9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2010 5:06 AM by readysteady101

Help with navigation bar please.

readysteady101

Hello, and thanks for your time. Im using Fireworks cs3 to make a navbar, but cant seem to get it to work. Im following this tutorial:

http://www.bestechvideos.com/2008/09/02/adobe-cs-create-a-navigation-bar-in-fireworks

My problem is, Im trying to make 5 buttons in the navbar, utilising an up/over and down state. When I try to navigate with them, (Im not too advanced

either in ability or with the site itself) in a couple of test pages, my up and over states are fine, but the down state is not present, and, when I press the

back button and return to the page Ive just clicked out of..my down button is working...but in the previous page. Im trying to get this for a school

assignment and am hoping someone can put me right before I lose all my hair, thanks again.

• 1. Re: Help with navigation bar please.
          readysteady101 Level 1

OOoopps! Should have mentioned Im exporting the buttons into Dreamweaver 8

• 2. Re: Help with navigation bar please.
            pixlor Level 4

If you're going to be working in Dreamweaver, anyway, the better approach is to create and export your graphics (and only your graphics) from Fireworks, then use Dreamweaver's built in nav bar or image rollover functionality to create your code. The HTML code from Fireworks is not all that great, really.

• 3. Re: Help with navigation bar please.
              readysteady101 Level 1

Hello Pixlor, and thanks for your reply.  Im starting to think along those lines too, but my problem

is I want to make two of my buttons open a pop-up menu, and in order to save repeating this on every page

I tried to make the navbar in a .lbi file, but when I try this I cant set up the pop-up in the behaviour panel, its

seems to be greyed out.

Also, I did try the method you mention on a couple of test pages, but the same problem persists, when the page

opens the button is in the "up state" and not down as intended.

I have to admit, after spending three days trying to get this to work, and trawling the internet for tutorials and following

them, I am a little bit worn out, not to mention overwhelmmed as I have other assignments and just seem to

be wasting time getting nowhere.

I have a question, should I have the button set to "down on page open?" I ask that at the risk of seeming like

a real noob, but that is what I am.

Thanks again Pixlor, appreciate your efforts to help

EDIT: Ok, let me ask this quesion another way.

Am  I trying to do something in Fireworks cs3 that wiser people have given up on or found a better way.

And if so, could somebody please point me in the right direction. All Im trying to do is build buttons to

display the up/down/over state and nothing seems to work, either exporting from Fireworks or building

a navbar in Dreamweaver.

Message was edited by: readysteady101

• 4. Re: Help with navigation bar please.
                pixlor Level 4

I usually build simpler sites and don't use pop-up menus at all. Still...

1) Fireworks is not a code authoring program, and what you're trying to do involves creating code. You really want to use Dreamweaver for coding. FW can do some simple stuff for making prototypes. If you're making a live site, or anything complex, though, you don't do it in FW.

2) For anything complex with pop-up menus, most people here recommend the Project VII menus (http://www.projectseven.com/products/menusystems/index.htm which you have to buy). If you're trying to do a student project, you might want to scale back the menu system to something more workable.

Alternatively, you could try searching for CSS menu systems, rather than graphical ones. You might have better luck there. Hmm. Try here: http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Help with navigation bar please.
                  readysteady101 Level 1

Hello again Pixlor, and thanks again. I understand what your saying about coding in Fireworks, but when I try to make my up/down/over buttons work just using Dreamweaver to make the navbar only the up/over work. Am I missing something simple. Im going through the proper procedures as far as I can tell, but when I view the pages in my browser the same problem persists

I am trying to keep it simple but pop-up menus and active buttons are assignment requirements, but we didnt get too far into all that before the Easter holidays, all worked well in school but now nothing but problems. Thanks again for help, much appreciated

EDIT: Well, finally got things to work. Needed to pay a bit more attention to detail and spent lots more time on this than I should have, but very happy with the result. I wasnt exporting "multiple files for use without frames" but once that glitch was ironed out all is well.

Thanks for your efforts Pixlor, sometimes software sux, but when it works out we do tend to forget the frustration we suffered while getting there

• 6. Re: Help with navigation bar please.
                    pixlor Level 4

readysteady101 wrote:

Hello again Pixlor, and thanks again. I understand what your saying about coding in Fireworks, but when I try to make my up/down/over buttons work just using Dreamweaver to make the navbar only the up/over work. Am I missing something simple. Im going through the proper procedures as far as I can tell, but when I view the pages in my browser the same problem persists

I am trying to keep it simple but pop-up menus and active buttons are assignment requirements, but we didnt get too far into all that before the Easter holidays, all worked well in school but now nothing but problems. Thanks again for help, much appreciated

I'm sorry I wasn't able to give you the answer you needed, though.

EDIT: Well, finally got things to work. Needed to pay a bit more attention to detail and spent lots more time on this than I should have, but very happy with the result. I wasnt exporting "multiple files for use without frames" but once that glitch was ironed out all is well.

Thanks for your efforts Pixlor, sometimes software sux, but when it works out we do tend to forget the frustration we suffered while getting there

Yay for working menus, but a big round, "like that's clear!!" for the detail you needed to have checked. On the plus side, you probably won't ever forget this tidbit of information!

I'm so glad it you got it worked out!

• 7. Re: Help with navigation bar please.
                      readysteady101 Level 1

Hello again Pixlor, there is another detail I omitted, trying to keep things short, but since this is a help forum, I should have mentioned one other setting, might be handy for the next "would be menu maker," I had to export all files from Fireworks as ".htm" I think (but not 100% sure) that is the only way it works, and since I was saving my pages in Dreamweaver as ".html" I had to rename them also, as the buttons were coded for htm.

Thanks again, Im fairly sure I'll be back with more troublesome questions

• 8. Re: Help with navigation bar please.
                        pixlor Level 4

Good to put the info in the thread. Google does a pretty good job of indexing them.

Come back with any questions you have! Maybe I can answer your next one!

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Help with navigation bar please.
                          readysteady101 Level 1

Thanks for the invite, you might wish you hadnt tho

All the best til next time.