4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2010 8:00 PM by kglad

Dynamically adding combobox and other controls to new empty movie clip via AS2

Denis64_Sarrazin

Hi,

I'm using Flash Pro CS4, and ActionScript 2, and I'm trying to create objects dynamically, through code, rather than through the designer in Flash. Here is a code snippet to give you an idea:

// create movie clip

converter_mc = target.createEmptyMovieClip ("converter", depth);

converter_mc._x = x;

converter_mc._y = y;

//... add various controls such as the following:

cboTest = converter_mc.createClassObject (ComboBox, "picker", converter_mc.getNextHighestDepth()); // <-- this does not work

cboTest.setSize (200, cboTest.height);

cboTest.move (cboTest.x, 10);

cboTest.dataProvider = [{label:"Select Target Currency", data:null}, {label:"Canadian to U.S. dollar", data:"US"}, {label:"Canadian to UK Pound Sterling", data:"UK"}, {label:"Canadian to Euro", data:"EU"}];

// convert_mc.addChild(cboTest); // <-- this does not work

I tried using the converter_mc.createClassObject but that seems to be something that existed in previous versions of Flash but has changed (to what, I can't figured out). I've also seen examples of the addChild but I think this might be only in AS3 and it also does not appear to work for me in AS2.

Any suggestions/thoughts on how I can add components to a new movie clip via ActionScript 2?

Thanks,

-D