6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2010 6:00 PM by the_wine_snob

Save to File? Play Movie from Hard Drive with Menu?

RFMclaughlin3 Level 1

Is there a way to save a movie creation to my hard drive and play movie as created with all the menus.  If I save file as an .ISO file, the menus dont work.  Essentially I would like to back up all my previously created family DVDs to a large hard drive, but in so doing I cannot find a way to have an image of the movie an play it from my PC, without actually loading the DVD.  Thanks

• 1. Re: Save to File? Play Movie from Hard Drive with Menu?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What you want is Burn to Folder. This will result in a VIDEO_TS folder with the proper files inside. All you need to do is launch the IFO (or the first VOB, but without the Menus) in a DVD software player, like CyberLink PowerDVD, or the free MediaPlayer Classic HC.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - welcome to the forum

• 2. Re: Save to File? Play Movie from Hard Drive with Menu?
            RFMclaughlin3 Level 1

Wow.  Thanks Bill for the quick reply and the welcome.  That sounds pretty easy.  I'll give it a try.  I wonder....just bought a new Plasma that is networked with my pc - do you think that I will be able to access what will now be my family movie server to watch these movies?  Thanks for your help.  Much appreciated...Richard

• 3. Re: Save to File? Play Movie from Hard Drive with Menu?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Richard,

I cannot answer your question, as I do not have a media server myself. However, I can hook my laptop to my 46" LCD on the patio, and play my DVD's from the HDD (or from the multi-drive). One thing to remember: an HD TV will show up the differences with SD material, DVD-Videos. What makes things better, if one is playing that same SD DVD-Video disc through an up-rezzing player, the circuits in the player WILL improve the image. You (and I) will not have such good fortune when playing from the computer. That is all done with chips in the player, and with many, the results are astounding!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Save to File? Play Movie from Hard Drive with Menu?
                RFMclaughlin3 Level 1

Hunt,

Interesting.  I have not played one of my family DVDs yet on the new Plasma - I hope you are not saying that the quality will look like a non-HD TV transmission.  That would be horrible.

Thanks for your help.

Richard

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 18:36:19 -0600

To: rfm3@hotmail.com

Subject: Save to File? Play Movie from Hard Drive with Menu?

Richard,

I cannot answer your question, as I do not have a media server myself. However, I can hook my laptop to my 46" LCD on the patio, and play my DVD's from the HDD (or from the multi-drive). One thing to remember: an HD TV will show up the differences with SD material, DVD-Videos. What makes things better, if one is playing that same SD DVD-Video disc through an up-rezzing player, the circuits in the player WILL improve the image. You (and I) will not have such good fortune when playing from the computer. That is all done with chips in the player, and with many, the results are astounding!

Good luck,

Hunt

>

• 5. Re: Save to File? Play Movie from Hard Drive with Menu?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Richard,

That is exactly what I am saying. Remember, DVD-Video is 720 x 480, SD, and not HD. To get HD, you must do BD from HD source material. Now, a high-end, up-rezzing player can improve the SD material, though the use of circuit chips to do the up-rezzing. Played from the computer, you will have no better than an SD TV feed. That is the nature of the beast.

One thing to consider, too, is that if you start with HD material, edit it in an HD Project Preset, you cannot Burn to Folder a BD Project, directly from PrE, but can only burn a BD (Blu-ray Disc). Now, some have reported good results with programs, like Phantom Drive, which will "trick" PrE into thinking that it IS burning to a BD, when, in fact, it is burning to a folder. Just something to think about.

Unless your media server has processing circuitry to up-rez, you will see an SD signal from your DVD-Video.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Save to File? Play Movie from Hard Drive with Menu?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Something else to consider would be up-rezzing your SD material with a plug-in, like Red Giant's Magic Bullet InstandHD. One big issue could well be whether it works with PrE. It works with PrPro, and does a good job. I've seen the results, when one has some HD material, but must use some SD material in the BD Project. It is not cheap, takes time to process, and might not work in PrE, even version 8. Still, that might be worth looking into.

Good luck,

Hunt