3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2010 5:07 PM by Joe ... Ward

Advice on flash cs4 and AIR

3dcruiser

Looking to convert slide presentations from Director MX to FLASH  CS4 and eventually create CBT interactive lessons. Not sure about development in FLASH for Adobe AIR. AIR kinda sounds like the answer, but it seems all examples are geared toward internet access. I am looking to develop for PC systems not hooked to the internet. Anyone have advice on the best steps to learn FLASH and AIR. Looking to develop standalone desktop presentations for PC. From what I've seen so far it seems that AIR is like a shell to run FLASH in. Any help appreciated.

• 1. Re: Advice on flash cs4 and AIR
          Joe ... Ward Level 4

3dcruiser wrote:

From what I've seen so far it seems that AIR is like a shell to run FLASH in.

This is generally true. However, AIR adds a significant number of features for creating independent, non-browser, cross-platform  applications. For example, in AIR you can create new windows, read and write files, access a SQL database, display HTML, and much more.

The core of your presentation/application will probably involve the same Flash features that you would use in the browser, so learning Flash would probably be the best starting point.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/ has information and tutorials for learning Flash.

Note that if you can do everything you need to in Flash, and you don't need any of the AIR-specific features, you can also create a Flash projector file. These have an advantage that they don't need to be installed, the viewer can just double-click.

• 2. Re: Advice on flash cs4 and AIR
            3dcruiser Level 1

Thanks for response. I wonder if actionscript will change in CS5?

• 3. Re: Advice on flash cs4 and AIR
              Joe ... Ward Level 4

There will be new APIs to use, but the language itself will not change.