3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2010 1:38 PM by Harm Millaard

newbie needs advice on camera/computer etc.

hewiepro Level 1

where is the best site(s) for reviews on camcorders, computers and software for a startup videography business...

And, more specifically, what would all the old pros out there say if they had the chance to start all over again...

And w/ a budget of $5-8K...

Also...is this post better suited for this forum?...or should it have gone onto the lounge forum??

thx to all

• 1. Re: newbie needs advice on camera/computer etc.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, one alternative location would be the Video Lounge, but the post will likely be seen by more folk out here. If the MOD's feel that it is best in the Lounge, they will move it for you.

For the computer aspect, there is also the Hardware Forum, where that might be a more logical location. Again, the MOD's might feel that splitting things a bit would be more efficient and better.

Don't be surprised if Jeff, Curt or Jerry.K do that for you.

We do not have a specific area for camera discussions, though there is some recent talk about doing that.

Personally, I'd just leave the post alone, unless the replies get really off-course - but I am not a MOD, just a lowly "user."

I'm sure that you will get some links to good review sites for the camera aspect, plus you should get some comments here. For the computer, I'd go to the Hardware Forum and read several of the great articles there by Harm Millaard. He covers most aspects of an NLE (Non Linear Editor) computer very well. Bookmark, or print out those. They will be invaluable to you, should you buy/build a workstation.

Good luck, and don't be surprised if you do end up in the Lounge. I also feel that you'll get plenty of good, useful comments, especially with the opening that you provided, "if you could start over again... "

Hunt

• 2. Re: newbie needs advice on camera/computer etc.
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>startup videography business

Your first decision is will you be doing only SD-to-DVD work, or also HD-to-BluRay work?

Your choice of camera and computer will descend from that decision... with the computer to edit HD being half-again to double the cost of SD work

If you will be doing HD work, a tape based HDV camera creates, from what I've read, the easiest to edit file... with the hard drive or memory card cameras creating files that are harder to edit due to the codecs used (compressed files take a LOT more computer to edit)

So... think about the kind of work you are going to do, and then come back and ask... after reading in the hardware forum

What I am going to build later this year for CS5 and SD editing is near the top of my notes page http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

If I was going to edit HD video, I would replace that single 1T drive with a multiple drive RAID array

• 3. Re: newbie needs advice on camera/computer etc.
              Harm Millaard Level 7

From a very pragmatical point of view:

$ 8 K total budget, to be used for camera and all the other camera related stuff, and a computer. Roughly divide that into $ 5 K for the camera and $ 3 K for the computer. That means you can look at a camera of $ 2.5 K, another $ 2.5 K for things like tripod, filters, mics, bag, batteries, charger, on-camera light, headphone, etc. and have around $ 3 K for a nice computer.

In my perspective, buying a camera for X requires double the amount to get all the periphernalia as well. Also have a look here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/598040?tstart=0