14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2010 11:14 AM by staring-into-space

Improving Video Quality

staring-into-space
      How do I improve a video's quality through Premiere Elements 8.0?
      By that, I mean make the entire video look sharper. On my camcorder, the video looks alright, but when I upload it into Elements, it becomes blurry. I tried adding a Sharpen video effect, and when I rendered the video, I changed the size to 640x480 (from 320x240), increased its quality, and had the MPEG-4 setting, as a book on video making had suggested. While this did improve the quality a little bit, most parts of the video are still too blurry.
      Any suggestions on how to further improve the video quality? Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Improving Video Quality
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's all about matching the project preset with the camcorder source, staring. (And note that some camcorders -- such as Flips and other pocket camcorders -- produce video that's best not to use natively in this program.) If your video source matches your project setting, the results should be virtually identical to the original.

What kind of camcorder did this video come from and how did you get it into your computer?

What project preset are you using?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Improving Video Quality
            VDOSurfer Level 3

If you mean making it better than the original, it will be very tricky because it will depend on what you call improvement..

Blockiness, Jerkiness, Color etc are all parameters for video quality. Improving any one of them through post processing (read "add effects") will not have a very desirable effect on the other parameters.

Sharpness is a post processing step to negate a bad focus used during shooting... You can add an effect the video, but that is not guaranteed to make it look better.

And in general, adding a specific filter (Effects) onto the video will definitely alter the video, but is that better or worse.. You decide.

I hope I understood your query correctly.

• 3. Re: Improving Video Quality
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Steve and VDOSurfer have hit some of the high points on getting things correct in the very beginning. That will likely get you the quality that you see on the camera. To help us help you with the settings, some information is very useful. This ARTICLE will give you some tips on what info we can use.

As has been mentioned, matching the Project Preset to your footage is job 1. Then, for ultimate playback (really just an emulation, or preview), one would Render their Timeline (red bars at the top will turn green), and set their Program Monitor (the screen, where one previews) Magnification to 100% from Fit. You will probably need to resize the Program Monitor a bit now, to see all of the image. Hit Spacebar key.

If you still wish to "correct" aspects of your footage, we can step you through several Effects to use.

Hope that this helps, and good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Improving Video Quality
                staring-into-space Level 1

Thanks for the help so far. Here's the details regarding the camera I was using, and the settings on Premiere Elements:

My camcorder is a Sony Handycam with model number HDR-SR12. It's a digital HD video camera recorder that shoots in NTSC 1920x1080i HD recording. Its record mode during the time I shot the video was AVC HD 9M (HQ), which records in higher image quality mode. I connected the video camera to my computer through a USB cable.

The computer itself is a Windows 7 desktop computer. The CPU is an HP Pavilion Elite HPE-150f PC with Intel Core i7-860 processor. I imported the video into Premiere by selecting "Get Media From" and then choosing the third option from the top.

I did not touch the settings in Premiere Elements at all, so I am assuming they are at default values. Some of my friends who have used Premiere say that there is something going on between the transfer of the video from camcorder into Premiere, most likely that the settings between Premiere and the camcorder do not match.

To clarify, I just want the rendered video to have the same quality (ie, sharpness) as the video would have if I played it back using only the camera. On playback on the camcorder, the video looks fine. When I attach an HDMI cable from the camcorder to the computer monitor, and play the video back, it still looks fine. It's only when I upload it into Premiere when I run into problems.

Any further help will be greatly appreciated.

• 5. Re: Improving Video Quality
                  Paul787 Level 3

As Steve and Bill suggest, it may well be your presets. Your Sony camera appears to be an AVCHD format camera with Dolby 5.1. You could try the following settings and see if they help.

After starting Premiere Elements, select New Project, and the Setup window will show you the available presets. Choose: NTSC/AVCHD/Full HD 1080i 30 5.1 channel. You might want to try this with just a few clips in a New Project to see if the playback quality improves.

Let us know how things work out.

• 6. Re: Improving Video Quality

Thanks for the suggestion, Paul787, but it still doesn't seem to work.

I created a new project, and had the setup window match the setting you provided. I then imported video files through the USB cable, and rendered the video. There was not much of an improvement, as much of the background are blurry. All moving objects, too, are not as sharp as they would appear in the camcorder's playback feature. The moving objects in the video appear blurry around the edges, while large portions of the background are blurry all throughout the different objects.

• 7. Re: Improving Video Quality
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you are using the right project preset, this should not be happening, staring. There is no reason your rendered video in an AVCHD 1920x1080 project should not look as good as the original.

Assuming you're recording at full quality, of course, and not using one of this cam's lower quality or memory card recording settings.

• 8. Re: Improving Video Quality
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Are you judging the footage in PrE with the Program Monitor? What does it look like, when you change the Magnification from Fit to 100% (you will probably have to resize the Program Monitor)?

As Steve says, if the Project Preset matches the source footage, you should not have any image degradation.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Improving Video Quality

I'm still having problems.

While I was able to get the video quality to be the same as the quality on the camcorder's playback feature, I was only able to do so at 50% zoom on a 640x480 video, only half the size I want it to be (I'm intending to upload to YouTube, as multiple books recommend saving videos at 640x480). At 100%, the video is still too blurry.

Is my monitor having an impact on the video quality? It is an Acer S293HL LED monitor. At the time of viewing the video, my resolution was 1920x1080 (widescreen). There does not appear to be any way to change to another ratio size, like 4:3.

• 10. Re: Improving Video Quality
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I am still not sure if your Project Preset matches 100% to your source footage. Can you confirm that.

Let's forget the Export/Share setting for now, and concentrate on just the source footage and the Project Preset.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Improving Video Quality

Thanks for the help, everyone; I really appreciate it. The problem has been resolved.

• 12. Re: Improving Video Quality
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                The problem has been resolved.

That is great news and thank you for reporting your success.

Happy editing,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Improving Video Quality
                                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>The problem has been resolved

How?

Please post EXACTLY what you did, so someone else who reads this will know the solution

• 14. Re: Improving Video Quality

As Paul787 said, there is the option to choose presets in the setup window when creating a new project. In this case, the setting to choose is: NTSC/AVCHD/Full HD 1080i 30 5.1 channel.

Then, when exporting the video, I chose to save it as a .wmv file, and chose the setting HD 1080i 30, which has the video in HD 1080i at 30 frames per second. When playing the rendered video, the video quality was the same as the quality the video has on the camcorder's playback feature, and when uploaded to YouTube, the quality remained the same.