7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2010 4:04 AM by Mylenium

Problems Exporting .mov

maggie_ae

My computer at work (along with one other computer) will no longer export an mov, because it says I'm out of memory.  I've tried cleaning my computer and clearing cache, however, nothing has seemed to work.  I've been rendering out the .mov instead.  Apparently it is making the file size huge, though, and my boss needs me to keep them the size they were if I were exporting them.  Problem 1: How do I export .mov's without it failing? (I've tried adjusting memory settings, which has only made things worse since I don't know what I'm doing)  Problem 2: Why are .mov's rendering so much larger than when I export them, when all apparent audio & video settings are the same?

• 1. Re: Problems Exporting .mov
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Turn off the Include XMP Source Data option in the output module settings. for everything else you need to be much more specific. Quicktime is just a container format with a ton of options and CoDecs and without knowing exact settings, this is going nowhere. Likewise, some computer info wouldn#t hurt....

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Problems Exporting .mov
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

My guess is that you are using the default video codec, which is Animation at 100% quality. That is a lossless video codec, so the files are huge. You can choose a different video codec by clicking the Format Options button in the Output Module Settings dialog box.

• 3. Re: Problems Exporting .mov
              maggie_ae Level 1

The quality settings I'm required to use for these specific projects are as an MPEG-4 compression, 30fps, quality is Best, but the data rate is restricted to 1500 kbits/sec.  Audio is also MPEG-4.  In the render queue, I select all of those same options (as I did for the export settings).  I have opened the Format Options for both audio & video settings and they are exactly the same.  A normal video exported is about 8,000 kb or so.  When I render them with the same settings (aside from some setting I must not be seeing), it renders about 60,000 kb.  The bit rate is restricted the same on both, so there but be some other setting that's causing it to render so large.

• 4. Re: Problems Exporting .mov
                maggie_ae Level 1

I'm using CS3, and I don't see an option for "Include XMP Source Data".  Is there somewhere else I should be looking? outputmodsettings.jpg

• 5. Re: Problems Exporting .mov

This is CS4 only, so you needn't worry about it. Was just a guess, as there is a known state where AE will flood files with excessive XMP data, preventing successful rendering of same. what do you set the audio comepression to? I believe it defaults to AAC in the Export, but is left at PCM/WAV on the normal RQ...

Mylenium

• 6. Re: Problems Exporting .mov
                    maggie_ae Level 1

The Audo compressor settings for export is MPEG-4 Audio, but that isn't an option in my drop down menu in the audio render settings, so it's set to none, with the same sample rate & size.

• 7. Re: Problems Exporting .mov

I'm still not sure if I understand you. Does it show the same behavior if you encode to "proper" Quicktime H.264 or other compressed CoDecs? Sounds realyl odd that it would not offer these settings, as QT normally allows free mix&match of different CoDecs for audio and video (except for a few specific delivery presets).

Mylenium