13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2010 12:55 AM by Haacko

Losing audio importing a VOB file V8 sound when

Haacko Level 1

I hope someone can help - loosing the audio when inporting

a VOB file.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tony

• 1. Re: Losing audio importing a VOB file V8 sound when
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is aimed at Premiere Pro, but may help
          A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Many of the ideas at the next link are generic enough they have helped some Non-Premiere users fix problems

Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link

Sound Problems - update sound/Realtek drivers, Then try downloading and installing ASIO4All http://www.asio4all.com

• 2. Re: Losing audio importing a VOB file V8 sound when
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Tony,

A VOB is a container, and part of what is very likely to be inside that is a muxed (Multiplexed) MPEG-2 AV file (or a part of it). Depending on a lot of things, this alone might be an issue. Also, an MPEG-2 file, under the DVD-specs. can have either PCM/WAV, or DD AC3 Audio. The latter might be DD 2-channel, or DD 5.1 SS Audio. Those can be problematic, when multiplexed.

G-Spot, the free, utility should show you what you have for Audio. That might have a bearing on the issue.

In a worst-case scenario, one might want to rip the Audio from the VOB and then Import the resulting PCM/WAV into PrE and replacing the MPEG Audio.

This ARTICLE will give you some background on VOB's.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I assume that you are having no problems with Audio in PrE, beyond the VOB's. Is that correct?

• 3. Re: Losing audio importing a VOB file V8 sound when
              Haacko Level 1

Yes - no problems apart from this one file.  I am currently converting the

file to an MPEG to try.  Have little knowledge in this area.  Thanks, Hunt

• 4. Re: Losing audio importing a VOB file V8 sound when
                the_wine_snob Level 9

What are you using to do the ripping of the MPEG-2 from the VOB container? Some programs are better than others.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Losing audio importing a VOB file V8 sound when
                  Haacko Level 1

Quick media converter - a free one from Tucows.  So far not successful.

Would appreciate your inputs.

Tony

• 6. Re: Losing audio importing a VOB file V8 sound when
                    Haacko Level 1

Have notice the following when I double click on the file in the media

window

1) goes into a loop

2_ Conforming

3) Indexing

4) then starts over again.

I have converted to an AVI file - and okay.  Suspect a setup issue?

Regards

Tony

• 7. Re: Losing audio importing a VOB file V8 sound when
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Tony,

I am not familiar with this conversion program. Some are better than others.

One of the most often recommended ones, around here, is Prism. Now, I do not know how well it works with VOB files (actually the embedded MPEG-2 file inside). Others can probably recommend many other programs to do the ripping.

Here is a FAQ Entry from the Encore Forum on some software to use. I have never used any, so cannot comment on how well, or how poorly any works.

I do not worry about using software to rip from a non-commercial DVD-Video, if I have to use that source. Instead, I have a VHS/DVD player hooked to my system through a digitizing device, and just do a Capture to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. I can cue up the DVD, should I want to Capture just portions of the DVD. I then just Import those DV-AVI files into PrE, and they edit smoothly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Losing audio importing a VOB file V8 sound when
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

1) goes into a loop

2) Conforming

3) Indexing

4) then starts over again.

I have converted to an AVI file - and okay.  Suspect a setup issue?

Not sure what is happening here.

Lets look at #2 and #3 for a moment: Conforming is a two part process, and is necessary to edit. All Audio streams are Conformed, which is a conversion from their specs. to 32-bit Floating Point so that one can edit. This will happen with all Audio files, and is quickest with certain Audio specs., like 48KHz 16-bit. Others, like 44.KHz 16-bit take just a moment longer, and some specs. will require even more time. At this time, the PEK files are also created. These are what one sees as the Waveform Display, when the Clip is on the Timeline. That is the little symbolic Audio Wave, that is displayed.

Indexing is a process that takes place when one has a file format/CODEC other than DV-AVI Type II, and is most common with MPEG source files. This process gets the files from a GOP (Group of Pictures) into a full I-Frame format, so that one can edit at the Frame level.

You say that you converted to AVI. What were the specs. of those converted AVI files? "AVI" is but a wrapper, not totally unlike the VOB container. They can contain all sorts of "stuff." For editing in an Adobe program, one wants DV-AVI Type II, which is a very specific AVI, and has certain characteristics. Those characteristics are exactly what PrE wants to edit. If you are getting Indexing, it would seem very likely that your AVI's are NOT DV-AVI Type II. This ARTICLE will give you some background on "AVI" as a wrapper.

If you are not sure of the specs. on the AVI's that you converted to, that article will give you the link to the great, free utility, G-Spot. Use it to tell you exactly what type of AVI you ended up with.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Losing audio importing a VOB file V8 sound when
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Tony,

All VOB files? What about the audio for non VOB files?

Most of the time, the Premiere Elements Media Downloader handles these VOB imports OK. But, there are many instances where it does not. When it does not, the problems typically present as a video quality issues or out of sync audio. For the latter, MPEG Streamclip (for 4:3 as well as 16:9 VOBs) is top of my list for converting the VOB to DV AVI (4:3 or 16:9) and then bringing the DV AVI into Premiere Elements. Prism Converter does the job, but only offers DV AVI 4:3.

http://www.squared5.com/

http://download.cnet.com/Prism-Video-Converter/3000-2194_4-10644345.html

Settings details can be provided if you do not have them.

ATR

• 11. Re: Losing audio importing a VOB file V8 sound when
                            Haacko Level 1

Many thaks.  I have downloaded Streamclip - stuck on the part of loading the

MPEG-2.  I am using the alternative software - but have had no success

loading the MPEG-2.  Any ideas?  The solution appears to be good.  I have

16:9 video.

Many thanks

Tony

• 12. Re: Losing audio importing a VOB file V8 sound when
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Tony,

Let us go through this step by step.

You can download MPEG Streamclip 1.2 plus QuickTime Alternative 1.81 which has the required MPEG2 Playback Component, but to get that to work you have to uninstall the regular QuickTime. Yes Premiere Elements will work with QuickTime Alternative, but I do not believe iTunes will. That is the completely free route.

Alternatively, you can download MPEG Streamclip 1.2, leave your regular QuickTime installed, do not install the QuickTime Alternative 1.81, but then you have to buy the required MPEG2 Playback Component from Apple. (If you need a link for that, please let me know.)

Given you have a VOB 16:9

1. Open MPEG Streamclip and go to File Menu/Open Files...navigate to the VOB located on the hard drive.

2. Then with file opened in MPEG Streamclip, File Menu/Export to AVI

3. In the AVI/DivX Exporter Dialog

Video Compression: Apple DV/DVCPRO NTSC (or Apple DV PAL or Apple DVCPRO PAL depending on your location)

Sound: Uncompressed

Frame Size: 720 x 480 for NTSC (or 720 x 576 for PAL depending on your location)

Field Dominance: Lower Field First

Go up to the top right of the dialog where it says Options and just set that for 16:9.

There is also a check off spot for "Deinterlace" if necessary.

What specifically is happening in loading the VOB into MPEG Streamclip? Any messages? If so, what are they saying?

ATR

• 13. Re: Losing audio importing a VOB file V8 sound when
                                Haacko Level 1

ATR - I tried the no cost option - spent too much time trying....  Purchased

the Apple MPEG2 product and everything works as per your instructions.  Not

too sure what exactly I am doing from a techical point of view - but

everything is workng.  I've printed out the instructions and these will be

bed time reading tonight.

I am in New Zealand using the PAL format.

I understand that from your experience this product together with Streamclip

gives a very good result with minimal (if any?) loss in quality.  The

prevous product I was using I felt did loose some quality along the way.

I thought about buying Quicktime Pro instead of the MPEG2 product - wasn't

sufficently clear on the differences.  I suspect that Pro does the same as

MPEG2 but enables more features such such as making movies suitable for

emailing?

Again - many thanks for your help.

Tony