13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2010 12:54 AM by ivicac

Can't get Data Service Refresh to work

TheWuzziWizz Level 1

I can't seem to get the Refresh command to work on my service. This is a Remote service, which has a number of functions and data types. Whenever I make some changes on the server side, I would like to merely Refresh the client side (using the contexy menu in the Data Services panel), having it re-generate as required to match the server-side changes. However, this never seems to work.

Removing the service and then adding it from scratch again works fine, so the communication to the server seems OK. However, this is somewhat annoying since I then have to re-define all Data Management and Paging settings for the service. Is this just me, or is it a known genera problem with Flex 4?

-JM

• 1. Re: Can't get Data Service Refresh to work
          Balaji Sridhar Level 2

Hi,

Which is your back-end technology?

Also, what is the kind of change you are making to the server side code?

FYI, while refreshing the service hope you are refreshing on the service and not on the individual function.

Can you please send us the project and the server side code for us to take a look at?

Thanks,

Balaji

• 2. Re: Can't get Data Service Refresh to work
            TheWuzziWizz Level 1

Backend is BlazeDS running under Tomcat.

Also, what is the kind of change you are making to the server side code?

I typically change the value objects passed back and forth, or add/change methods on the server side.

FYI, while refreshing the service hope you are refreshing on the service and not on the individual function.

I've tried both the service as a whole, as well as individual data types and methods. Neither seems to work.

Can you please send us the project and the server side code for us to take a look at?

Not really since this is a client project. Anyway, the project is very much plain vanilla, using Blaze and some POJO VOs going back and forth. BTW, is there anything new to the server-side introspection code (RDSDispatchServlet) in relation to FB4 that could affect this? Should I try updating the flex-rds-server.jar file? What would be the best place for getting the latest version of this? Does it come with FB4, tucked away somewhere?

• 3. Re: Can't get Data Service Refresh to work
              Balaji Sridhar Level 2

Yes

The introspection is basically handled in the flex-rds-server.jar.

BTW which is the BlazeDS version you are using?

Also are you on the released version of FB?

Can you also send us the eclipse log(if any), you could them from  HELP -> Product Details -> Installation Details -> Configuration -> View Error log if you are on SA version.

Thanks,

Balaji

• 4. Re: Can't get Data Service Refresh to work
                TheWuzziWizz Level 1

> The introspection is basically handled in the flex-rds-server.jar.

Where can I find the latest version of this file, just to make sure there's nothing wrong here?

> BTW which is the BlazeDS version you are using?

blazeds-turnkey-3.2.0.3978 as far as I can tell.

> Also are you on the released version of FB?

Yes.

>Can you also send us the eclipse log(if any), you could them from  HELP -> Product Details ->

> Installation Details -> Configuration -> View Error log if you are on SA version.

Sure. Where should I send it to?

-JM

• 5. Re: Can't get Data Service Refresh to work
                  Balaji Sridhar Level 2

Hi,

The jar file will be available as part of BlazeDS build.

Please download latest BlazeDS 4 FROM http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/blazeds/downloadblazedstrunk which should work fine with FB4 release.

Please follow the following post http://sujitreddyg.wordpress.com/2009/06/01/using-flash-builder-4-for-earlier-blazeds-buil ds/ if you would not want to move to BlazeDS4.

Let us know if you still see the problem after upgrading.

Thanks,

Balaji

• 6. Re: Can't get Data Service Refresh to work
                    TheWuzziWizz Level 1

I tried upgrading to the reflection jar from BlazeDS 4 latest nightly build, but that didn't make any difference.

I changed a data field in a custom data type on the Java side from String to int, which wasn't picked up. I also added a new method to the service, and again this wasn't picked up by the Services panel's Refresh command. I had to remove the service and re-create it in order to pick up those changes., Annoying, since I then also have to manually go through and repeat all data management and paging settings one by one.

This makes me wonder whether the Refresh command works at all. It does indeed take a small amopunt of time when invoked (a progress bar appears briefly), so it seems to do something. But it doesn't make any visible changes to the service as displayed in the Service panel. Has anyone been able to get this to work with BlazeDS or LCDS, when making changes on the server side?

-JM

• 7. Re: Can't get Data Service Refresh to work
                      ivicac

I also have the problems with refresh functionality. I am using the blazeds4(nightly buikds). When I use the Refresh button I get the following message:

Description Resource Path Location Type

The destination "pmgService" used by service "PmgService" was not found in the services configuration file. Update the config file and refresh the service in the Data/Services view. module-pmg-web PmgService Auto refresh problem

I have tried with plain POJO and also with springflex integration project and in the both cases I get the mentioned message. Can somebody help?

• 8. Re: Can't get Data Service Refresh to work
                        Balaji Sridhar Level 2

Hi,

We are unable to reproduce the issue mentioned here.

Can we probably get on a connect session to uncover the problem?

Please propose an appropriate time. We work in IST hours (so anytime between 8 AM - 10 PM IST) should be fine.

Thanks,

Balaji

• 9. Re: Can't get Data Service Refresh to work
                          TheWuzziWizz Level 1

I could certianly try that. IST is at +1 from GMT, right (Ireland). I'm not famliar with Connect, but use both iChat and Skype. Presumably connect is something similar. Evenings would worb best for me. Please contact me off list to set up a time.

-JM

• 10. Re: Can't get Data Service Refresh to work
                            ivicac Level 1

I have tried testing with the latest nightly blazeds available and can confirm that when spring blazeds integration project is used Refresh button doesn't work. Pure blazeds configuration works. So obviously when doing refresh operation, RDS servlet expects definition in services-config.xml, but because of using spring there is no any definition of bean in services-config.xml file. So Refresh button shoudn't depend on definitions in the services-config file. When we can expect the solution for this problem?

• 11. Re: Can't get Data Service Refresh to work
                              Balaji Sridhar Level 2

Hi,

Thanks for the reply

We have an issue https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FB-26262 around the same.

We are looking into it. Kindly vote for the same.

Thanks,

Balaji

http://balajisridhar.wordpress.com

• 12. Re: Can't get Data Service Refresh to work
                                TheWuzziWizz Level 1

Note that I'm *not* using Spring, but plain BlazeDS under Tomcat. I get no error message or any other response when I do a Refresh - it just doesn't update functions or data types according to my changes on the server side. Deleting and re-creating the entire service fixes things, but this is getting kinda tedious.

-JM

• 13. Re: Can't get Data Service Refresh to work
                                  ivicac Level 1

As I said, the blatest blazeds build now works for me without spring, but I am using spring and spring-blazeds project and  this still doesn't work....