6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2010 8:34 PM by jckarbow

Why can't I import CR2(raw) images

jckarbow

I just purchased Adobe PS Elements 8 to replace my 5.0. I was able to import pictures from my Canon Rebel xsi 450, via usb wire, except the CR2(raw) images. Once the import gets to these I get a pop up that states "Elements Organizer cannot obtain files from this device. Please ensure the device is connected properly, or that the battery is charged, and try again." My battery is fully charged and I disconnected and reconnected 2 x's. Why can't I import these photos?

• 1. Re: Why can't I import CR2(raw) images

I have the same problem.  I installed Adobe Raw 5.6 and followed the instructions, and still can't imort cr2 files.  Any help would be appreciated...

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit, PSE8.

Thanks,

Mike M

• 2. Re: Why can't I import CR2(raw) images
            Level 4

You need to specify which particular model of Canon camera is generating those raw CR2 images.  That makes all the difference in the world.

• 3. Re: Why can't I import CR2(raw) images
              93284892 Level 1

My mistake, I was in a rush when I posted it.  I ran some tests, and think I answered my own question:

It's a Canon T2i...  Yes, I know I need Camera Raw 5.7.  But when I try to install the RC of 5.7, I just get a message that it cannot be installed, please click quit (perhaps it only works with Photoshop cs4, not Elements 8?).   So, as a test I loaded 5.6 (for Elements), and then tried to open a 7D cr2 file (which should be supported).  It works fine...  So, I'm wondering if I need to load a whole new version 5.7 to load the T2i files or if I can just load the 8Bi file from the new version?  I'm not sure where that file would be in the install package.  I have a feeling I'll just have to wait for the full version of 5.7 to come out...

Thanks for your reply.

• 4. Re: Why can't I import CR2(raw) images
                Level 4

93284892 wrote:

It's a Canon T2i…  I have a feeling I'll just have to wait for the full version of 5.7 to come out...

That is correct.  ACR 5.7 RC does not support Elements.

• 5. Re: Why can't I import CR2(raw) images
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The ACR 5.7 Camera RAW.8bi works with PSE 8, but the installer doesn't install it unless you have CS4, so you have to be devious. 

You can rename the 1003 file in the 32-bit version's Assets directory to Camera RAW.8bi and copy it to the same directory as the existing Camera RAW.8bi for Elements AND you have to install the LR 2.7 RC to get the T2i Camera Profile .dcp files.  If you don’t want LR 2.7 on your computer then go find the Canon EOS 500D .dcp files, zip them up, uninstall LR 2.7, and then put them back if they disappeared as part of the uninstall of LR.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Why can't I import CR2(raw) images
                    jckarbow Level 1

Thank You for the support. I forgot about the install of the Camera Raw Plug In hence the fact it's been so long. Previous version Elements 5.0. I do have one problem I am concerned about moving files as the instructions ask once the 5.6 version is installed. Which do I move out of C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements 8\File\Formats\ ??? I have files which all end with extension .8BI: FilmStrip, PCX, Pixar, Targa & WBMP

Also do I move all 3 files into this same folder from 5.6 download folder which are: Win64, CameraRaw.8bi & CameraProfiles.exe???