21 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2010 8:39 AM by able123

Install under Administrator or User Account w/ Administrator?

Doryphoros

I was wondering how did you guys install your CS4 on windows 7. Do you install it under Administrator account or under User with Administrator priviledge? What is the difference anyway?

• 1. Re: Install under Administrator or User Account w/ Administrator?
          dradeke Adobe Employee

I always do the former, but I don't know if there's a difference or a preferred way.

Dennis

• 2. Re: Install under Administrator or User Account w/ Administrator?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

I don't know the difference either, but when installing Windows, I make ONE user account under my own name that belongs to the Administrator group. Nothing else.

• 3. Re: Install under Administrator or User Account w/ Administrator?
              Level 4

I would use administrator. Admin priviledges gives you right to install and uninstall programs and make most changes to your system, but only administrator, IIRC, can actually get into some areas and make changes..

Like these areas...

objects1.jpg

objects2.jpg

Not that normal editing use and so on would require this level of access...but why not just have it as admin just in case.

Rod

• 5. Re: Install under Administrator or User Account w/ Administrator?
                Doryphoros Level 1

I also install CS4 under Administrator. That means I logon as Administrator.

Here's the issue. I don't know if this is related to installation of CS4 or what.

After installation is done, everything works fine under Administrator account and my own account (w/ admin priviledge). BUT when I create a new user account (doesn't matter Standard user or Administrator), then logon using that account. And launch P-Pro CS4 it gave me an error "LoadLibrary failed with error 1114: A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed".

All CS4 are up to date as well as my Windows 7 64bit.

cs4_error.jpg

• 6. Re: Install under Administrator or User Account w/ Administrator?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I am sorry, but I must be daft tonight. If all works when you have installed as an Administrator, and when you log-in as an Administrator, why are you then creating other User Accounts, without Administrator privileges? I have to be missing something here.

If you must create these other accounts, can you Rt-click on PrPro.exe and choose Run As Administrator?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Install under Administrator or User Account w/ Administrator?
                    Doryphoros Level 1

OK. Thanks for your reply Bill. I need to create a new user account because we got a new editor coming in working for us. I don't want him to logon as administrator. So then I created a new account Standard user for him, results: that error. Tried created a new account as administrator (for a test) = same error.

• 8. Re: Install under Administrator or User Account w/ Administrator?
                      Level 4

Hi,

A couple years ago I was using XP as a server on a machine ( IIS ) - internet information services -- which I installed as administrator and no other user accounts at the time.  I used visual studio.net ( ms program ) and ms SQL and the .net framework to make a web application...that I ran on the server...

Then I created a user account to test the application's security.  Basically what IIS lets you do is run a computer as both a server and a client in the same machine...sooooo, when I created the new user account I tested the web application.

Then....a little later...I had a windows update for the .net framework, installed as administrator....but from then on things got ugly....for some reason I no longer had access as administrator to a lot of server related stuff on my own machine !   What I figured was this....if you install some programs with certain accounts present at the time they will work OK....  But if you add accounts sometimes those programs won't bridge whatever gap is in the code for security access to the previously installed programs.

I would bet that if you reinstall your program, with the user account already on machine...you won't have your problems anymore...

Rod

• 9. Re: Install under Administrator or User Account w/ Administrator?
                        Level 4

Hi,

Just another quick note...re: windows security

There are a zillion security settings you can manually change for users / groups, etc...and I must have spent hundreds of hours playing around with that stuff to get my machine working right with the new user account...personally if you know a really really good pro IT person to try that route it might be worth it, but I found it a little like having a sharp stick in my eye.

Rod

• 10. Re: Install under Administrator or User Account w/ Administrator?
                          Doryphoros Level 1

Robodog2. "I would bet that if you reinstall your program, with the user account already on machine...you won't have your problems anymore..."

Yes, I agree Rod. Because the original user account with administrator priviledge (account that was created during windows installation) seems to work fine. I tried to switch this account to Standard User, and everything still works fine. I switch it back to Administrator, everything still works fine. Sooo... I guess all the account created during windows installation would work fine. I was hoping user account(s) created after all installation should be fine. I guess they're not. Might have to do fresh install starting with windows and add many user accounts to spare.

I was just wondering if any of you guys willing to try create a new user account and then test CS4, if they work fine on your machine. Thanks.

• 11. Re: Install under Administrator or User Account w/ Administrator?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Because PrPro really, really wants to be run from an Administrator Account, there might be issues. I'm not an OS security guru, but I would think that you could create an Account with limited privileges, one of which would be to allow one to Rt-click on PrPro in Windows Explorer, or similar, and for that program, allow Run As Administrator. Otherwise, some mutual trust might be necessary. Wish I had a definitive answer for you there. Maybe you could hold the new editor's Rolex as security... ?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Install under Administrator or User Account w/ Administrator?
                              Level 4

I would try to just uninstall cs4, do the clean up thing everyone talks

about here....a couple times....and then create user accounts you want, and

then re-install cs4...I don't think you have to do a windows

re-install...unless this doesnt work...but I think it would...

In other words, you have no cs4 on machine....create accounts....then

install cs4 from admin account.....

Should then work for everyone...

(fingers crossed )

Rod

• 13. Re: Install under Administrator or User Account w/ Administrator?
                                Level 4

note: getting back to what Bill just said,....that it wants to run on an admin account....what I mean is that all users in the admin group ( you can create a couple extra ones with password protection ).... should work....as long as those accounts are there when you reinstall cs4...

Rod

ps    NOOOOOO (shaking like a leaf !!!!!!   )  wont create new user account !  noooooooooo !!!!!!    haha...kidding..I dont have cs4, I use cs3...sorry

• 14. Re: Install under Administrator or User Account w/ Administrator?
                                  Level 4

yikes...one more note....

On the new editors account, it might have to be an admin account for cs4 to work right...like Bill mentions.....and I imagine that's probably true....but I also think you can go into that one user account ( not the admin group but just that user ) and apply security restrictions for that one user....for example, he cannot alter accounts and passwords, and whatever you don't want him to be able to do....

I'll check on that....

Rod

• 15. Re: Install under Administrator or User Account w/ Administrator?
                                    Level 4

Found something...this is the entire page link

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc507861.aspx

Follows is a section of the above document:

----------------------

Marking an Application that Requires a Full Administrator Access Token

There may be situations where certain applications will not function correctly unless they are run by a user with a full administrator access token. This can occur with pre-Windows Vista programs that are not designed to operate under the UAC environment. Microsoft has provided a mechanism to ensure that these applications can be enabled so they will always be marked as requiring a full administrator access token. The following procedure details how to mark an application to always require an administrator access token when it is launched.
                                    To mark an application to always require a full administrator access token

1. Right click the program you would like to modify and select Properties.
                                       2. In Properties, select the Compatibility tab.
                                       3. Under Privilege Level, select the Run this program as an administrator check box, and then click Apply or OK.
                                       4. If this is the first time the application has been marked to run as an administrator, a dialog box will appear.
                                       5. Click OK to continue.

Cc507861.aa906022_note(en-us,TechNet.10).gifNote

If this is the first time that this application was marked, a message will appear indicating that Windows Vista will instruct the application to gather information about which operations the program is performing that requires it to run with a full administrator access token. This information will help Microsoft determine if any steps can be taken to correct the program in the future so that will no longer require a full administrator access token. When asked to check for "Solutions to Problems," always check for solutions on any product that has a LUADiagnostics problem. This will ensure that the collected information is sent to Microsoft. If you do not want to send this information, do not check for "Solutions to Problems."

Once complete, the program will prompt for elevation consent whenever it is launched.

--------------------------------

So, you would uninstall cs4, run cleanup utility a bunch of times with reboots as people mention here...( I've never done it ).....create your new accounts including extra admin just in case ( with passwrd protection ) .....then re-install cs4  ..........then give cs4 the above permission to run under the admin access token.... then an normal user should be able to run it ......not just an admin account group....

good luck

Rod

• 16. Re: Install under Administrator or User Account w/ Administrator?
                                      Level 4

This is where it starts to feel like a sharp stick in the eye....

Here's yet ANOTHER possibility....I'm using XP though, so I don't know if you have this option

If I right click my shortcut ( when I am admin ) and then click advanced I get this option....I didn't try it cause I don't want to mess with this stuff ...but if you check run as another user...you may be giving the admin priviledge ( token for this program ) to any power user for example...

Worth looking into if you have this option...problem with other programs like photoshop etc might not exist as the dll library isnt the same...I don't know...just thought I'd show you this..

credentials.jpg

Rod

• 17. Re: Install under Administrator or User Account w/ Administrator?
                                        Doryphoros Level 1

Arrrgghh.... No luck here. I guess I'm gonna have to take the long hard way over the weekend. That is format the system start over again, install windows with extra user accounts. Then install CS4 and everything else back.

@Bill: Yeah Bill, if only the editor has a Rolex hehehe.... I think if they have it then, they won't be working for me.

@Robodog: Thanks for all the efforrts bro. Unfortunately it still not solving my problem. However the information you post might be useful somehow in someother case. By checking the compatibility tab and Run This as Administrator. It requires all the non-admin user to type in admin password when they run the program.

• 18. Re: Install under Administrator or User Account w/ Administrator?
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                          @Bill: Yeah Bill, if only the editor has a Rolex hehehe.... I think if they have it then, they won't be working for me.

OK, maybe a Patek Philippe?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Install under Administrator or User Account w/ Administrator?
                                            Level 4

sheesh...

I loath the security stuff...  when I go to a library and use their computers I am often very impressed with how the administrators set up those networks so people can use so much stuff and yet have a secure system...  sure is beyond me.

Good luck !  Let us know how it goes !

Rod

• 20. Re: Install under Administrator or User Account w/ Administrator?
                                              Doryphoros Level 1

@Rod. Those computers at the library mostly use third party security program. Same thing like internet cafe. I used to use that back in Windows95 era.