4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2010 8:34 AM by Ghonet

Adobe PDF Reader 2010

Barcode54

Hi all, I just received an email offering me the latest PDF Reader 2010. I am a bit suspicious, especially since I can't find any reference to it on the Adobe website. The link it wants me to click on to go and down load it is [url removed by host].

Does anyone know whether this is legitimate or a scam to make me download something detrimental to my PC???

PLEASE - DON'T CLICK ON THE LINK UNLESS YOU KNOW FOR SURE IT IS SAFE.

I have added the text for the link but the editor seems to have turned it into a hyperlink.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Adobe PDF Reader 2010
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It is a scam.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adobe PDF Reader 2010
            NoiseOfCrickets

Hi Barcode54,

I too received that same email this morning and was immediately suspicious as it was sent to an email address that I don't use for my Adobe product registration. Well, that and a domain name as clumsy as adobe-pdf-reader2010.com smells strongly of spam, or worse.

A quick whois search reveals that the domain name adobe-pdf-reader2010.com is registered to an individual in New York. Furthermore, the registered Gmail email address (zzztommyzzz) is used in 17 other domain name registrations, all with equally dodgy names like Adobe-pdf-2010.info, Adobe-pdf-support.com and Pdf-adobe-2010.com. Safe to say this is most likely a phishing scam, so I'd avoid clicking on that link.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Adobe PDF Reader 2010
              Barcode54 Level 1

Thanks Noisy, confirmed my hunch.

You certainly have to keep your wits about you nowdays, the amount of others that know your email addresses without your knowing is frightening.

Cheers,

• 4. Re: Adobe PDF Reader 2010
                Ghonet

I've just got one too.

Googled it and found your post.

Will be adding to Mail Control blacklist!