27 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2010 8:26 AM by the_wine_snob

I hate you adobe. I hate you very much.

Tonyzzzz

Do you ever plan to impliment an update that allows Premiere Pro to play video, or are we stuck with audio and one frame every 3 seconds forever?

Did I waste my money?

Do I simply need to use freeware to claim such a feature?

Getting a bit sick of it now. On many different computers and operating systems, I have seen an Adobe video editing program play video once. That was After Effects 7, several years ago, on a then far outdated machine.

Now with a 64 bit XP, 2 gig of RAM, an Nividia 8600GT and an AMD dual core processor, your "new and improved" crap, just like everything these days, simply has functions removed and the ones left dont work.

You're marketing schemes have infested the media industry with faulty  software, and now one part of my job involves working with your pathetic  mess.

You need to start investing more into your software, break even later, produce decent software, and perhaps so many people wouldn't pirate it and actually buy it.

Why don't you start with fixing this problem? I'd say it's pretty bad when a video editor can't play video to be fair.

• 1. Re: I hate you adobe. I hate you very much.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, you do not understand that this is a user-to-user forum. Adobe has little presence here. That limited presence is because some Adobe employees, with "day jobs," choose to drop by, from time to time.

You need to make direct contact with Adobe. We cannot help you.

As you have provided zero details, no one here can even begin to help you.

If you do wish for input, please furnish details. This ARTICLE will give you some tips on what would be important. If all you wish to do is rant, and do not wish help, maybe the MOD's can move your post to the Lounge.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: I hate you adobe. I hate you very much.
            duotone12

Tonyzzz,

I feel your pain, but don't loose hope.

What are you shooting with?

What file type are you trying to edit?

I have a brand new macbookpro 3.06 GHZ - 7200 RPM HD - 8 gig ram , balh ablha blah....

I was pissed when I was having jerky playback in edit, but then I did some research only to find that I was trying to edit the wrong type of file. I was trying to edit a H.264 (.MOV) file from my canon 7D.

I will be updating to CS5 which is going to remove this issue. However, if I stayed with CS4 I would have to transcode the H.264 to something else to edit. I was real mad at first, only to find out it wasn't their fault.

Tony

• 3. Re: I hate you adobe. I hate you very much.
              shooternz Level 6

Gosh, I would really like to help you Tonyzzzz  but the first impression you have left here with your (1st post) unhinged rant leaves me very disinclined.

(I do wonder if Adobe really did make a non working version just for people like you.)

Feel the love Tonyzzzzzzzzzzzzz   (and get an early night.)

• 4. Re: I hate you adobe. I hate you very much.
                Curt Wrigley Level 4

CS4 clearly states it will not run on XP64.

• 5. Re: I hate you adobe. I hate you very much.
                  shooternz Level 6

I stand corrected.  They made an entire operating system that will not work for you.

• 6. Re: I hate you adobe. I hate you very much.
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Curt,

You make a good point. To the best of my knowledge, not one Adobe program has ever been certified for XP-64. It was a beta, and became an evolutionary dead-end. Think Australopithecus here. Just like Australopithecus, some of the DNA might have made its way into Vista-64, and some code is probably in Win7-64, but it was never officially released, nor was it ever supported by Adobe.

Hunt

• 7. Re: I hate you adobe. I hate you very much.
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig,

Good point

Hunt

• 8. Re: I hate you adobe. I hate you very much.
                        Dag Norum Level 2

Too bad you missed this conference Tonyzzzz:

video

Dag

• 9. Re: I hate you adobe. I hate you very much.
                          hewiepro

R&R (ranting and raving) comes from lack of knowledge, for the most part...or, to be more precise, the lack of aquired knowledge...for certainly the information is out there somewhere. Being a newbie, i know.

It took me 3 days just to wade thru all the adobe help site stuff to get to this forum. I think it WOULD help if a newbie

forum were started, as i saw mentioned here someplace...it would save the old pros some time and the newbies some time as well...

• 10. Re: I hate you adobe. I hate you very much.
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

There is kind of a "starting point," for one new to PrPro, or new to the CS4 version (current for a few days, at least), and it's the PrPro-Wiki. It's FAQ section covers the most frequently asked questions, and its tutorial section covers so very much. OK, it is not as interactive, as this forum, but the info is most likely there.

You are correct that discussion is ongoing, regarding a sub-forum just for new users, or users, who need a bit more hand-holding. There have been some good, opposing arguments for/against. In the end, it will be up to the MOD's, but they are listening and also participating in the discussions.

Good luck to all,

Hunt

• 11. Re: I hate you adobe. I hate you very much.
                              JaysonM-Y Level 3

Easy thar, Tonyzzzz. Regardless of the bugs, the crashes and downright silliness some of the Adobe apps have... I can't say I hate them(The Company). We have an old gateway system on which a hefty amount of work is still done. Running Windows XP pro, with it's 3ghz Pentium 4 with Hyper Threading, massive 3gigs of ram and the all powerful Ati Fire GL T2.... Premier Pro CS2 was super fast!....Trial version of CS4 proved to be too much when editing anything but dv footage, and on windows 7..... um.... even still images when rendered played back jumpy. CS3 went pretty well over all tho.

You cant expect the developers to do the full lap. You gotta meet em half way by, instead of throwing frustration into your unintended crowd, gain some knowledge as to how/what to do to get the best from the available package. It won't ever be perfect, but by george they're trying. Also, never upgrade unless necessary and always with a fresh(not repair) install of your os... and if you wanna try out the upgrades there is always the trial packages.

• 12. Re: I hate you adobe. I hate you very much.
                                Tonyzzzz Level 1

Sorry for the misunderstanding everyone, and also sorry for the ranting, I don't mean to offend anyone, I just thought Adobe staff would read my post and an angry customer would help them consider the placement of their resources in future.

Thank you for all your information, abd also judging by you're responses I hope I am correct to assume that Premiere Pro can actually play video from the timeline?

Details on my problem are as follows: Video will not playback in realtime, just audio, and one new frame will display randomly between every 1 to 10 seconds, and i seem to get increments of 5 frames spaced between 3 seconds every atleast  every 10 seconds also.

The videos I am having this issue with are MP4s, range in size from 200mb to 4gb, are recorded from a camera, and play fine in video players.

The files are being read from a SATA Drive using an IDE power cable, the operating systems and Premiere Pro are installed on seperate IDE drives.

I have tested several codec packs (one at a time), and the issue remains unresolved, have installed DivX and Quicktime also, which did not affect the problem.

I allready listed my system specifications in my initial post, but in addition, this problem persists on fresh installations of Windows XP Proffessional x64 Service Pack 3, and also on Windows XP Proffessional x32 Service Pack 2.

The last time I asked for help with this error I was advised to upgrade XP x32 to Service Pack 3, and download the latest drivers. This did not fix the problem.

I currently have the latest drivers, and see no benefit in Service Pack 3 on my 32 bit OS.

I just discovered videos play fine if I double click them so they open on the left side, but I need to know where I am on the timeline. The right box is the one having issues, and cutting and switching shots between 3 cameras hundreds of times will get tedious if I have to keep playing the video in the other box to see what im doing.

Thanks for your time,

Tony

• 13. Re: I hate you adobe. I hate you very much.
                                  Matt Petersen Level 3

Tony, there are a couple of things in your second post that stood out for me:

1) CODEC packs are bad news. steer clear. sometimes the effect a certain CODEC pack has is downright hard to get rid of

2) You mention your footage is MP4, and you also mention your larger files are several gigs. the real "question" here is what is the BITRATE of those files, and what camera do they come from

Choppy playback in the program monitor is often a symptom of a machine that just can't keep up with the bitrate of the file it's trying to squeeze. Comparing playback to a file player (like VLC et al) is tempting but doesn't really hold water: players use sneaky tricks to ensure continuous playback and a satisfied (if ignorant) user. Editing apps don't have that luxury.

Two questions: how does your machine perform with plain old DV footage, and does changing the playback quality setting (using all possibilities) have any effect?

I know it's frustrating when software doesn't do what you feel it has promised you it can. But throwing your hands up in despair isn't the solution either.

MP

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: I hate you adobe. I hate you very much.
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

MP4 is the most demanding format there is to edit. It taxes every system, but if the system is very weak in terms of processor and memory and only mediocre in disk setup, it easily brings a system to its knees. That is likely your problem. For AVCHD, which is a MP4 codec, the minimum suggested CPU is an i7-920. I would not be surprised if your system is around 15-20 times slower than the top performing systems. XP64 does not help at all, better use XP32.

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 15. Re: I hate you adobe. I hate you very much.
                                      Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Harm, does the video playing smoothly in the source window have any significance?  I don't do hd, but I seem to recall some users who do not get source monitor smooth playback.  Sequence settings in addition to computer power?

• 16. Re: I hate you adobe. I hate you very much.
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

I could have, but since all we know is that it is MP4, not the codec inside, that would be guessing.

Bill and I are currently preparing a new PPBM benchmark test for CS5 with actual footage. In the source monitor there is no problem at all, but when you have 4 tracks stacked with 3-way color correction, Gaussian blurs, motion/scale/position, opacity, all keyframed with bezier curves with some AVCHD and Canon 7D 29.97 material, HDV and XDCAM-EX 25i material and some transitions, things get demanding. Fluid playback in the program monitor at high quality settings can be too much for underpowered systems.

• 17. Re: I hate you adobe. I hate you very much.
                                          ttoonnyy38 Level 1

I'm using XP32 to be safe although there seems to be no difference between the two.

The codec is AVCHD, and i have done absolutely no editing to it, added no effects or anything.

Also turns out im kind of dumb about codecs by the way lol: It turns out AVIs are playing ok, but I don't have the 200gb of spare diskspace I need to convert all this footage to that, any other suggestions please? Idealy I would like to just use the current footage as I don't want to lose quality.

The footage is running at 29.97, square pixels, 1280x720, and the DVDs need to be PAL, so also not sure what to do about the framerate (when to switch it to PAL, in the interpet footage bit, re-encoding, re-encoded file's interpreted footage, or is there an option for this in Encore too?

Sorry about all the confusion, and thank you for your patience everyone.

Cheers,

Tony

• 18. Re: I hate you adobe. I hate you very much.
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

On exporting with AME, choose MPEG2-DVD PAL High Quality and set the bitrates and other options as you want.

You may be better off with leaving everything in NTSC, because all PAL DVD players have no trouble at all with playing back NTSC DVD's. Not the other way around however.

• 19. Re: I hate you adobe. I hate you very much.
                                              Tonyzzzz Level 1

Thank you Harm, though I do have a slight issue with that. I left my files doing this overnight, but this morning found the output resolution to be 720x576. On further inspection I can't change this. I attempted to use DVD-Blue Ray instead to preserve the resolution and quality, but it outputs several files and premiere doesn't know how to use anything but the audio when imported. M2V didn't work,.and I'm too skeptical to risk my time rendering as "m2t" whatever that is (changing the multiplexing as with Mpeg-DVD format makes it an mpg)

Is it possible to convert these files into something Premiere can play and edit without losing the resolution and keeping atleast 90% of the quality?

Cheers,

Tony

• 20. Re: I hate you adobe. I hate you very much.
                                                Curt Wrigley Level 4

You said you are making a project for SD DVD Video.  It is 720x480 (NTSC).  Making your images higher resolution will not make them come out higher than 720 x 480 for DVD.

Unless you want to hook a computer to this HDTV and play back a datafile.  Otherwise if all they have is a dvd player; your stuck with 720 x 480

• 21. Re: I hate you adobe. I hate you very much.
                                                  Tonyzzzz Level 1

Oh.. I thought dvd players could play HD..

And thats just a higher resolution right?

Sorry, I know this is just simple stuff to you guys, and I don't want to waste your time, but I don't know where else to ask.

Also those files rendered are the wrong ratio for the footage.. so i have black space at the top and bottom. Surely thats not normal for a DVD?

• 22. Re: I hate you adobe. I hate you very much.
                                                    Tonyzzzz Level 1

Now this entire topic is kind of pointless anyway because my computer suddenly decided it would start playing that original footage.. lmao.

thanks for the help though guys =)

Tony

edit: The only thing I did between it not working and it working, is abused the crap out of the proccessor with some other stuff, and installed Skype (all with premiere and the footage open).. I don't know if that info helps or not, so thought I'd put it out incase.

• 23. Re: I hate you adobe. I hate you very much.
                                                      shooternz Level 6

Now is the time to share the LOVE Tonyzzzz

Say after me... " I love you Adobe.  I love you very much"

• 24. Re: I hate you adobe. I hate you very much.
                                                        ttoonnyy38 Level 1

Meh.. I appreciate that it's working now. But still.. the idea of a program that selectively works based on no criteria scares me a lot more than one that simply has a problem that needs to be fixed, take this from someone who works primarily in Maya. If it's any consolation I hate Autodesk too. My idea of the perfect software set is Lightwave, Paintshop Pro, and god help me, Windows Movie Maker =P Unfortunatly for me, none of them are what the industry demands.

• 25. Re: I hate you adobe. I hate you very much.
                                                          shooternz Level 6
                                                          But still.. the idea of a program that selectively works based on no criteria scares me a lot more than one that simply has a problem that needs to be fixed,

Are you saying "its random" and the problems have no reason for occuring apart from selectively choosing a few chosen ones to smite with issues?

The op eventually started with a rant then chose to reveal how inexperienced he/she is in this field with this software, OS and /hardware combination ...while many of us get on with just making it work fine with only minor *******, gripes and issues.

Most issues here tend to be OE or lack of a functional working knowledge of NLE, editing, film making or post production.  This forum is largely posted to by newbies and amateurs who did not bother to read the manual or do their own homework,  (The Youtube Gang).

Check the post numbers.

• 26. Re: I hate you adobe. I hate you very much.
                                                            Tonyzzzz Level 1

There was no need for sly insults, my area of expertise in video editing is media based as opposed to the technical side of the program, as this software is more often just the thing I use for half a day at the end of a two month project.

And as for what it was in response to, nothing relative to it changed on my system since the last time I had the problem, it did not reboot, I did not continue to change any of Premiere's settings

Yes, it started working again of it's own accord, many issues with computers do this I can assure you I also have a high post count on other technical forums.

• 27. Re: I hate you adobe. I hate you very much.
                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

When PrPro ceases to work, and then begins to function later, without some intervention from the user, it is likely to be that some other program/Process has kicked in and is getting in the way of the functioning of PrPro. One such program is Windows Indexing, a little utility that is launched at boot-up by default. It snoops around the system, and attempts to gather data from all files, to speed up later Searches. With AV files, image files, and the working files used by PrPro, it cannot gather data, but that does not stop it from trying, over, and over. With these large files, that means a long time. During these repeated attempts, Windows Indexing will "lock" the file, while it struggles to find some usable data. This repeats, whenever that file is changed in any way - something that happens a lot, while editing. PrPro cannot get to necessary files, while this utility tries to do its work.

I strongly recommend that it be turned off (Properties panel for each HDD in Windows Explorer) for ALL HDD's, internal and external.

It is not the only such program. iTunes Helper will do similar, as will Nero's and Roxio's "sniffers" and "watchers." I recommend turning those OFF as well. They try to help facilitate things like burning DVD-Data and similar, but really just get in the way.

There could be many such programs, that launch at boot-up and just hang out, until a working file is written, then they spring into action, and the user has no clue, that this is taking place, unless they monitor programs/Processes using CPU cycles in Task Manager, or similar.

Just some possibilities.

Good luck,

Hunt