if you keep the outline stroke of the circle which Jet pointed out, cheers. The thing that I have discovered after playing about with this problem more is that the stacking order of the line segment does infact need to be below the circle segment but both of these objects have to be in there own live paint layers, i.e - on top is the circle segment which is in its own live paint layer and then directly below this is the line segment layer which is its own live paint layer. Or is that what most of you were thinking anyway?
                                      I believe this is what has caused the apparent differences of opinion.

Ignatius, I'm pretty intrigued when you stated to delete the outline of the line, I didn't think that was possible since the line itself is the outline if you know what I mean but as I said I'm pretty new here so I guess you need to maybe explain that one to me?
                                      Just an addition to what has been said: Like Type>Create Outlines, Object>Path>Outline Stroke is destructive in the sense that you can no longer change/edit freely. You should always save and keep a copy of the artwork prior to that destruction so you can go back; and obviously, it gives you more a soemtimes crucial freedom to have live Type and editable paths.

One last thing, I was wondering as a new member of the board, do I have to reward people with correct answers badges etc when they give me advice, I just put helpful answers to the people who replied because as I said there is probably a variety of ways of doing this.
                                      There are often different ways of doing things in Illy, which may have different strengths and serve different purposes.
                                      And this is a friendly forum without any specific way of doing things, friendliness, helpfulness, and good faith being natural expectations. About year back, the way the forums work changed completely; before that, we had what are still sometimes referred to as the fair forums, which were simpler and with fewer issues (if you try searching for something, or just switch from a post/thread in a several page thread/forum list you may begin to get a grasp of what I mean).

Edit: And if you do decide to become a member of the Illy tribe, you may need a more lasting name for yourself. We could do with some more members from over here (or from over there as James (or user Jet (sorry James, this is hopefully the only opportunity)) has it).

Edit again: If you are fond of colours, and wish to know more about the use of them, you may enjoy post #2 here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/604766?tstart=0

• 16. Re: Pleas help!
                                        JETalmage-71mYin Level 3

Scott,

Please describe exactly what you did. At the scale you posted, I can't tell from your screenshot whether the remaining black is in front of the orange.

I used only the Live Paint Bucket to give the oval and the inner line segment no stroke.

So did I.

The differences are (1) I did not stroke the inner segment with the fill colour

Nor did I.

and (2) I used the live paint tool to remove the stroke from the circle,

So did I.

rather than selecting it and removing the stroke.

I did not select anything. Just used the LivePaint bucket.

In other words: Within a Live Paint Group:

The Edges, as a set, are in front of the Faces, regardless of the stacking order of the original paths.

Within the Edges set, the Edges abide by the z-order of the original paths.

Within the Faces set, the Faces abide by the z-order of the original paths.

JET

• 17. Re: Pleas help!
                                          JETalmage-71mYin Level 3
                                          I was wondering as a new member of the board, do I have to reward people with correct answers badges etc when they give me advice

Nobody cares. That's just a silly (and ill-conceived) feature they added to the forum when it was downgraded from the more straightforward former forum to the present one with all its superfluous, meaningless, inefficient fluff and problematic coding.

As in any such user-to-user forum, this one contains as much bad advice as good, and the silly flags are no real indication of which is which.

The only (gentle) admonition I'd ask of you would be to title your posts with something more meaningful than "please help". That doesn't tell the visitor anything about the subject of the thread.

JET

• 18. Re: Pleas help!
                                            JETalmage-71mYin Level 3
                                            as James (or user Jet (sorry James, this is hopefully the only opportunity)) has it).

I don't understand that, Jacob.

user Jet

JET is just me signing my posts with my initials. James E. Talmage.

JET

• 19. Re: Pleas help!
                                              Daveyboy2010 Level 1

Hey folks, once again I would just like to thank you for the high volume of responses especially with the helpful stills and even a video to help me, I really didn't expect that, so thank you all very much. Yes you are correct I should have chosen a better name and I will try and make my topics headings more concise but as I said I'm just new here.

Regards

• 20. Re: Pleas help!
                                                Daveyboy2010 Level 1

Thanks for the video mate!

• 21. Re: Pleas help!

James,

If it was the as James has it part: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2669395#2669395

If it was the User Jet part, I cannot remember your not signing as JET; I just used the first reference by the OP in post #11, which I believe was caused by the fact that, hopefully for the last time ever, you are (again) the victim of the unbearable forum ID mess up, and therefore apparently another newbie member.

The reference to the colour post was meant to underline the silliness of forum appearances, apart from the sheer joy of rereading and sharing it.

• 22. Re: Pleas help!
                                                    Harron K. Appleman Level 4

Huh?

• 23. Re: Pleas help!

Hi Harron.

See post #9, and the OP, here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2685850#2685850