4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2010 11:09 AM by TheMarkness

Can't use modifier keys on my kensington keyboard. Help!?

antwerpblue

back story:

I have the white imac. I spilled coffee on my original wireless

apple keyboard. I couldnt order the new version of the keyboard that comes with the aluminum imac bc my system was too outdated, and they no longer sell the white ones (grrrrrr,)

So I ended up buying this white kensington for macs

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/414677-REG/Kensington_64366_SlimType_Keyboard_for_Ma c.html

Anyways, I just went to illustrator for the first time and none of the modifier keys work. Although when I am on the web I can cut, copy and paste with the command keys.

I dont know why apple would stop making the keyboard that goes with a computer that is only a few years old. Makes no sense.

thanks

• 1. Re: Can't use modifier keys on my kensington keyboard. Help!?
          Jesseham Level 4

I think you're the only one out there that misses that clunky old keyboard. The new aluminum ones are super nice once you get adjusted to not having to punch 1/2" straight down on keys that get all hung up on each other half the time.  ;-) 

Usually, when someone here has issue with modifier keys not working, it's because there is an app running in the background that is intercepting keystrokes, usually for security purposes.  Quicken is one that comes to mind.  Also, having a VPN running could do it as well.  There was some MS app that did it as well... Entourage maybe?

• 2. Re: Can't use modifier keys on my kensington keyboard. Help!?
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

There maybe some things like spotlight and dashboards whoe shortcuts might conflict or crrupt the short cuts eposé as well turn off the shortcuts and see if that helps.

• 3. Re: Can't use modifier keys on my kensington keyboard. Help!?
              antwerpblue Level 1

Yeah I agree the white keyboard was clunky, I dont really miss it. The problem is you can't just use the new lighter keyboards with the white imacs bc the operating system is outdated. The apple store told me I needed to upgrade my operating system and it would cost me 170 dollars, which I found incredulous.

I dont think its due to an app running or an expose issue, thanks for your responses.

aghhhh maybe ill have to buy an old crusty one on ebay. why the heck would apple not make a compatible keyboard for their 3 year old computer anymore, WHYYYYYY???!!!

• 4. Re: Can't use modifier keys on my kensington keyboard. Help!?
                TheMarkness Level 1

Your first problem is owning a Mac...apart from that, did you have drivers to install with the keyboard?  I've used Kensington products before, and like Logitech products, sometimes you have to install drivers to be able to use them.  Not knowing off hand what you're using, I'd assume that you probably didn't install the drivers either properly, or at all, or update them.  In my experience, 90% of people having problems with after-market hardware/peripherals not working properly is a driver issue.

Hope this solves your problem.  If it doesn't, there's always the PC side!  We gladly welcome all former Mac users into the community!