12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2007 11:41 AM by L._Simon

Layers - Horizontal Scroll Bar

hforeman
      I am still using DW8 (waiting for CS3 on order). I added a layer to a tables based page and it works like a dream except that I would like to eliminate the horizontal scroll bar at the bottom without adding returns to my copy and creating lots of space between lines.

I realize this is probably an easy fix but I don't use this program very heavily and when I searched the forum there was nothing but criticism toward the poor souls who asked the question. I hope I get a better response.
        • 1. Re: Layers - Horizontal Scroll Bar
          Level 7
          How could anyone answer without seeing your page? Can you post a link?

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
          ==================

"hforeman" <heatherm@graphic-designer.com> wrote in message
          news:fc8rvg$kus$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I am still using DW8 (waiting for CS3 on order). I added a layer to a
          >tables
          > based page and it works like a dream except that I would like to eliminate
          > the
          > horizontal scroll bar at the bottom without adding returns to my copy and
          > creating lots of space between lines.
          >
          > I realize this is probably an easy fix but I don't use this program very
          > heavily and when I searched the forum there was nothing but criticism
          > toward
          > the poor souls who asked the question. I hope I get a better response.
          >
          >

• 2. Re: Layers - Horizontal Scroll Bar
            hforeman Level 1
            No, I can't upload it to the web until the design is approved.
            I thought it sounded like a simple enough question though.
            Maybe I was mistaken.
            • 3. Re: Layers - Horizontal Scroll Bar
              Level 7
              Who can know what you have done without seeing the code?

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
              ==================
              http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
              http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
              ==================

"hforeman" <heatherm@graphic-designer.com> wrote in message
              news:fc90iq$q64$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > No, I can't upload it to the web until the design is approved.
              > I thought it sounded like a simple enough question though.
              > Maybe I was mistaken.

• 4. Re: Layers - Horizontal Scroll Bar
                hforeman Level 1
                Well then, I guess since you say so then no one can help me out.
                Why every time I read a post from you to another not so knowledgeable forum user you are so rude and not helpful at all? If we had the information that you had we wouldn't be asking for help. If you can't help then why do you feel the need to respond? Nevermind, you'll probably just respond to that.
                • 5. Re: Layers - Horizontal Scroll Bar
                  L._Simon Level 1
                  Can you post me the code w/o the content? If its a div in a table, post the table tags and div tags, with <snip> where your content was?

Normally, text will wrap inside a div, unless it is explicitly not supposed to. Other type of content inside will stretch the div, and you'll end up with scrollbars if that's how your overflow is set up.

If you have a vertical scroll, but don't want a horizontal scroll, you can do that, but it will require some hacks to get around IEs quirkiness.
                  • 6. Re: Layers - Horizontal Scroll Bar
                    bregent Most Valuable Participant
                    >If you can't help then why do you feel the need to respond?

He is helping. He is telling you to post the code so we can see what you have done. Don't read any more into these messages than what is there.
                    • 7. Re: Layers - Horizontal Scroll Bar
                      L._Simon Level 1
                      quote:

Originally posted by: bregent
                      >If you can't help then why do you feel the need to respond?

He is helping. He is telling you to post the code so we can see what you have done. Don't read any more into these messages than what is there.

I have to agree. I'm posting from a Blackberry, most of the replies i've seen that people think are rude are simply short. Those of us on a PC are probably at work anyhow ;0)
                      • 8. Re: Layers - Horizontal Scroll Bar
                        hforeman Level 1
                        quote:

Originally posted by: L. Simon
                        Can you post me the code w/o the content? If its a div in a table, post the table tags and div tags, with <snip> where your content was?

Normally, text will wrap inside a div, unless it is explicitly not supposed to. Other type of content inside will stretch the div, and you'll end up with scrollbars if that's how your overflow is set up.

If you have a vertical scroll, but don't want a horizontal scroll, you can do that, but it will require some hacks to get around IEs quirkiness.

I apologize for what will seem like ignorance, I don't know much about code. I only do occassional updates to my employers site. So I really didn't understand anything you posted. Do you want the code for the whole page? If so, here it is:
                        • 9. Re: Layers - Horizontal Scroll Bar
                          L._Simon Level 1
                          First, when posting code, if you use a code window like you did, people replying from the newsgroup can't see it (that' smy understanding, at least).

Second, I see one div in there, with an id of "latestnews". I don't see any CSS applied to it at all, or any external stylesheets.

I tossed this up on my webserer, and without the images and stuff, I'm not seeing any scrollbars at all.

Try adding this somewhere between the <head> and </head> tags. I'm not 100% sure I understand the problem, but maybe this will work :)

<style type="text/css">
                          #latestnews {
                          overflow:auto;
                          overflow-x:none;}
                          </style>

Now, our more advanced readers will see that this will not validate, but I don't think you're worried about validation, are you?
                          • 10. Re: Layers - Horizontal Scroll Bar
                            Level 7
                            On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 16:29:11 +0000 (UTC), "hforeman"
                            <heatherm@graphic-designer.com> wrote:

>Well then, I guess since you say so then no one can help me out.
                            > Why every time I read a post from you to another not so knowledgeable forum
                            >user you are so rude and not helpful at all? If we had the information that you
                            >had we wouldn't be asking for help. If you can't help then why do you feel the
                            >need to respond? Nevermind, you'll probably just respond to that.

Rude? Not at all.

What you've asked is the equivalent of calling your mechanic and
                            saying "my car won't start". How can the mechanic possibly know
                            what's wrong without examining the car?

Win
                            --
                            Win Day, Wild Rose Websites
                            http://www.wildrosewebsites.com
                            winday@NOSPAMwildrosewebsites.com
                            Skype winifredday
                            • 11. Re: Layers - Horizontal Scroll Bar
                              hforeman Level 1
                              Thanks for the tip on posting code. I'll try and remember that.
                              No, I don't think we're concerned with validation.
                              Yeah, I looked at what I posted and you aren't seeing what I'm seeing at all.

I tried posting that bit of code in a few different places and it didn't seem to change anything. I'll have to jump around my CSS book (that I haven't had time to even open yet) and see if I can find something.

If anyone else comes up with any helpful info let me know. In the mean while, thank you for your help Simon.
                              • 12. Re: Layers - Horizontal Scroll Bar
                                L._Simon Level 1
                                No problem, sorry it didn't solve it for you :)

CSS will totally revolutionize the way you view web coding. I recommend you take a step back adn read that book you have. Also, a good online refernce for CSS (and other web technologies) is www.w3schools.com.