5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2010 8:36 PM by the_wine_snob

Setting up Laptop with HDDs

csgaraglino Level 1

So I have read quite a few threads on Hard Drives and they seem to be the biggest bottleneck with PRE8.

I have a server with 2ghz CPU with 4GB Ram, nVidia GT250 (1gb) lots of drives and running Server 2003 just sitting around serving files.

So I think I will use this to do my initial import from the miniDV in HD, while I am doing other work.

I wonder if I can do the iniotial rendering here is well?

Then more the project to my laptop for general editing.

My laptop has two physical 7200 drives. A 360mb and a 500mb. I also have a 500mb eSATA 7200 external drive.

So what would be the best configuration for what I already have? Obviously the OS is going to reside on the C-Drive... But what about the rest?

• 1. Re: Setting up Laptop with HDDs
          the_wine_snob Level 9

That is going to be an involved workflow. You will be moving large files and lots of folders, and will need to make sure that your drive letters match on your two computers.

I would strongly recommend that you think about using external HDD's, with either a FW-800, or eSATA connection. You would need to add such a card to your server, but that should not be difficult. Then, make sure to assign the same drive letter to each external in the OS of your two computers.

I do this all of the time, between my laptop and my workstation. I use FW-800's, as the eSATA's were not out when I adopted this workflow. Today, I would go the eSATA route, but am heavily invested in the FW-800's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Setting up Laptop with HDDs
            csgaraglino Level 1

Ok, so I have the one eSata drive that I can move between the two machines for now. What would that workflow look like?

• 3. Re: Setting up Laptop with HDDs
              the_wine_snob Level 9

That should be fine. Matter of fact, you should have greater performance, than I do, with my FW-800's.

In my case, I set up my Projects as root folders, with my media, stills, music, etc. below that Project folder. For media, and many other Assets, I Copy my Assets from my NAS, so that I am not working with originals. I also keep my Scratch Disks located with my Projects. That might not be the ultimate for pure performance, but really helps in these cases, and with housekeeping, when I am done.

To date, I have had no issues. Just make sure to set the drive letters in the OS of both machines, before you start working on your Projects. Oh, and make sure that your eSATA external is formatted NTSF and not FAT-32.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Setting up Laptop with HDDs
                csgaraglino Level 1

Thanks for the tips!

• 5. Re: Setting up Laptop with HDDs
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome. Just wanted to share some of my personal experiences and observations with editing to/from external HDD's, so that you do not make some of the common mistakes, that others have.

Good luck,

Hunt