5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2010 5:58 PM by Sean_Wilson

    I need help with an old director project!

    arlisch

      Hey everyone,

       

      I have an old project from back in the 1990s that I want to revitalize. I used macromedia director MX to open, run, and attempt to publish it for the web (currently the program runs as an .exe). There were a few errors, and this was one of them:

       

       

      "Internal error: Unexpected failure while compositing bitmap member 7 of PLAYER-CAST 1" was the error that came up in the browser when i tried to view what i had published. i'm 99% sure that i'm not even doing it right.

       

      Is anyone willing to help me go through the code and figure out what's wrong?

       

      Hopefully it's still possible for me to publish this for the web. I really don't need anything that complicated, I just need it to work. I can compensate anyone who's willing to help me, I know this might not be the right place to ask but I really need the assistance.

       

       

      Thanks,

       

      -A

        • 1. Re: I need help with an old director project!
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

          Do you still have the unprotected (*.dir) version of your project?

           

          FWIW: I haven't seen the error message you are getting in a long time. It used to be completely spurious and caused by an empty sound cast member in an attached castLib

          • 2. Re: I need help with an old director project!
            arlisch Level 1

            Yes, I have all of the .dir files.

             

            The "Game" has a series of .dir files which I suppose are different modules/aspects of the game. I opened one of them, attempted to publish and it didn't work out so well.

             

            The game was originally meant to be run on the desktop as an .exe

             

            but yeah, it complains about empty sound cast members and other similar errors. I feel like it's somehow not picking up the sound files it needs to run. But how do i make sure it does?

             

            Here's a screenshot of the folder I am running the module from and the browser/browser error:

            http://i40.tinypic.com/2cdd47k.png

             

            note: in director all of the buttons are clickable and the game is interactive. in the browser it is not.

            • 3. Re: I need help with an old director project!
              Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

              Any other errors before the one you posted a screen shot of?

               

              I'm happy to try and help with trying to repurpose what you have for the web (via Shockwave), it's a question of how you might get files to me.

              • 4. Re: I need help with an old director project!
                arlisch Level 1

                Hmm, errors...well, when i open the project it asks me to find the various sound files. so i go through and i find the files for it and it works fine in the preview window.

                 

                 

                I just tried publishing another module and it reports errors, but won't tell me which ones. Frustrating. I have an itchy feeling that it's a scripting/coding related issue.

                 

                If you have skype or a chat client I'd be happy to send you some modules to look at.

                 

                I have skype, aim, gtalk, etc. If I can have your email address I could reach you there...

                • 5. Re: I need help with an old director project!
                  Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

                  I suspect it's a question of creating a folder named "dswmedia" somewhere in your project's folder hierarchy so that linked assets are correctly resolved. I'll send you a private message with my email address in it.