4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2010 7:40 AM by pziecina

browswer based pages

birddog1030

i am confused on a couple of things.

1.  i am building my site locally with dreamweaver and the finishing product will be on a server.  my question is will i be able to install my pages onto a server without having to use a web address? instead installing it to a drive and things still work?

2.  has anyone had trouble playing flash video after it is moved from its original folder it was created?

thanks

Larry

• 1. Re: browswer based pages
          pziecina Level 6

Hi

Although it is not necessary to have a www address and simply use an IP address, no one will be able to find your site that does not know the IP address. So if your site is just for you and your friends, (and you have a fixed IP from your ISP or host) then using an IP is acceptable, but if it is for 'wider' use then a www address is required.

As for question 2, providing the file structure remains the same and all required supporting files are also uploaded to the server, then swf/flv's should work.

PZ

www.pziecina.com

• 2. Re: browswer based pages
            birddog1030 Level 1

ok, but let me ask something.  if the file structure is "c:\cev30001\video" and the video works there.

when i move it to a server, the address may become "r:\projects\cev30001\video"  at this point, it stops working.

so if i dont know where the person will install this on the server, this may not work correct?

Thanks,

Larry

• 3. Re: browswer based pages
              birddog1030 Level 1

this project will not be going on the web, so it is fine that other people can not find it.  it is made only for local use.  but for some things to work, it needs to be installed on a server.

Larry

• 4. Re: browswer based pages
                pziecina Level 6

Hi

Providing it is only used 'locally' the file paths should reflect the 'local' site structure. If you will be installing on a server then all file paths, (not just swf/flv files) must reflect the servers structure.

PZ