1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 13, 2007 7:52 AM by Applied CD

High spec PC performance issues

LeeC22
      I have been benching a movie on a couple of PC's to try and gauge whow the movie will run across a range of computers. I am actually having the biggest problems with the highest spec machine.

On a Core 2 E6400 @ 2.14Ghz, ATi X1300 Pro and 2GB ram, the movie hits around 310 frames per second
      On a Centrino 1.6Ghz laptop, Radeon 9700 and 1GB ram, the movie hits around 240 frames per second
      On a Core 2 E6600 @ 2.4 GHz, 8800GTX and 2GB ram, the movie struggles at 64 frames per second

The odd thing is that even the director environment runs slow. Resizing the stage is really slow and if I put a text object on the stage, the movie almost grinds to a halt unless I minimise the cast window whilst it is updating.

Has anyone had similar problems using a similar specced machine?
        • 1. High spec PC performance issues
          Applied CD Level 1
          Are these Vista machines? This may not be much help but I was looking for a gaming laptop about 6 months ago and I was reading a lot about how video cards with nVidia’s high end GPUs (like your 8800GTX) were performing very poorly on Vista machines because the drivers had not been properly ported to work with the new version of DirectX. From what I remember they were forced to run in some sort of emulation mode which slowed them down almost to the point of being useless for gaming purposes. At the time most hardcore gamers were recommending either staying with XP for nVidia or choosing a Radeon or other ATi video card for Vista. The XP choice was favored because the nVidia chips are good, just not with Vista. Things may have changed in the last 6 months but the biggest difference I can see between your machines is the video cards and the drivers that go with them.