2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2007 9:26 AM by pixlor

Emporting image with slices

zorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrro Level 1
      I had a jpeg with some text that I placed into my Dreamweaver page which was about 31k. I took the same image and put a slice on the text to make the text a a GIF and the picture a JPEG, when I went to insert it as a Fireworks Html, it was 2k in size. Is this true? Did it go from 31k to 2k?
        • 1. Re: Emporting image with slices
          Level 7
          Sounds quite possible. Where you looking at the original as a FWs png file?
          In which case it would have had a load of extra information embedded so you
          could re-edit the file.

The easiest way to be sure is to upload the image/s somewhere so we could
          look at them.

Peter

"zorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrro" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:fc7rgb$eo7$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          |I had a jpeg with some text that I placed into my Dreamweaver page which
          was
          | about 31k. I took the same image and put a slice on the text to make the
          text a
          | a GIF and the picture a JPEG, when I went to insert it as a Fireworks
          Html, it
          | was 2k in size. Is this true? Did it go from 31k to 2k?
          |

• 2. Re: Emporting image with slices
            pixlor Level 4
            If I understand your scenario properly: your original .jpg was 31k; after you modified it in Fireworks and output a smaller .jpg and .gif combination, the .jpg portion was 2k. You want to know if such a file size reduction is possible.

Sure. For one thing, it sounds like you have two images, now, instead of one, so the smaller .jpg image will have a smaller file size. Plus, any time you re-save a .jpg, you lose more information and the file size becomes smaller. Finally, check the Quality on the export; the lower the number the smaller the file size will be. Since you're re-saving a .jpg file, you might want to raise the Quality to the highest value you can get.