5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2010 5:21 PM by the_wine_snob

my mpeg-2 conv gets "time-chopped" when opened in PC realplayer

wateon

I'm am producing video content for a "video wall" at a hotel and I have encountered a problem when I try to upload my videos on the PC running the "video wall".

I am using Encoder CS4 to convert my .mov and .flv files to mpeg-2 which produces a .m2v file on my Mac. I then have to manually change the extension to ".mpg" in order for it to play on any media player on a PC running Windows XP.

The odd thing is that when the videos play on the PC in Realplayer for example, the time track displays a reduced total play time of about 40% of the original. So, say I made a .mov that was 45 seconds long, once converted and uploaded onto the PC, It shows a total play time of 25 seconds. The video continues to play past the end of the time track, but the anomaly chop's my video's to the reduced "total time" displayed on the time track when fed into the software* that runs the video wall.

The content is filmed in HD on a Sony HDR-HC1, then fed into I-Movie (cause Premier won't recognize my camera for some reason), edited and exported as a high quality .mov in native frame rate. Then, its converted to HD mpeg-2 same native rez and frame rate.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I will be making more of these in the future and I would like to sort this issue out.

Any Ideas as to whats happening?

Cheers,

Paul

* Audience TV is used to run the "video wall" and its content.

• 1. Re: my mpeg-2 conv gets "time-chopped" when opened in PC realplayer
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First question: on the PC, what does G-SPOT say the m2v's Duration is?

Will the PC not play a MP4/H.264, through QT Player?

If you play the file in say MediaPlayer Classic HC (IMHO head and shoulders better than RealMedia's player and free), are things different?

With the steps in the workflow, one might have to reverse-engineer and test along the path, to see where the Duration problem is creeping in.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - you might want to think about posting separately on the camera recognition issue with PrPro. Please make sure to give complete system specs, and any errors, etc. that you get, when attempting to do the Capture in PrPro. Good luck on that too.

• 2. Re: my mpeg-2 conv gets "time-chopped" when opened in PC realplayer
            shooternz Level 6

Did you try encoding to mpeg-2 and multiplexing as DVD (which gives you an .mpeg file)

This should play well on any platform and may solve your issue.

• 3. Re: my mpeg-2 conv gets "time-chopped" when opened in PC realplayer
              wateon Level 1

Thanks for the quick response,

The G-spot program gives the file a length of 45 seconds just like the original. I tried the Media Player Classic HC and it played the video but at an accelerated pace and compressed the entire video into the reduced 25 seconds.

The Audience TV program that runs the "video wall" is limited to a few file types. For video, it only supports mpg or mpeg-2. So I'm stuck with converting to this file type. Unfortunately, I don't have the option of using an alternate media player on that "video wall" PC.

I have tested every stage of the workflow and variations of quality and frame rates several times. I tested the mpegs on my Mac in SoundBooth and they run fine. The duration gets lost on the PC side every time.

I wonder if its a Mac vs PC conspiracy ;P

any other ideas?

Cheers,

Paul

• 4. Re: my mpeg-2 conv gets "time-chopped" when opened in PC realplayer
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                I wonder if its a Mac vs PC conspiracy ;P

Paul,

While I believe in some conspiracy theories, this is not one of them - usually... Hey, why are those black helicopters overheard? Is that an image of an apple, with a bite out of it?

Back to G-Spot for a moment. What was shown as the Frame Rate?

Gotta' be something (other than just platforms), that is afoot here. All we have to do is follow the trail and find that weak link.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: my mpeg-2 conv gets "time-chopped" when opened in PC realplayer
                  shooternz Level 6

At what stage in your workflow are you converting to mpeg?

eg. are you converting source footage before you edit or are you editing native and then encoding as mpeg.