2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2010 4:51 AM by DavidKT

Basic Include/CSS question..

DavidKT

I'm sure I'm making a basic mistake here. It's about 5 years since I did all this, back in the days of tables and ASP...

I've set up MAMP, PHP and mysql, got them working and am now creating CSS layouts in Dreamweaver.   I have an index.php  file which is little more than a basic container (4 areas on top of each other, no columns).  I've now created a header.php file to go into the top area - and this file has a header/footer, 2 column layout.   So, basically, I'm nesting CSS layouts ins CSS layouts.

The header.php file displays perfectly on its own but loses all layout once it's displayed as part of the index.php file.

Question: can one nest CSS layouts and if so, what could I be doing wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated - thanks...

• 1. Re: Basic Include/CSS question..
          osgood_ Level 8

DavidKT wrote:

I'm sure I'm making a basic mistake here. It's about 5 years since I did all this, back in the days of tables and ASP...

I've set up MAMP, PHP and mysql, got them working and am now creating CSS layouts in Dreamweaver.   I have an index.php  file which is little more than a basic container (4 areas on top of each other, no columns).  I've now created a header.php file to go into the top area - and this file has a header/footer, 2 column layout.   So, basically, I'm nesting CSS layouts ins CSS layouts.

The header.php file displays perfectly on its own but loses all layout once it's displayed as part of the index.php file.

Question: can one nest CSS layouts and if so, what could I be doing wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated - thanks...

The css itself, which styles the header.php, has to be present in the file that the header.php include is being included into. Is that what you are failing to do?

As I'm sure you know, apart from the html code, nothing else should be in the header.php, otherwise you could end up with lots of duplicated tags i.e. body, meta, doctype etc.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Basic Include/CSS question..
            DavidKT Level 1

Thanks very much osgood.

There was a body class tag in the header.php file which I've replaced with a div class tag.  All works well now.   I am empowered again - this is not necessarily good news