6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2010 9:29 AM by was2008

PPro CS4 with Windows 7 (64 bit) slow after upgrading to CS4.2.1

was2008

I upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit recently. Before I worked with PPro CS4 (4.2.1) in Windows XP 32 bit and performance was fine. My system is not up to date (Opteron dual core, 4GB, ATI Radeon 3870), but performance was o.k. Since Windows 7 I had problems running HD footage natively (e.g. Sony XDCAM) in the timeline (it simply stops after two three seconds). I also had problems using vob-files (which under XP was very smooth). I reinstalled and figured out, that PPro runs better without upgrading to vers. 4.2.1. So for everyone who is suffering a lack of performance after switching to Windows 7, try this, it might help a little.

• 1. Re: PPro CS4 with Windows 7 (64 bit) slow after upgrading to CS4.2.1
          Harm Millaard Level 7

That is pretty uncommon. Most have found 4.2.1 works better. There must be something else going on. Start here: Windows 7 Service Configurations by Black Viper

You did start with a complete fresh install I hope and reformatted your disk?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PPro CS4 with Windows 7 (64 bit) slow after upgrading to CS4.2.1
            JBlake_AVL

I had a somewhat similar experience with the 4.2.1 upgrade with my computer. With my Q6600 running at 3.2 GHz, Vista x64 and with PPro CS4/4.1 update, I ran the PPBM4 benchmark and scored an 83.8. I then installed Win 7 x64, clean install etc… and re-ran the PPBM4 benchmark, with the same 4.1 update and with all system configurations the same as before, my score improved to 68.8, fantastic! I was very impressed with Win 7 x64.

This was short-lived because I updated PPro from 4.1 to 4.2.1, re-ran the PPBM4 benchmark and my score fell to 83.1 seconds, not impressed with the 4.2.1 update as far as this benchmark was concerned. I replaced the Q6600 with a Q9450, also over clocked to 3.2 GHz and with Win 7 x64, ran the PPBM4 benchmark and scored a 68.1; I got back everything I had lost in system speed from the 4.2.1 update plus some.

The Q6600 does not have the SSE4 instruction set while the Q9450 does. Perhaps the 4.2.1 update benefited CPU’s with SSE4 while those CPU’s without it, took a performance hit, just a guess.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: PPro CS4 with Windows 7 (64 bit) slow after upgrading to CS4.2.1
              was2008 Level 1

Thank you for the link. I tried to turn off some of the services, but it did not increase performance. Yes, I installed the whole system meanwhile (but I used wuick format for the system disk, does it make a difference?)

• 4. Re: PPro CS4 with Windows 7 (64 bit) slow after upgrading to CS4.2.1
                was2008 Level 1

I ran PPBM4 with PPro 4.0 and 4.2.1 twice. Still wai

ting for the results. What I noticed when looking at the output-file was, that with

4.0 the avi encoding was much faster than with PPro 4.2.1 (almost the duble with 73 sec.) But the mpeg encoding woth 4.2.1 was faster than with 4.0). I will post the benchmark index as soon as I get the reply.

• 5. Re: PPro CS4 with Windows 7 (64 bit) slow after upgrading to CS4.2.1
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

73 s for AVI is disastrously slow. Even half of that, 36 s is a lousy result.

Bill is pretty busy building a new system, so I do not know when he has time to update the results. You could also post them here or send them to me by private mail.

• 6. Re: PPro CS4 with Windows 7 (64 bit) slow after upgrading to CS4.2.1
                    was2008 Level 1

I think I resolved the problem. In a German forum I found a guy who had similar problems. What he did is he installed an older driver version  for his ATI graphics card (I used the latest one: Catalyst 10.3 with an ATI Radeon 3870), now I am back to 9.8 (the one he mentioned). What happened? The preview in my timeline is almost smooth now. Then I did the benchmark test again. AVI encoding time now is 9.2 sec with PPro 4.2.1 (instead of 39 and 73 with the latest ATI driver). Mpeg is still 125 sec, but I can live with that. At least the timeline runs smoothly now and editing is possible again. Thanks to all of you.