9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2010 2:58 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Pro 4.2.1 run error

82ElshamRoad

I read another discussion a few pages ago where someone had problems setting up the Premiere CS4 update, 4.2.1, after downloading it. I'm having the same problem he had: it tells me to close Bridge before it runs the ap, but I don't even have Bridge open - nor any other programs. Someone suggested he try to run the application in Bridge itself, and it worked for him. But that isn't working for me. Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro 4.2.1 run error
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Take a look in Task Manager and see if Bridge really is running. If so close it there, and then run the update.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro 4.2.1 run error
            82ElshamRoad Level 1

Sorry, I already tried that. No such luck. One of the problems may be that - although I'm not too new to Premiere - I really don't know anything about Bridge. Can it act as a browser? If so, should I perhaps delete my download and try to download the update again through Bridge? Hey, maybe a dumb question, but I'm a newbie, and this is my first real editing platform outside of work - where, thankfully, they have IT guys who know what they're doing.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro 4.2.1 run error
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Bridge is a media browser and works between most of the commonly bundled programs, like PrPro, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc.

It is a stand-alone program, and can be also launched from within those programs. When one launches from inside, say PS, and then an image file is Selected and Enter hit, that image will Open in PS. Otherwise, one could drag it to any other Adobe program, that can Import/Open that file type.

Most users find that doing the updates FROM Bridge is the best way to do it, as it will look for updates for all Adobe programs, that it works with - basically "one-stop-shopping."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro 4.2.1 run error
                82ElshamRoad Level 1

Bill, thanks, and I just MAY be on the right track, but I'm still striking out. In Bridge I was able to hit the help button and look for updates there. It told me all the Adobe updates I needed, and it said it would download AND install them. Cool! Well, it downloaded them, but it didn't install them. I went to the folder where I downloaded them, and most of them were still in .zip form. So, I extracted the files and run set-up on all of the updated Adobe applications. Most of them worked, but I'm still getting the same "close Bridge" error reading and can't run aps on updates for PrPro, Encore, and a couple of other CS4 programs, including the new encoder. I'll take another shot at it, but this is getting weird.  I don't get how I can close Bridge when I'm using Bridge to run the set-ups...

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro 4.2.1 run error
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, let's try a slightly different tack here.

I'd also make sure that Adobe Flash Player has been updated, as many Adobe installers rely on it heavily.

Then, Extract all those ZIP files, being sure to check Include All Folders, to an easily accessible folder structure. Check to make sure that each has Extracted, and that each has any included folder structure there.

Now, boot up in Safe Mode, so that your Startup programs do not launch. When booted up, I'd do Start>Run and navigate to the executable in each of those root folders. The updates should install.

Hope that this works fine, and good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro 4.2.1 run error
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, check your Photoshop (if you have it) and in Preferences, turn OFF Bridge's AutoStart.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro 4.2.1 run error
                      82ElshamRoad Level 1

Well, that did it! Thanks, now I can edit!!! I'll try this approach again in the future. By the way, what is the best way to get rid of duplicate and/or unneeded files and/or extensions (not just Adobe) that are probably hanging around in my system? Space isn't a problem, and the computer is running like a top now. But I know that after so many downloads and upgrades and probably redundant files being piled on top of one another, there must be a lot of garbage in there that I don't need. I know that's usually just a Windows function along the lines of defragging (which I usually do about once a month...?), but I always hesitate to delete anything unless I'm sure it's worthless. If you know of a link that is helpful for emerging computer guys, I'd be grateful. And, thanks again.

Paul

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro 4.2.1 run error
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

Great news, and thanks for reporting.

As far as cleaning things up, I like CCleaner. Make sure to allow it to do a backup, before you let it do any file deletion. That is just good security and wise practice.

Others might have some better utilities.

Also, for finding duplicate files, scattered about the system, I like DupeFile Finder.

Good luck,

Hunt