4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2010 7:25 PM by the_wine_snob

Can't import MPEG files

I used to capture video with a camera in .MPG and work it in Premiere Pro, but the computer I was using failed. I just installed Premiere Pro in this new one, but it won't open them, saying that the files are either corrupted or unsupported. I tried them in other softwares with no problem, so it only remains to think that the program doesn't suppoert them anymore, I guess.

What should I do? Do I need to install a codec?

• 1. Re: Can't import MPEG files
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Do you have the full-paid version of PrPro, or the trial?

If you have the full-paid version, have you updated to CS4.2?

If you have the full-paid version, and have upgraded, it is possible that your installation has reverted to the "trial." This has happened to several recently.

You will want to Deactivate your copy of PrPro, if that option is available (not grayed out), then uninstall CS4. Run Adobe Clean Script CS4 several times, rebooting between each run. Then, install CS4, and do all of the updates, before you use the program.

That should get your MPEG back.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Welcome to the forum!

• 2. Re: Can't import MPEG files
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Use the FREE http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ to determine the codec, then find and install just that codec

Do NOT install something like the klite codec pack... many problems for many people

• 3. Re: Can't import MPEG files
              000035 Level 1

Heh, currently I got the K-lite installed.

Should I uninstall it, then? I tried reinstalling and updating to no avail.

• 4. Re: Can't import MPEG files
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, K-Lite usually installs FFDShow, which messes up many Adobe programs. It also overwrites many good CODEC's with hacked versions. I would first uninstall everything related to K-Lite, including FFDShow, if possible.

Some users have found that only a complete wipe and reformatting of their system HDD will get rid of some of this stuff. I am anything but a fan of any CODEC packs. They are usually a horrible problem.

Good luck with uninstalling. I would also run CCleaner, or similar, when done, and hope that you can clean that stuff out.

Good luck,

Hunt