12 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2013 10:00 PM by bad egg

Page Length Limitation

BKYCHAN

I would like to know if there is any page length limitation in a PDF page.  I was told that it is 34 inches.  Is this true?

• 1. Re: Page Length Limitation
          370H55V Level 4

Since Acrobat is a virtual printer in creating PDFs, it (to my knowledge) defaults to the standard 8.5 X 11 page size that any regular printer would in most documents. An exception to that would be a PDF created in Photoshop, but it has to be set to not split pages in order to maintain the integrity of the original. There are several size choices in the Acrobat preferences:

sizes.jpg

There is no limit to the number of pages a PDF can have, if the PDF of the MASSIVE health care overhaul bill is any indicator (2788 pages and then some).

There are other people here who will know better, but I've never seen a page length limit.

• 3. Re: Page Length Limitation
            370H55V Level 4

According to that link it's 16.6 ft x 16.6 ft. What anyone would need with a document that big is hard to fathom, but I'm sure it's been done.

I'd love to see the monitor that could display that. LOL

• 4. Re: Page Length Limitation
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The link is incorrect. I build displays much bigger than that all the time.

And to the original poster, no, it's not true. If you can build the page size, you can create a custom page size in the printer to fit it in to a PDF.

• 5. Re: Page Length Limitation
                BKYCHAN Level 1

Thanks for replying my questions.

The reason why I posted such a thread is that a scanner s/w vendor told me that if we need the image output from the scanner s/w in PDF, the legth limitation is 34 inches.  I want to know whether this limitation is due the scanner s/w or PDF itself.

It seems to me that there is no page length or size limitation in a PDF page.

• 6. Re: Page Length Limitation
                  BKYCHAN Level 1

Some update from the scanner vendor.  They said that the PDF page length limitation was due to PDF's pixel limitation.  If we lower the ppi from 300 to 100, the PDF page can be bigger and longer.

Has anyone heard about the PDF page pixel limitation?

Besides, is there way to get around the PDF viewer limitation, i.e. 200 inches X 200  inches, such as using Acrobat 9?

Many thanks for your help.

• 7. Re: Page Length Limitation

BKYCHAN wrote:

If we lower the ppi from 300 to 100, the PDF page can be bigger and longer.

Has anyone heard about the PDF page pixel limitation?

Never heard of it no.

BKYCHAN wrote:

Besides, is there way to get around the PDF viewer limitation, i.e. 200 inches X 200  inches, such as using Acrobat 9?

200" is it. I'm not sure what applications can build a document bigger than that (by much).

InDesign even has a 216x216 limit (although export to PDF only allows the 200x200 size max).

• 8. Re: Page Length Limitation
                      BKYCHAN Level 1

~graffiti,

Is there any PDF viewer that can get around the 200-inches PDF page length limitation?

• 9. Re: Page Length Limitation

I haven't used any other PDF viewers. I hardly use Reader as it is (I mostly use Acrobat).

You may look in to Foxit. That seems to be the one most people recommend around here.

• 10. Re: Page Length Limitation
                          BKYCHAN Level 1

We have tried Foxit.  It can display a PDF page of length equal to 700-inch (around 17-meter).  It is good enough for our application.  However, it seems to me that there are no API on zoom in/out, rotate and print.  Is my understanding correct?

My colleague found another software called Brava Reader (http://www.bravaviewer.com/reader.htm).  It can display a PDF page up to 24-meter long and can provide API on zoom in/out, rotate and print.  Have you ever heard of Brava Reader ?

• 11. Re: Page Length Limitation
                            David L Milisock

CorelDRAW can create a page 150' x 150'

• 12. Re: Page Length Limitation
                              bad egg Level 1

Hi guys, I have a very similar problem and was wondering if you could help me out. It's for my graduation project. Pretty imporatant:

I'm making this PDF which is screen width but super long.
                              I need the page to be longer than the limits.

Any chance I can overcome these limits while making the PDF in InDesign?

The file would be viewed on the examiners computer, so I can't really play around with his/her Adobe Reader. Unless there is a simple solution I could write a manual for?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!