5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2010 12:38 PM by the_wine_snob

All of a sudden - no AVCHD support

topo.webmaster Level 1

Been using Premire Pro CS4 for months with the AVCHD files from my JVC video cameras (extension is .mts). Now, today, suddenly it doesn't recognize the .mts file format. None of the files I have worked on successfully in the past will load properly.

To my knowledge, nothing has changed since the last time I used it, last week. Am running Win7 Professional 64-bit on Dell T-3400 with E8500 3.16 gHz processor, 8 gb mem.  Also using a Wacom Intuous 4 pen tablet, which has been working fine for weeks.

It's Monday. Does that have anything to do with it?

• 1. Re: All of a sudden - no AVCHD support
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          It's Monday. Does that have anything to do with it?

Absolutely.

Fridays are much better for these issues, because then you know for sure you have the weekend off.

Something must have changed. If it worked previously and does not any longer, something has changed. PR has never shown any signs of artificial intelligence to change its behaviour. Thus it is something you did or allowed the system to do, like automatic updates. QED.

• 2. Re: All of a sudden - no AVCHD support
            topo.webmaster Level 1

Something did change, or may have, now that I think of it. Last week out of the blue my Photoshop started doing something crazy, so I re-installed it. I only re-installed Photoshop (or at least that was what I told the install program to do), and that fixed the problem with that. I guess I will have to try to reinstall Premiere now. Heck, I guess I'll just re-install the whole darn suite.

• 3. Re: All of a sudden - no AVCHD support
              the_wine_snob Level 9

It is possible that you have encountered the magic, reverting to "trial." This has happened to too many CS4 users. As the trial does not support anything MPEG, that is often the tip off.

This seems to happen somethings after an update. Why? We do not know.

The solution seems to be to do the following:

1.) Deactivate (probably grayed out now)

2.) Unistall PrPro

3.) Run Adobe Clean Script CS4 several times, rebooting in between each run

4.) Install CS4

5.) Update to the very latest, before doing anything

6.) Burn some inscense

Let's hope that this is what you are dealing with. Otherwise, maybe look into a System Restore.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: All of a sudden - no AVCHD support
                topo.webmaster Level 1

Except for forgetting to run the Clean Script utility, I did everything on your list (took HOURS) and now it's working again. I had to go online for technical support to get permission for reactivation ("Anoop" was very helpful). But I don't understand why the option to deactivate was not available.

Do I risk anything for overlooking the step with Clean Script? I got in such a hurry that I just slap forgot to do it.

I also admit that I didn't burn incense. It has been over 30 years since I was able to cross my legs.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

• 5. Re: All of a sudden - no AVCHD support
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  I don't understand why the option to deactivate was not available.

There is no Activation in the trial version. If your copy reverted, there would be no Deactivate, and it would not know that, when it was the full-paid version, it had ever been Activated to begin with.

Glad that Adobe C/S was able to help you there. I would guess that they are getting good at dealing with this issue, at least judging from the number of cases of trial reversion we have seen in CS4.

Do I risk anything for overlooking the step with Clean Script? I got in such a hurry that I just slap forgot to do it.

The purpose of the Adobe Clean Script is to remove some vestiges of the trial version, that CAN mess up the full-paid version's installation. Through no fault of your own, you ended up having the trial version. Just installing CS4, with but a simple removal of the trial, has led to issues. Now, your case, and that of too many lately, is that you did not install the trial, but that your full-paid version reverted. Not sure how that differs from having installed the trial. Hope that there are big differences and that you'll be fine, given the exact circumstances. We recommend the Adobe Clean Script CS4, because with the installation of the trial, it is very necessary.

Good luck, and please report how it goes,

Hunt