4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2010 12:32 PM by Wade_Zimmerman

Scaling AI files?

Nathan Bendell

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to pick the more knowledgable illustrator members minds here regarding upscaling Illustrator AI files in Indesign?

I currently have an AI file supplied with gaussien blurs and gradients applied to the graphic. Unfortunately this is a very small file that doesn't seem to upscale cleanly (i.e. blur effects dramatically change no matter what scale requirements are checked etc.)

So I was told to simply drop and upscale the AI file in the respective Indesign document. Currently this equates to a percentage increase of over 300-400% of the original AI file.

My question is simple - will this cause a production issue / severe quality loss? Numerous associates have said not, but I am not convinced, although would happily be proved wrong at this stage!

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

Nathan

• 1. Re: Scaling AI files?
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Nathan,

So I was told to simply drop and upscale the AI file in the respective Indesign document. Currently this equates to a percentage increase of over 300-400% of the original AI file.

My question is simple - will this cause a production issue / severe quality loss? Numerous associates have said not, but I am not convinced, although would happily be proved wrong at this stage!

This sounds like something too good to be true (an InDesign cure all magic wand). I would increase the Resolution in the Effect>Document Raster Effect Settings by a factor corrresponding to the scaling (from a value that was adequate for the purpose to start with).

• 2. Re: Scaling AI files?
            John Danek Level 4

Yes, I agree.  But, shouldn't he scale it in Illustrator and re-set the raster settings at 100% ( new size scaled 400% ) to the appropriate InDesign file?  Then, place it at 100% in InDesign and retain the original raster effects?

• 3. Re: Scaling AI files?
              Nathan Bendell Level 1

Hi John,

That is the key issue - the master artwork isn't scaling cleanly to the required size. I am not sure how the original agency has produced the files, but they alter visually from the original execution once I try to up scale them.

As a rule of thumb, I normally insist on doing everything at 100% just for 100% peace of mind. This current issue is why I am somewhat at a loss and looking for an alternate solution, as this is very much new ground for me.

Jacob's solution (thank you), would in theory help us get around the current predicament if this is guaranteed to work from a production standpoint. I am just very nervous using anything over a 100% percentage.

Thank you both for the prompt responses, greatly appreciate your feedback.

Nathan

• 4. Re: Scaling AI files?
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Can you show us a screen shot of the original size image and the enlarged version and indicate what about the enlargement is a loss of quality.

Do you know the Document Raster Effect Settings, is the gaussian effect live or has the art been rasterized. if the art is rasterized you might have to do it over or try to resample it in Photoshop. What I do i the latter case is to use the Nik software to reduce noise and then do a little sharpening also with Nik plug in.

Scaling the file up is not going to work in ID. This is definitely best done in AI or photoshop. If it will not scale in AI it my have been rasterized or the transparency flatten with a high raster to vector balance biased towards rasterization.