3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2010 8:06 AM by the_wine_snob

720 x 480 .mpg formatted video displaying in 4:3 ratio

Derek Toigo Level 1

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a Canon FS30 camcorder. I have imported the files to my PC and they are in the .mpg format and have a size of 720 x 480. However, when I create a project in Premiere Pro and attempt to place the footage onto the timeline, it displays in a "strecthed down" format where the video is scrunched. I believe it is trying to display in a 4:3 aspect ratio. This phenomenon also occurs when uploading the native video to YouTube; it is scrunched to the size (I am unaware of what this size is). I have used multiple formats in Premiere including the 16:9 and 4:3 presets to no avail of the video displaying properly, and the fact that this is happening on YouTube as well leads me to believe that the files are the problem. I'll note that the only way I've been able to view the files in their proper size and resolution is through Windows Media Player. As such, I am wondering if anyone else has experienced or is familiar with this issue as well and if you can point me in the right direction -  I'm not sure if there's something I don't know about the MPG format, so if anyone can advise me with a way to edit and output (export) these files in their native resolution it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks kindly,

Derek