3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2010 9:00 PM by Andrew Yoole

How to do i prevent ram previews from resetting?

Im trying to place clips in time, but i have to ram preview it to play the clip in realtime, even without effects. This is causing a delay of 15 seconds between making a change and seeing it. Ive tried using proxies but it appears AE is unable to play even the tiniest low res proxy in realtime without ram previewing it first, which may be how it was designed, i dont know, but i would like to know if theres anyway to make AE behave more like premiere where when you render a clip and move it on the timeline it stays rendered. I've tried using dynamic link as well and it appears even with proxies, and rendered, premiere struggles to play the clip, most likely due to the size of the comp and its 60fps rate, so it seems my only option is AE.

• 1. Re: How to do i prevent ram previews from resetting?
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Everything you view on the AE timeline must be loaded into the RAM buffer before playback.  So no, you can't bypass the RAM preview functionality - it's integral to the way AE works.  RAM previews should remain intact (green line) so long as nothing else in your composition that effects that part of the timeline has changed, or until AE requires the RAM for other purposes.  Sometimes, surprisingly simple associations can be overlooked:  for example, if you have a Wiggle expression applied to one layer, and you add a new layer to the comp, the WIggled layer will need to re-render, because the Wiggle expression uses the index of layers to randomize it's output.

Enabling disk caching may help to speed up RAM preview builds, depending on the content of your timeline.  Also note that you can double-click a footage item in the Project window and play it in real time as a standalone file, disk speeds permitting.

• 2. Re: How to do i prevent ram previews from resetting?
            345712473471 Level 1

That doesnt really address the issue of how to get around rerendering everything when i do a simple thing such as move a clip along the timeline.

• 3. Re: How to do i prevent ram previews from resetting?
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

As I said, RAM previews are integral to the way AE works.  After Effects plays composited material from RAM, not source material from hard drives.  If you require instant viewing response times, you need to use an editing application, rather than a compositing program.  The typical workflow involves editing source files in an NLE, then compositing/mo-gfx with the resulting edit.