8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2010 7:11 PM by emil emil

Rotate Brushes

2ManyImages

I asked about this process in the Photoshop forum, but was directed to post the request here.

I have CS4 and a Wacom Tablet.

Currently, we can change the brush size and softness with keyboard shortcuts. I can also change the brush size by using the ring on my tablet.

I need to be able to rotate my custom watercolor brushes in a similar manner. I know I can change the rotation by going into the brush menu and rotate the circle with the arrow, but that is slow and clumbsy if going back and forth to dozens of brushes and needing to rotate brushes on the image.

I would like to see an option to use the adjustment ring on my tablet to rotate the brush instead of just the size.

I would like to see an option to rotate the brush in 5 degree (or any amount set up as a pref) from the current angle by clicking a keyboard character. Actually, it might take two different keyboard characters. One would rotate clockwise and the other counterclockwise by the set amount.

I know I can rotate my canvas in CS4, but anytime I do that, the brushes rotate at the same time. An option to leave the brush angle at the original orientation and rotate the canvas might work, too.

It is possible to adjust the angle or rotation of a brush by telling Photoshop to use the tilt of the stylus on the tablet, but the brush preview over the work surface does not indicate the angle the brush will be applied when clicked.This makes the feature basically worthless for my needs.

Please include any and all of these suggestions ASAP.

Thanks,

M. Jackson

• 1. Re: Rotate Brushes
          2ManyImages Level 1

Added to the feature request:

Currently, the Wacom tablet has the option to resize the brush while  spinning the ring one direction or the other. It would be a nice feature  if they could let you press the Shift button on the tablet (the top one  in the lower group) as you spin the ring to rotate the brush. Even  better if the software/hardward let me pick the default of "either" size  or rotate. If so, depending on the type of image I am working on at the  time, I might opt to have Brush Rotate set as the default mode and use  Brush Resize as the secondary option requiring the Shift button.

The  other option that makes sense to me would be to use the comma and  period keys while in the Brush tool. Clicking one would rotate the brush  5 degrees one direction and the other would rotate the brush 5 degrees  the other direction from its current angle. Holding down the Shift  button would rotate each by 25 or -25 degrees. Also, using the X and Y  commands while in the Brush tool could flip its orientation without  going to the menus.

This example isn't too pretty, but illustrates what I am needing to do. I am not clicking and dragging a brush, but using it instead like a rubber stamp. I need to be able to see where the brush stroke will be applied and also the orientation on the page before clicking.

rotatedbrush2.jpg

• 2. Re: Rotate Brushes
            emil emil Level 4

I'm voting for this request too

And I'm desperate for it. Currently holding Alt + right mouse changes interactively the size of the brush. Please make Ctrl + Alt + right clicking changes interactively the rotation of the brush too. What is worst with rotation is that we don't even have a hot key for that and have to have this huge big brushes palette open all the time when we need to change frequently the rotation.

I know that some of the latest tablets have rotation features but that's not a perfect alternative. it requires rotating the pen which will make it harder to keep the pen's buttons in place when we need them and also is a challenge to keep the same rotation all the time.

• 3. Re: Rotate Brushes
              2ManyImages Level 1

I have several simple suggestions for Adobe PS programmers that would help immediately:

1: Let us pull out the little rotation/shape adjustment feature onto a floating tab on the desktop.We could press F5 to open and close the brushes, but still have access to the rotation and shape adjustments without the brush menus. With all the rotation options, I'd love to see the wireframe representation in the middle of our open document rotate as we rotate the arrow below the circle in the adjustment icons. Currently, we have to spin the circle, then go back to the document to see if we spun it enough or in the right direction. I know we can turn off the Spacing option to view the tool at each end of the Stroke preview and the small brush rotates interactively. That's close, I guess.

2: Add that same rotation/shape icon to the bottom of the Brush Presets tab. I have plenty of vertical space on my monitor for the additional tools, but at least give us the option to turn it off and on.

The brush icons are too small to be any good in the Brush Tip Shape window.

3: Allow us to view LARGE brush icons in the Brush Tip Shape window. If so, we could stay with that tab open and not have to switch back to Brush Presets to find a different brush and back again to rotate it.

All three of these suggestions would help tremendously, but many people have been asking for hot keys (or at least Action support) for brush rotation for many years.

Thanks,

M. Jackson (Photoshop user since version 2.5)

• 4. Re: Rotate Brushes
                emil emil Level 4

1: Let us pull out the little rotation/shape adjustment feature onto a floating tab on the desktop.We could press F5 to open and close the brushes, but still have access to the rotation and shape adjustments without the brush menus. With all the rotation options, I'd love to see the wireframe representation in the middle of our open document rotate as we rotate the arrow below the circle in the adjustment icons. Currently, we have to spin the circle, then go back to the document to see if we spun it enough or in the right direction. I know we can turn off the Spacing option to view the tool at each end of the Stroke preview and the small brush rotates interactively. That's close, I guess.

Why such complication and bloating the interface when you can as I suggested just Ctrl + Alt + drag the right mouse button? During this you will see clearly the profile of your brush and its rotation angle interactively changing. This is exactly how currently you can resize the brush by holding Alt and dragging with the right mouse button - it shows you clearly  the size and shape of the brush. If you want to know the current rotation of the brush this is already implemented in the brush's control panel , just look there, it shows you the size of the brush, and on top its shape and rotation all the time.

• 5. Re: Rotate Brushes
                  2ManyImages Level 1

Hello emil emil,

I hope you are correct here, but I don't see any rotation at all when I use the Control-Alt-RightClickDrag commands. I only get the brush resize whether I use only the Alt or the Control-Alt commands with the right mouse click. Is there a command I need to activate to cause the Contol key to rotate the brush?

The image below shows my attempts to make the brush rotate. If you can make it rotate with keyboard/mouse commands, please try to explain it again. When I do the resize commands, I only see a circle indicating the approximate size of the brush, but not a preview of the actual brush as it gets resized. Maybe I don't have a pref set correctly?

brushsizes.jpg

• 6. Re: Rotate Brushes
                    2ManyImages Level 1

I spent quite a bit of time trying to rotate the brush as emil emil suggested, but never succeeded in rotating with the keystroke/drag combination.

The trial and error tasks did get me closer as I discovered I could right mouse click anywhere in the image to bring up a brush list. I changed the small icons to large and it then resembled the Brush Preset window. It is available at any time by simply right mouse clicking. At that point, I only needed to access the Brush Tip Shape window to change the rotation and using the Control+Alt+Right Drag commands, I could change the size quickly. So, I eleminated a screen.

The Brush Tip Shape window takes up a lot of horizontal real estate on the screen, so I'd still suggest this little tear off tab to float on the screen or dock with other tabs. I think it would work fine for most of what I need right now and save a lot of clicking in the brush screens.

rotate_tab.JPG

• 7. Re: Rotate Brushes
                      2ManyImages Level 1

Sorry emil emil,

I mis-read part of your posts. I thought you were saying you could do it already and I was asking for something already in the program and I was missing it. Yes, adding a Control command to the Alt-Drag would be fine. Sorry!

They people at Adobe are darned good at figuring out what we need and getting it in the program and probably better than we could have imagined. It sure looks like a needed and requested feature.

M. Jackson

• 8. Re: Rotate Brushes
                        emil emil Level 4

Sorry emil emil,

I mis-read part of your posts. I thought you were saying you could do it already and I was asking for something already in the program and I was missing it. Yes, adding a Control command to the Alt-Drag would be fine. Sorry!

Yeah, it is only a feature request for now and like you I whish it was already available.

When I do the resize commands, I only see a circle indicating the approximate size of the brush, but not a preview of the actual brush as it gets resized. Maybe I don't have a pref set correctly?

Actually it shows brush preview only for the default hard and soft brushes but for the rest of the brushes it shows only the circle outline indicating the size, so this goes in the request list too:

REQUEST UPDATE:
                        Adobe, please add brush preview for all kinds of brushes during the interactive resizing with the Alt + dragging - the way it currently works with the hard and soft brushes and please implement this for the requested new feature Alt + Ctrl + dragging for brush rotation.