6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2010 12:31 PM by Migocasas

Rendering files and hard drive space??

Migocasas

Hello,

I'm already using an external hard drive for my Premiere Pro CS4 files. But each and every time I save, render and export the project, disk space in my laptop's internal hard drive still gets full. I look at the C-drive and from about 2 gigs of free space it goes down to 500mb each time I render the files.

What part of the internal drive gets affected and why does it go full?

How can I erase these unwanted and unnecessary files so i can maintain the free space in my laptop's internal hard drive?

I tried looking for the files to delete them, but I can't find them.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Miguel

• 1. Re: Rendering files and hard drive space??
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Only two solutions:

1. Get a bigger internal disk, or

2. Clean up the disk.

Adobe needs temporary storage for all kinds of files and by default it puts that on the C drive. No way to change that unless you have multiple internal drives.

• 2. Re: Rendering files and hard drive space??
            Migocasas Level 1

Hello Harm,

Thanks for the quick response.

I did clean up the disk. But let's say I'm done with rendering and exporting, and the project is done. How do I clean up the temporary CS4 files, which you refer to when its temporary file folder cannot be found in the internal hard drive?

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Rendering files and hard drive space??
              Harm Millaard Level 7

In theory you do not need to do that, but you can always manually clean out all the files in the directory that your Windows environment variables point you to, Usually this is C:\Temp and possibly C:\TMP. You can check that in Device Manager\ Advanced System Settings and then in the Advanced tab look at Environment Variables.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Rendering files and hard drive space??
                SaniHands Level 1

that still sounds kind of odd that it has to use a gig and a half of temp for a render.

that's a lot. not unheard of but still...

another thing is... I'm surprized your computer is running normal just with 2 gigs available!

I would feel some type of way if my internal was down to 15 gigs!

Once I reach the area of about 40 gigs in my internal I start paying close attention and cleaning up

and my laptop came with a 320.

I know where that temp folder is, I monitor it on my system but I won't be home for another 3 hours to give you a specific location.

what are you running pc and os wise?

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Rendering files and hard drive space??
                  Migocasas Level 1

I did what you mentioned. CS4 files still loaded up in a folder, which I cannot find.

In other words, CS4 is putting files into my hard drive and I can't delete them.

It was so messed up I had to do PC Restore.

No worries, but I appreciate all the help.

Thanks so much.

• 6. Re: Rendering files and hard drive space??
                    Migocasas Level 1

Actually, it was up to 40 gigs and slowly went down as I rendered and exported CS4 files.

I still could not trace why all that space was disappearing.

Anyways, I just did a long delayed PC restore to get rid of CS4.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I honestly appreciate it.

Have a good one.