yep - hoping someone can come to our rescue here.
skinning seems to be only nice for people who like to code their design rather than designing it visually.
Is there a way to built the GUI with Flash and use that with Flex ?
How about using Flex components in Flash, lets say I ve created a custom <s:List which I like to use in Flash ?
ok, I started small and took a VScrollBar I needed to skin and did the following:
- created a new default Scroller skin class
- created a new default VScrollBar skin class and assigned it to the Scroller skin class
- created individual part skins for the VScrollBar (eg. Thumb, Track, Up/Down Btns)
- exported each individual component artwork from Illustrator as FXG
- copied the Group/Path XML from the FXG files into VScrollBar skin parts and converted the syntax (eg. <Group becomes <s:Group, etc)
- used the new state syntax to modify colours for hover, click, etc
- assigned the Scroller skin class to a Scroller component in my app
What I learnt:
- it works
- the process sucks
- I can't assign the Custom Scroller skin using CSS to apply to all Scrollers in my app (error below)
Error thrown in "SkinnableComponent.as" on line 632:
"throw(new Error(resourceManager.getString("components", "skinNotFound", [this])));"
got the css assignment working:
yesterday I exactly tried the same, but I have simply created a new Skin for each Component which I like Skin.
I applied it using the skinClass property of the components itself.
The basic design function should also be available in Flash Builder 4 like wysiwyg filters. Quite lame that you only see applied filters when running the Application. We want WYSIWYG.
The Convert Artwork to components HUD should also be available as extension for Illustrator ...
"Convert Artwork to components HUD" - are you referring to Catalyst?
The Flex 4 skinning doc (skinning_extensions_flex4.pdf) only talks about using CS to create skins for MX components - but not for Spark components.
Can anyone answer if it is possible to use Illustrator to skin Spark components? A link to a doc would be great.
>"Convert Artwork to components HUD" - are you referring to Catalyst?
>The Flex 4 skinning doc (skinning_extensions_flex4.pdf) only talks about using CS to create skins for MX components - but not for Spark components.
>Can anyone answer if it is possible to use Illustrator to skin Spark components?
Yes please anyone