2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2010 1:13 PM by sebrame

Better to load videos with AS or place videos on frames?

sebrame Level 3

I don't have the AS3 knowledge required to quickly create a custom menu  system to play several videos in an FLVPlayback component or a Netstream  object, so I'm relegated to using some of the canned ones, or a 'menu  maker'. Trouble is, most,or all of these are set up to use an XML file  to set the actions for each menu item, and they are usually limited to  gotoandStop, or gotoandPlay. So, I'm looking at using these menus, and  simply having an instance of my video player at different frames, each  loaded with it's own video, and using the menu to jump to each frame.

What I'm wondering is, what are the ramifications of doing it this  way, rather than having one player, and using the menu buttons to  dynamically load the FLV's OR MP4's? I've worked hard to try to be able  to limit my movies to a single frame and use AS to run everything. This  seems like a giant step backward.

Steve Brame
      creative illusions Productions
      VODSouth

• 1. Re: Better to load videos with AS or place videos on frames?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It would be wasteful to place video players in every frame for different videos.  You make it sound like creating a menu (buttons?) is your problem, so all you really need to know is how to have a button tell an FLVPlayer component to change its source and play a new video instead of using gotoAndPlay/Stop commands.  If you look up the FLVPlayback component in the AS3 help documentation, all of its properties, methods, and events are listed and explained, and there are likely examples of how to use the code.

• 2. Re: Better to load videos with AS or place videos on frames?
            sebrame Level 3

My problem isn't loading a video into a player with a simple button, I am quite familiar with that process. It's the building of a drop down menu for every project that I do, each with a different look and feel. That's why the canned ones are so attractive (time-wise).