6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2010 1:02 PM by dradeke

Can Ppro CS3 projects be imported by Media Encoder CS4

impactvideo

Hello:

I have Ppro CS3. I also have the Design Suite CS4.  I would like to render out Ppro CS3 sequences or projects into F4V files in Media Encoder CS4.

Does anyone know if this is possible?  When I select "add Premiere sequence" in Media Encoder CS4 and find the Ppro project in the file tree Media Encoder hangs just upon selecting the Premiere project without even attempting to add to the render queue.  I am not sure if this is because CS3 project are incompatible, or for some other reason. As mentioned, Media Encoder CS4 hands as soon as the Premiere project is clicked to selected and before "ADD" is clicked to add to the render queue.

Anyone come across this problem?  Is it fixable, or are Ppro CS3 projects just incompatible with Media Encoder CS4.

Thanks.

Jeff

• 1. Re: Can Ppro CS3 projects be imported by Media Encoder CS4
          dradeke Adobe Employee

good question - I don't know..

Worst case scenario - you could import the CS3 project into Premiere Pro CS4 and then into Adobe Media Encoder (which doesn't come by itself).  One other thing is you could download the trial (CS4) and then see if you can import it that way.

Dennis

• 2. Re: Can Ppro CS3 projects be imported by Media Encoder CS4
            impactvideo Level 1

I appreciate the reply.

However, unfortunately, I do not have Premiere Pro CS4.  This is why I am trying to export to Media Encoder CS4. I own the Design Premium CS4 suite which has Media Encoder CS4 version built in.

Media Encoder actually is a stand alone product.  When you bring the program up, It has import options for the files you wish to encode.  One of the options is to import a PPro sequence.  However, when searching the system for Sequences, I could only figure out how to get to the Pproj files. 

Documentation appears to indicate the Pproj files are compatible with Media Encoder.  However, when I droped in the Pproj file from Premiere Pro CS3, I got a message that it was not a compatible file (message text may not have been that exact statement).

This is why I was curious to see if there is a version compatibility issue, or if someone can tell me how to other render out of Premiere CS3 into the Media Encoder version that comes with CS4 suites.

Thanks.

Jeff

• 3. Re: Can Ppro CS3 projects be imported by Media Encoder CS4
              dradeke Adobe Employee

I understand that AME is a stand alone product (I work for Adobe. )

If you've tried to import the CS3 project and it doesn't work, you could try downloading the trial version of Premiere Pro CS4, and then import and save your current CS3 project.  That might give you the end goal you seek.

I hope this helps,

Dennis

• 4. Re: Can Ppro CS3 projects be imported by Media Encoder CS4
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

Another option would be to Export from PrPro CS3 to an intermediate format/CODEC, like the Lagarith Lossless CODEC, and then use AME CS4 to Import that intermediate file.

While I was aware that AME was a stand-alone product, I was unaware that it was bundled with other suites, that did not include PrPro. Learned something new this AM!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Can Ppro CS3 projects be imported by Media Encoder CS4
                  impactvideo Level 1

Hey Dennis, sorry I did not realize that you were an Adobe person. I think that Media Encoder comes with Design premium by virtue of that suite containing Flash.

I tried your suggestion about downloading the trial for PPro Cs4 and opening the CS3 file. When I did this, I got the message that Ppro was converting the earlier project to CS4.  However, something was very wrong upon opening of the project..  Most of the clips used used in the CS3 file were not imported into CS4.  The clips appeared to be in place as placeholders only. Furthermore, when I tried to import the missing files manually into the media library, I got an error message that those files were not supported by Premiere!!!  How can  this be?  They worked fine in CS3.   I believe that they are MPEG type files.

Do you know if there is an explanation or workaround for this?

Thanks again for your advice.

Jeff

• 6. Re: Can Ppro CS3 projects be imported by Media Encoder CS4
                    dradeke Adobe Employee

Chances are the problems go back to the fact that the trial does not contain many of the codecs (because we have to pay for them).  THat's my only guess.

Sorry, that didn't pan out.

Dennis