11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2010 2:36 PM by Intercostal

Blueray authoring on Premiere? Or do I need Encore?

Intercostal Level 1

Does CS3 or CS4 do any Blueray authoring? Encore costs as much as Premiere so I assume it does a lot better. But

does Premiere do any at all?

• 1. Re: Blueray authoring on Premiere? Or do I need Encore?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

As of PrPro 2.0, there is zero authoring (it was only DVD then), so yes, you will use Encore for the authoring to either BD or DVD.

Good luck,

Hunt

BTW - if you have any Encore questions, there is a great Encore Forum. Some of the same people, as here, but some others, as well.

• 2. Re: Blueray authoring on Premiere? Or do I need Encore?
            Intercostal Level 1

Thanks, Bill.

I will no doubt have some questions for the Encore forum in the coming weeks.

• 3. Re: Blueray authoring on Premiere? Or do I need Encore?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As of CS3 Encore is bundled with Premiere Pro... so if you have CS3 or CS4 you also have Encore

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Blueray authoring on Premiere? Or do I need Encore?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Don't worry about asking questions on Encore. As it is an authoring program, and not an NLE, editors often ponder just how it works. Once one gets their "head around" the program, it is very simple and very powerful.

I also recommend that anyone using Encore pick up a copy of Jeff Bellune's wonderful book, The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe EncoreDVD 2.0, Focal Press. Do not let the name put you off. Yes, the book was written for EncoreDVD 2.0 (that was the name back then and it could be purchased as a stand-alone, or bundled with PrPro in suites like Production Studio. Everything in that book applies to CS3 & CS4 Encore. There are general concepts and then tons of tricks. The DVD (and BD) specs. are very strict, and can be limiting. Those tricks do not counter the specs., but create the illusion that the author has done so.

The only two things missing from that book are the BD authoring (almost exactly the same as for DVD, but with some neat, newer features, and also the differences in capacities), and the strengthened Adobe Dynamic Link for getting Sequences directly form PrPro and into an Encore Project. Both of those aspects are well-covered in the Help files. With Jeff's book the Help files, and your "new friends" in the Encore forum, there is almost nothing that you cannot do - so long as those DVD/BD specs allow for it. For nearly everything else - there's always the illusion!

Good luck, and I'll see ya' in the Encore forum,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Blueray authoring on Premiere? Or do I need Encore?
                  Intercostal Level 1

John,

I'm confused. I checked the case for my Premiere DVD and noticed there is an Encore CS3 DVD inside as well

and an Encore serial number.

Does this mean that I have a valid copy of Encore?

I thought Encore cost an additional $800(sold by itself for $800)?

• 6. Re: Blueray authoring on Premiere? Or do I need Encore?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

You DO have a copy of Encore. It is included (only, nowadays) with PrPro. Just install and Activate it. Note: like PrPro, you will need a Project to launch the program, but that is not an issue. It could also be that with the "training materials" there is a test Project file. It will be an NCOR file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Blueray authoring on Premiere? Or do I need Encore?
                      Intercostal Level 1

Thanks, Bill. I will look into Jeff's book. Good training books have always been a staple for me in the past for PPro, Maya, Lightwave, 3DSMax, and on and on.......

First, I have to

1. Quickly get a new workstation computer next week to replace my blue-screen-crashing-when-running-PP-CS3-as-a-result-of-a-new-harddrive laptop .

2. Reinstall PP CS3/4,  install Encore, etc.... on new computer

3. Finish laying in the music for my 15 minute short film(99.9%every other aspect: editing/effects/compositing/dubbing.....) is completed...

A roughly 2 week or so process

4: Finally(provided there are no unforeseen problems prior to this step), quickly learn Encore, render the movie to Blueray and everything that will entail regarding compression/quality, etc......

But first things first...and that is the new computer starting Monday.

• 8. Re: Blueray authoring on Premiere? Or do I need Encore?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

By the time that you have finished the first steps, Jeff's book will have arrived. Give it a quick read, to get the "lay of the land," and then keep it handy. Oh, as you skim it, you will start to get some ideas on ways to improve things greatly. Do not get discouraged. The next step is great fun - let you imagination run wild. If Jeff does not give you the tips on realizing that vision, the Encore forum will.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Blueray authoring on Premiere? Or do I need Encore?
                          akribie Level 2

As has already been mentioned, the basics of Encore haven;t changed since it first came out.  Just a few extras each time a new version comes out, but the extras are fairly easy to work once you've got the basics.

This means that Curt Wrigley's excellent introductory (and free) video tutorials remain relevant.  See http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/videotutorial/tut_encore.htm

• 10. Re: Blueray authoring on Premiere? Or do I need Encore?
                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Be sure to DEACTIVATE all Adobe (and other) products before installing on a new computer

The license does allow you to install on 2 computers (idea is desktop and laptop for trips) but if you are going to git rid of the bad computer anyway, you want to have your 2 activations available

And, once all is set up and working on the new computer, make a full drive image in case you need to restore

The program I use is in my notes http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM#SmartOwn

PS

You have the full user guides for PPro and Encore in PDF form on the discs

• 11. Re: Blueray authoring on Premiere? Or do I need Encore?
                              Intercostal Level 1

Thanks, Bill, Akribie and John. I'm checking out the video link and info link. Good advice and info.