36 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2010 8:20 AM by Chuck A. McIntyre

reminder: Adobe wish list

dradeke Adobe Employee

While we've announced that CS5 will become official in the near future, I'm sure that the list of things people would like to see will still be numerous and never ending!

If you have things you would like to see in the future, you should fill out this form and be as articulate as possible.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

We actually look at this list pretty frequently and tally the results.  If enough people are submitting the same feature, you see it get done (hopefully).

Dennis

• 1. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list
          Harm Millaard Level 7

There are a number of things I would like added, but my favorite ones are:

1. Apply a template to existing titles

Say you have a time-line with 300 (sub)titles.

You decide to change your font from regular to condensed and change the  aspect from 100% to 110%. If you have saved that specific format as a  template, it would be great if you could select all 300 titles and  select the template to be applied to all 300 in one go. Consistency over  the complete time-line, easy to check what format looks best.

2. Export a subtitle track to Encore separately

Would it not be nice to be able to select all subtitles in the timeline  and to export these to Encore as a separate file instead of burning them  in on the final movie? That way you can easily turn the subtitles on or  off without them being a permanent part of the video.

If you agree with these suggestions, please fill out a FR (feature request) as Dennis asked you to.

These FR's were already submitted by me, but got 'deferred' to some time in the future, so the more requests are made, the earlier it may get incorporated.

• 2. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list
            eyal saban

it will be nice to have option to

*Expand and collapse video audio  effects/Preset in the Effects menus(including shortcut) 

*revere speed using the "-"+ xx% (example -50%)

*Add to project when finshed (exported file)

*more disslove (like burn,glow )

*stability

*fast

*Maybe time remap like in after effect

• 3. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list
              Harm Millaard Level 7

*revere speed using the "-"+ xx% (example -50%)

IMO this is not needed since you only need to type in a speed % and then click on reverse or not. No need to add complexity by adding + or -.

• 4. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list
                Mark Morreau Adobe Community Professional

A couple to share:

Here's one I submitted a very long time ago - like light years ago - and will submit again in a minute:

Option when creating a title to put it directly on the timeline.

Currently you create a title, it gets made, gets put in the project window, and then you have to put it on the timeline. I'd like a tickbox or something so that it gets put in the project window AND on the timeline. Even better would be the option for which video track to target.

A feature (about the only one) from Edius that I really like:

Using keyboard shortcuts to zoom in to specified percentage of the timeline.

In Premiere at the moment one uses the \ key to zoom out to see the whole timeline and \ again to go back to the magnification you were working at. The - and = keys zoom in and out. I would like to be able to map keyboard shortcuts - say 1 to 5 -  to zoom in to view, say, 1 frame, 10 frames, 50 frames etc. on the timeline. I press key 1 and I get one frame in view. Key 2 gives me 10 frames, etc. etc.

• 5. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list
                  Jeff Burford

Add a Frame Rate Drop Down Menu For Importing Image Sequences.

I request that a Drop Down Menu for Selecting a FPS Frame Rate be integrated into the Import Media (Image) in specific Image Sequences, such as in Final Cut Pro (researched in Internet).  As, at the moment, in Germany, when importing Image Sequences into Projects, they seem to defaul to 29.97 fps, causing lost time when importing lots of Image Sequences.

If one selects Import Image Sequence, I would expect a Drop Down Element to be in the Box to either use, or ignore.  This would allow us in Europe to use hopefully as a default when importing Assets into Projects.

Sincerely,
                  Jeffrey L. Burford

Frankfurt am Main, Germany

(Also working at Supporting Hessischer Rundfunk in the Graphics Department with Adobe Issues)

• 6. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list
                    Mark Morreau Adobe Community Professional

Jeff,

What happens if you change the preferences... (this is CS4)

Edit->preferences->media-> indeterminate media timebase -> 25fps

Does that improve things for you when importing image sequences?

Cheers

Mark

• 7. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list
                      roaming video

One huge improvement for me would be not to have to go through the "Audio Conforming" at start-up (the way it used to be).

I read posts affirming that it's supposed to be only a short process.  For me, every time I start Premiere it takes about 15 minutes before I can start editing (that's with a dual quad-core and 10 GB of memory). That's a big loss of time every day and it's very frustrating.

• 8. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list
                        Curt Wrigley Level 4

roaming video wrote:

One huge improvement for me would be not to have to go through the "Audio Conforming" at start-up (the way it used to be).

I read posts affirming that it's supposed to be only a short process.  For me, every time I start Premiere it takes about 15 minutes before I can start editing (that's with a dual quad-core and 10 GB of memory). That's a big loss of time every day and it's very frustrating.

You have a config problem.  Audio only comforms if it does not match a standard rate.  And if it does need to conform, it should not re-conform every time you re-launch the project.  Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying.

• 9. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list
                          roaming video Level 1

It does re-conform every time I re-launch the project.

I'm shooting Betacam SX, so the audio is 16 bit 48Kz embedded in SDI 

with uncompressed video.

I'm using the standard D1 settings.  Where could it go wrong?

• 10. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list
                            Curt Wrigley Level 4

Please start a new thread with this as the topic and we'll try to track it down with you.

• 11. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list
                              roaming video Level 1

I'll do that!  (tomorrow, because I'm on the East Coast)

Thanks!

• 12. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list
                                Jeff Burford Level 1

Hi Mark,

Thx for the reply.  No, that is properly set and does not seem influence that at all.  I have noticed that when I select the same Image(s) and Inport a Single Frame, that it sets the Frame Rate to 25.0 FPS, but as a Sequence of Images including the same Frame(s) it bumps to 29.97 FPS.  This however does not hold true for all imports.  Oddly it seems that if the Frame Size is not PAL, that Premiere (PAL Land) seems to try to intrepret it defaulting at American Frame Rates.  And, not all Image Formats are created Equal.  If I use AJAs Machina and Capture a PAL Sequence in various Formats, ie. Tif, TGA, CIN, DPX, usw......    the various Formats are brought in (intrepreted differently) even though the they have the same Frame Size, and Aspect Ratio. The Tif, TGA came in at 29.97 FPS, while the Cin(eon) Sequences and YUV Sequences came in at 25.0 FPS.  The DPX, however comes in at 29.97 FPS!

I did some Research in the various Adobe Forums including here, and read that (as it is), At the Project Level, there is no Set Frame Size, nor Rate, as a Project can hold any number of Sequences, in any variety of Frame Sizes and Rates.  Oddly, it seems for certain Formats  that the Image Sequences come in at 25 FPS while for others they do not, making me believe that the Indeterminate Media Timebase, if it has to do with this in any way, does not fully function.

At my "Day Job", at Hessischer Rundfunk, a prior Collegue, had contacted (supposedly) Adobe, receive the Bug Number 1.9.00.000 and a reply that it is a Bug!  I have not yet verified this Exchange of Mail Traffic yet though.

Cheers, Jeff

• 13. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Dennis,

When one chooses to create a Title, Based on Existing (with the existing Title loaded into Titler), it would be great for Titler to pick up on the Existing Titles name, so that one could just increment, as is necessary. The default is Title __, where the number is auto incremented by 1 for the number of Titles in the Project.

As an example, if I have a Title "Liz's_Birthday_01," and Base on Existing, the default name in the dialog box will be "Title ___," incremented on the number of Titles created so far. I would like to see that dialog box populated with the existing Title's name, "Liz's_Birthday_01," where I could just change the 1 to a 2, etc. As it is, I end up either doing a lot of typing, looking at the name of the Title in Titler, to fill in that dialog box, or going to Project Panel and doing a Ctrl+C for the Title's name, to do a Ctrl+V and then increment, in the Title name dialog box.

Thanks for the opportunity to comment,

Hunt

• 14. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list
                                    dradeke Adobe Employee

Thanks Hunt.

As with all things, the best idea is to submit the request and get people who believe in your idea to submit the same idea.  The tallying (totals) is the really important part.  So, submit if you believe in a given request!

Dennis

• 15. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Dennis,

I have already done that with each release, going back to PrPro 2.0's release. Guess that my idea is either at the bottom of the "stack," or maybe is more difficult to implement, than a coding dummy, like I, would imagine.

Just wanted to get it out there again...

Hunt

• 16. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list
                                        joshtownsend Level 2

I wish Premiere would become more like After Effects.

My top ones would be: photoshop style-(curves, levels, hue/sat), adjustment layers and spline based masks.

Thats all really.

• 17. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list
                                          Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

I would like to see better handling of Panasonic P2 files.  Larger Previews in Media Browser and thumbnail previews in Bridge.  The Panasonic P2 fragmented file structure is awkward to archive and search.  I would like to see in Premiere, a way to do a Final Cut-like log and transfer that could combine all of the miserable P2 fragments into one solid chunk of a file that could be named like a "normal" single video file.  I hate the P2 file format.

• 18. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list
                                            dradeke Adobe Employee

A lot here, let me break it down.  Of course, please submit any and all ideas to the feature request link  at the top of this thread.  We want to listen to our customers!

Chuck A. McIntyre wrote:

I would like to see better handling of Panasonic P2 files

I think we do a pretty good job already.  What's missing besides what I've addressed below?

Larger Previews in Media Browser and thumbnail previews in Bridge.

Media Browser is the new Bridge - I don't expect any new video support in Bridge for the future.  They're too focused on design and web workflows to bother supporting the video codecs.  This is one of the main reasons why we did Media Browser.

Larger Previews would be very nice indeed.

The Panasonic P2 fragmented file structure is awkward to archive and search.

I must not be understanding what you want here.  The Media Browser removes the awkward file structure and reveals the clips themselves.  It also maps some of the camera metadata directly into XMP.  Every file based structure is by design and I have to say that Panasonic did a pretty good job overall.  You may not like it much, but it is very functional overall.

I would like to see in Premiere, a way to do a Final Cut-like log and transfer that could combine all of the miserable P2 fragments into one solid chunk of a file that could be named like a "normal" single video file.  I hate the P2 file format.

Ugh. Log and Transfer is like a dirty four letter word.  You lose time and potentially quality by rewrapping to ProRes (if you go that way).  The idea of taking all of your clips and making a single clip is a use case we've heard before and are looking at it for the future.  It sounds like what you're looking for is a logger like application.  You might find something closer to this idea in OnLocation CS5.

Dennis

• 19. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list

A lot here, let me break it down.  Of course, please submit any and all ideas to the feature request link  at the top of this thread.  We want to listen to our customers!

Chuck A. McIntyre wrote:

I would like to see better handling of Panasonic P2 files

I think we do a pretty good job already.  What's missing besides what I've addressed below?

Premiere edits the P2 file format beautifully.  No issue there.

Larger Previews in Media Browser and thumbnail previews in Bridge.

Media Browser is the new Bridge - I don't expect any new video support in Bridge for the future.  They're too focused on design and web workflows to bother supporting the video codecs.  This is one of the main reasons why we did Media Browser.

Larger Previews would be very nice indeed.

Agree

The Panasonic P2 fragmented file structure is awkward to archive and search.

I must not be understanding what you want here.  The Media Browser removes the awkward file structure and reveals the clips themselves.  It also maps some of the camera metadata directly into XMP.  Every file based structure is by design and I have to say that Panasonic did a pretty good job overall.  You may not like it much, but it is very functional overall.

The P2 multiple file format is much more difficult to archive and search.  For instance, if someone asks for a clip of that guy we shot last year in 1080i walking into the shop and handing the manager an invoice, I may know what shot is being referring to, but finding it would be much more labor intensive than searching for a single standard def *.avi file.

I would like to see in Premiere, a way to do a Final Cut-like log and transfer that could combine all of the miserable P2 fragments into one solid chunk of a file that could be named like a "normal" single video file.  I hate the P2 file format.

Ugh. Log and Transfer is like a dirty four letter word.  You lose time and potentially quality by rewrapping to ProRes (if you go that way).  The idea of taking all of your clips and making a single clip is a use case we've heard before and are looking at it for the future.  It sounds like what you're looking for is a logger like application.  You might find something closer to this idea in OnLocation CS5.

To clarify, I think an optional log and transfer-like feature would be ideal in the case of the P2 format.  All I'm looking for is a way to take all of the individual. scattered P2 file "parts" and combine them into one single file, like most other video file formats. Focus enhancements makes a converter for sale at a cost of over $200 that converts the P2 multi-file format into a single nameable/searchable QuickTime file.

I will post a graphic to better illustrate what I'm talking about.

• 21. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list

Dennis wrote:

"Media Browser is the new Bridge - I don't expect any new video support in Bridge for the future.  They're too focused on design and web workflows to bother supporting the video codecs.  This is one of the main reasons why we did Media Browser."

With this in mind, how about building upon Media Browser to make it the video editor's version of Bridge. Include assorted thumbnail views (sizes).  Window's Explorer isn't much help in searching P2 MXF files because it only provides a generic thumbnail once you dig through the irritating P2 folder structure.  It appears that you can't write metadata directly to the P2 files.  Also one can't change the name of the video *.MXF file without breaking the link to the audio and other files in the P2 folder structure.

The Mac guys at work seem proud of Final Cut's log and transfer.  They see one solid *.mov file (converted from P2) that they can name anything they like and even see a thumbnail, as superior to what we deal with on the PC related to the Panasonic P2 format.

Perhaps Adobe could further develop Media Browser to address some of the shortcomings of the Panasonic P2 video file format.

• 22. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list
                                                  joshtownsend Level 2

I've had an Hvx200 since it came out and other than expanding my collection of harddrives P2 it works just fine....especially with CS4 Media Browser (best Adobe idea this decade). You can rename the clips once they are in Premiere.

Have you tried Panasonic's free utilities Panasonic P2 Viewer and P2 Content Management System?  Maybe they'll get you where you want.

I don't see Adobe doing anything to re-wrap any codec that kind of against there 'native' motto. Heck I started using P2 with Final Cut but the log and transfer was a waste of time (they finally made it so you can drag and drop). Then after that I used Cineform to make .avi files from p2. Since CS3 came out with the MXF native update I haven't looked back.

Media Browser sped up my workflow sooo much.

Did you know that if don't need audio, you can pull the MXF files out there container and name them whatever you want.

• 23. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list

We prefer NOT to have to open Premiere (Media Browser) in order to locate and get a decent view of Panasonic P2 video files.  We're on Windows 7 64, and Windows Explorer IS the fastest method for locating media... with a few exceptions like P2 media, which doesn't provide a unique thumbnail view of the *.MXF files once you dig down.  I'm suprised no one else finds this to be a pain.

I have tried all of the other things you mentioned with the exception of Cineform.  I went to their website and the "Cineform" product descriptions on their site certainly aren't helping them sell any of their products.  Could you indicate which Cineform software you use to convert the Panasonic P2 format to the *.AVI wrapper... All-in-one video files are a beautiful thing. Does it batch convert?  Is there quality degradaton?

Thanks

• 24. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list
                                                      joshtownsend Level 2

http://www.cineform.com/neohd/index.php

It does everything you want it to, thus the price $500. But you get what you pay for (metadata color correction is awesome). If moneys no object try the ProspectHD. http://www.cineform.com/prospecthd/ It even optimizes the Premiere playback engine for realtime stuff. It's a fast codec. Not sure it's as fast DVCPRO HD (the fastest HD codec on the planet for playback considering a gig a minute)

Before Cs3 supported native P2. Cineform was only way to go. I stopped using it when it went Adobe went native 2 years ago, but the I bet the codec is even better. Arri uses it for there digital cameras if that tells you something.

So you tried Panasonic's free P2 viewer? Didn't like it? I wish they has P2 playback/thumbnails in Bridge but it's not gonna happen.

• 25. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list
                                                        Curt Wrigley Level 4

I 2nd what Josh said.   Using Media browser with P2 media works very well.  I dont know why you prefer to jump out to Explorer.  IMHO  Adobe's P2 model is significantly better than FCP model that isnt native and takes to time to transfer and re-wrap everything.   I work with P2 but not large projects; so perhaps that is the difference.  But I have never been bothered by the separate files. Once in Pr; that issue becomes invisible.  You can group clips however you like.   Editing P2 is my favorite HD media to edit.  It edits like butter, looks great, descent file size.

• 26. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list

At work I get this a lot:

Can you find me a P2 clip from 2008?  It's an overhead shot of the ponytail girl helping the customer and returning to the counter.

With a standard def *.avi file I would first have given the file a descriptive name back in 2008, like: "overhead shot ponytail girl helping customer-returning to the counter".  With P2 files, you can't do that.  You can't rename the *.mxf files, unless you don't need the audio.

Here's my workflow for a standard def file, in the case stated above.  I hit the Windows key+F and type in ponytail girl, and within seconds, there's the file I need.

If you have thousands of P2 files, how can you locate a P2 file that quickly?

• 27. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list
                                                            Curt Wrigley Level 4

Chuck A. McIntyre wrote:

At work I get this a lot:

Can you find me a P2 clip from 2008?  It's an overhead shot of the ponytail girl helping the customer and returning to the counter.

With a standard def *.avi file I would first have given the file a descriptive name back in 2008, like: "overhead shot ponytail girl helping customer-returning to the counter".  With P2 files, you can't do that.  You can't rename the *.mxf files, unless you don't need the audio.

Here's my workflow for a standard def file, in the case stated above.  I hit the Windows key+F and type in ponytail girl, and within seconds, there's the file I need.

If you have thousands of P2 files, how can you locate a P2 file that quickly?

So my question would be on your scenario:  If (as in fcp land) you have one hour long file, are you putting a paragraph of keywords in the file description?  Because certainly that hour long file would require hundreds if not thousands of keywords if it is being used as you describe.   In Pr; its quite easy to add metadata to any of the files; in fact I would thimk it would make it much easier to do what you want.   What if the "girl in ponytails" appears 10 times?  Do you scrub through the hour long clip truing to find it?  The single descriptor in one giant file becomes less than useful; does it not?  Where if she is named in several clips; the search I would think would be much more useful.

• 28. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list

At work, we use PC's for our corporate video production and Final Cut on Mac's for our TV production work.  On the corporate video side, the only files I am asked to relocate fall into the B-Roll category.  These commonly get recycled into new projects.  The majority of the corporate videos we produce are under 4 minutes in length, although we have done quite a few training videos over an hour long. The actual B-Roll I'm asked to locate or revisit is typically no longer than 1 minute in length and usually about 30 seconds long.  Occasionally I'm asked to find a B-Roll clip that is 3 min., but that is only about 5% of the time.

I don't believe metadata can be written directly to a P2 file.  In Premiere CS4, you can associate metadata with a P2 file that helps locate a file using Media Browser.  This solution is more cumbersome in our particular workflow.

• 29. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list
                                                                Curt Wrigley Level 4

There are certain metadata fields associated with the P2 spec.  Any data in these fields (added to the cam during production) appear automatically as metadata in Pr for the file.  So; if they are searching a field that came with the file; you can search the same field in Pr.

• 30. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list
                                                                  joshtownsend Level 2

The panasonic P2 free programs let you change the P2's meta data and search it. Heck then you can you explorer to search the xml data if your intent on using explorer.

I did a quick google search and found a couple of programs that let you rename MXF p2 files. Most of the 3rd party stuff is Mac only but you said you have that. http://www.imagineproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=3 this seems to do exactly what you want.

• 31. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list

I was hoping, I was missing an existing solution already built into Premiere CS4, so we could avoid buying additional software.  Focus enhancements, the makers of the "Firestore" has a P2 converter:

http://www.focusinfo.com/solutions/catalog.asp?id=213

I tested it several months ago and it does batch converts and works great.  Just a bit pricey and an extra step I would prefer to avoid.

Perhaps Adobe could continue to add features to Media Browser that will make it easier for us to keep track of and locate P2 files.  That would beat converting everything.

• 32. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list

When the time came to purchase hardware and software for our TV related projects, our Mac guys said to the owner of our company:

"everyone uses Macs with Final Cut for TV production. There must be a reason."  The main issue they cited, is the one I described here. The owner agreed that P2 files on a PC impose a kludgy workflow that would slow us down in a crunch... so, the Mac guys convinced the owner to go with Macs and Final Cut for our TV related work.  Right or wrong, the person with a great deal of television production experience in our office uses a Mac with Final Cut.  Trivialize the P2 issue if you like, but the reality is, Adobe has its work cut out, bringing the FCP crowd over to their side.

• 33. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list
                                                                        Curt Wrigley Level 4

Sounds like you have a boss who is a FCP guy.  Thats OK.

But I think just as many people would argue that the Adobe's P2 workflow is superior to FCP's.  That doesnt mean it cant be improved.  But the Log and Transfer mess is something Im glad we dont have to go through.

• 34. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list

Actually, the owner is the Anti-Mac.  He literally hates Macs.  His decision to use them for the TV work was only what he considered to be a good business decision.  I.M.H.O, I think the TV Mac stronghold is 80-90% crowd mentality.  Kind of like Tiger Woods using the Nike One Platinum golf ball.  Everyone wants to play like Tiger (well, perhaps not in every sense), so better buy the Nike balls.

• 35. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list
                                                                            Curt Wrigley Level 4

Chuck A. McIntyre wrote:

Everyone wants to play like Tiger (well, perhaps not in every sense), so better buy the Nike balls.

I see what you did there

• 36. Re: reminder: Adobe wish list

Here's a partial solution to the organization of P2 media sitting right in front of my face.  It doesn't involve buying additional software or converting anything.  Shoot your video then copy the P2 files to your hard drive and start a new Premiere project.  Using Media Browser, bring all of your P2 files into the Bin. Play each file and give them appropriate descriptive names.  In Premiere's Project Manager select "Collect Files and Copy to a New Location".  Be sure to check the box for "Rename Media Files to Match Clip Names."

Now you have two copies of everything, but you can delete the cryptically named originals. You still can't see video preview thumbnails in Windows Explorer, but this method does solve the problem of using Window's 7 search to locate clips according to their name.