7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2010 10:05 PM by shooternz

What is Premiere's Preview Codec? (CS4)

Dario D. Level 1

Is there a way to convert your source video to Premiere's preview file format/s, so that it never has to be preview-rendered? (until you add effects)

Thanks.

Update: by the way, I just read an article on Ars Technica (tech website), that said this: "Now that you have captured the footage, synchronized the sound, and  logged the clips into folders, convert the project to the  post-production format. Most editing software will have a function  called migrate or convert project. You will be  prompted to select the new format, or define a custom format. Once you  start this process you'll usually have to wait a very long time,  depending on the complexity of the project and the format you've picked.  It might last a few hours or a few days"

I can't figure out if PPro CS4 actually has a feature that prepares all your footage for you... (the article wasn't being specific about which apps exactly could do that)

• 1. Re: What is Premiere's Preview Codec? (CS4)
          shooternz Level 6

It is preferable to edit natively.  ie edit what you shoot in a matching preset.

Tell us what you shoot and also tell us what you generally export to (ie for what purpose, TV, Youtube, DVD, etc...)

Someone will advise a decent workflow. (Why am I sure you are going to say AVCHD)

BTW - it is often said that SD DV was the easiest workflow for Premiere ( and that is correct).  Shoot miniDV and import it into a DV Preset.

Problem is . HD made this all a different ball game.

Converting Source material so one can edit it would be a real painful workflow  unless you really have to because of  your system and hardware limitations.

• 2. Re: What is Premiere's Preview Codec? (CS4)
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along the lines of Craig's reply, if you tell us all about what you are doing and with what you are doing that, we can likely help you much better.

This ARTICLE will give you tips on the types of info that will be very useful. Personally, I find that if one talks in concrete terms, rather than the theoretical, useful answers are more forthcoming and more useful too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: What is Premiere's Preview Codec? (CS4)
              Dario D. Level 1

I work with a TON of different formats, which is why I need to just one good codec to convert everything to. I don't export to just one format, at the moment. I usually make web video, which is most often H.264 avi's, or whatever works for downloads.

Does Premiere use different codecs for different project presets? (for preview renders, etc)

• 4. Re: What is Premiere's Preview Codec? (CS4)
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, are you starting with HD material, or SD material? The ultimate CODEC (if there is such a thing) will depend on that. Even then, one might be doing some conversions, outside of PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: What is Premiere's Preview Codec? (CS4)
                  Dario D. Level 1

Oops. HD.

So, you can't just convert to the exact format that Premiere is using for the preview files? (I can open them in media players, so surely it's a common enough codec, I would think... something that at least GOM Player understands, or that comes with a major codec pack)

• 6. Re: What is Premiere's Preview Codec? (CS4)
                    shooternz Level 6

Premiere uses a preview CODEC dependent on  the Project Preset. eg avi, dvcpro, I-frame mpeg, DV, ....

(Check them out by starting a  new Projects  and taking a look at the options)

In your case , using many HD formats in the timeline, you are stuck with rendering unless you want a massive exercise in converting every single asset and it still wont mean no rendering for playback previews.

• 7. Re: What is Premiere's Preview Codec? (CS4)
                      shooternz Level 6

"Play back" is a different kettle of fish to "editable"