4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2010 9:40 PM by martcol

Common banner/nav bar on every page

PaulKraemer1 Level 1

Hi,

I am using Dreamweaver CS4.  I am relatively new to web site design and I have been reading several DreamWeaver books trying to get up to speed.

I want to create a banner image with a navigation bar that I want to be displayed at the top every page in my site.  I want to do this in the easiest / most currently accepted / recommended way.  From what I have read so far, it seems that one way of doing this is to create a Dreamweaver template that includes the banner and navigation bar, and to base all of my pages on this template.

Before I give this a try, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a better way of doing this sort of thing.

Thanks in advance,
      Paul

• 1. Re: Common banner/nav bar on every page
          martcol Level 4

I think that using a Server Side Include is easier (SSI).

I do it with PHP.

You need to look into how to do it but it's not hard.

In fact, I love doing it.  It sounds completely web-geeky and makes me feel like I know what I'm doing!

Martin

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Common banner/nav bar on every page
            osgood_ Level 8

Depends what youre doing really. If its a small number of pages then a Dreamweaver template can be ok although I've found that for what ever reason some of the pages don't update from time to time. They are a bit of a pain.

If its a small site you can generally overcome this by changing the links that don't update by hand.

By far the best way is as Martcol has suggested using server side includes.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Common banner/nav bar on every page
              PaulKraemer1 Level 1

Hi MartCol and Osgood,

Thanks for the advice.  Now that you mention SSI, it reminded me that at least five years ago I did this using FrontPage.  I just looked at my html from back then and it looks like this:

<!--webbot bot="Include" U-Include="top.htm" TAG="BODY" startspan -->

Forgive my ignorance, but is this a server side include?  I remember it being pretty easy to do - I just put my header info in a separate file and did *something* to include it.  I can't remember exactly how I did it though, and I know longer have FrontPage on my PC.  I am not sure if I used a FrontPage extension that may be outdated.

Thanks again,
              Paul

• 4. Re: Common banner/nav bar on every page
                martcol Level 4

PaulKraemer1 wrote:

...I just put my header info in a separate file and did *something* to include it.

That sounds like more-or-less it.

I have never used FrontPage so don't have a clue on that one.  I'm not sure whether that's an SSI or not.

Here are a couple of tutorial pages on using includes that explain how to do it with PHP but that's not the only way.

http://www.tizag.com/phpT/include.php

http://www.stevedawson.com/article0012.php

Martin