5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2010 1:40 PM by the_wine_snob

VOB Video files play in Premier Elements but not in Organizer

PaulP549

I just purchased a new Dell Studio 15 Laptop, running Windows 7 (64bit), with an i7 cpu, and my VOB video files play and show a thumbnail in Premier Elements 8 but do not in the organizer.  Has anyone found this problem and a solution?

• 1. Re: VOB Video files play in Premier Elements but not in Organizer
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

Welcome to the forum.

This is just a guess, especially as I do not use Organizer, but a VOB file can contain more than just the MPEG-2 AV file. This ARTICLE will give you some background.

If you rip the MPEG-2's from the VOB containers, you will likely have the thumbnails.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: VOB Video files play in Premier Elements but not in Organizer
            PaulP549 Level 1

Hunt

Thank you for responding so quickly.  I first installed my Premier Elements 8 and Photoshop Elements 8 on our Vista desktop  computer, and everything worked fine.  I purchased my laptop with a  high end cpu, hoping to improve performance,  and moved my application over, and now I am unable to play these videos when in the Organizer, while they do play in Elements (they played in both applications on the slower Vista computer).

I tried to update premier elements to 8.0.1, (I am running 8.0)  but the updater sayes no updates are available.

I created the VOB files from my old family video tapes using a Sony DVDirect  DVD Recorder, model MRD-MC6 if that helps.  I didnt try to strip data from the files, because I dont know how, and think I shouldnt have to, given that everything worked fine on my older Vista desktop.

One other clue- if I try to import one file at a time to the organizer, I get the following error message:

"The selected file cannot be played because your system does not have the required compressor/decompressor (codec) installed.

Perhaps the Organizer and Premier Elements use different codecs, and the on in my organizer doesnt work."  Any ideas how to check if I have the proper codec(s)?

Paul

• 3. Re: VOB Video files play in Premier Elements but not in Organizer
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

It sounds like you might be missing the MPEG-2 CODEC, or that access to it is not working.

Because PrE uses the MainConcept MPEG-2 CODEC, installation of that program should also install that CODEC and flag it in the Registry.

moved my application over, and now I am unable to play these videos when in the Organizer,

How did you "move the application?" The first thing that I would do is a Repair Install of PrE 8. If you are missing some .dll's, etc., or some of the files are corrupt, this should repair/replace them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: VOB Video files play in Premier Elements but not in Organizer
                PaulP549 Level 1

I just tried changing the VOB file extensions to MPEG, based on your recommendation in the attached article you mentioned in your first reply-- and it worked!  It turned out that I also had to change the files that had an MPG extension to MPEG as well.  They didnt play in the  Organizer either until I did that.

Looks like VOB and MPG extensions are recognized when the appilcation is installed on a Vista machine, but not when installed on a Windows 7 system.

Thank for your help!

• 5. Re: VOB Video files play in Premier Elements but not in Organizer
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you got it sorted.

Those file extensions might be assignable in Win7, like they are in XP-Pro. One would go to Control Panel>Folder Options>File Types and then scroll down to the various file extensions. Once there, affiliation can be set to various programs. Might be worth a look, to get VOB and MPG to be "registered" with the proper programs.

Also be aware that various software installations will want to assign many popular, common file types to that program. Apple's QT Player used to do this automatically, every time that one updated it. Seems that now it asks the user if they want everything associated with QT Player. Other programs WILL re-associate file types, so keep that in the back of your mind. If suddenly, PSD's do not Open in PS, but in program _____, it is likely that the latter has now hooked .PSD's as its own.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful