14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2010 12:13 PM by baron jorel

It might be simple but...

baron jorel Level 1

Hello Illustrator group:

I just began learning the program, after years of working on PS, ID, AF, PrePro, etc. and have been working on a project that requires Illustrator. It should be simple, but for the life of me, I can't figure out a way to do it.

I already put a graphic together in PS CS4 but it prints a little blurry, the reason I want to do it in Illustrator.

Any suggestions, or observations will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Peter

The logo is a musical clef interwined with the letter C.music.jpg

• 1. Re: It might be simple but...
          PrepressPro1 Adobe Community Professional

The key signature symbol can be as is in illustrator but to intertwine them you will need the "C" above and below the Key symbol. Copy and past the "C" from below on top of the the Key symbol and remove the upper portion of the top most "C" causing the illusion that is is intertwined.

• 2. Re: It might be simple but...
            baron jorel Level 1

Thanks for getting back. The problem I'm having ... and it's my lack of expertise with the program... is that I am not able to erase the top of the clef in order to give the illusion. I did it in PS but, everytime I try to cut or erase that section, the results are terrible.

For instance, in PS you simply use one of the many selection tools, etc. In Illustrator, the process is completely different.

Peter

• 3. Re: It might be simple but...
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I did it the same way using the cleft, my art work is a bit primitive but you get the idea. and I did not duplicate it I just cut it

Screen shot 2010-03-31 at 12.49.39 PM.png

Screen shot 2010-03-31 at 12.50.16 PM.png

• 4. Re: It might be simple but...
                Doug Katz Level 4

Are you wanting the bevel as well, or just the interlocking shapes. The former is a little harder to simulate. If just the latter:

1. Position both objects as you wish. Doesn't matter which is on top. Select both. Use Divide pathfinder. Now everything remains in the same location but there are individual objects where there were overlaps. Ungroup. Now repaint (fill) to create the illusion of overlap.

or

2. Select both after positioning. Convert to a Live Paint Group. Paint the different areas to create the illusion.

Read online Help about Divide and Live Paint Group if these are unfamiliar to you.

• 5. Re: It might be simple but...
                  baron jorel Level 1

It is pretty easy with Doug's suggestion. However.... yes, I am trying to give the shape a little bulge with bevel, etc. Let's see where that takes me. :)

The other thing I wanted to ask is: What is the best way to save the graphic to Indesign so it has the best quality? It will be set against a black background.

Thanks a million for all the help and suggestions.

P

• 6. Re: It might be simple but...

Save it as native Illustrator, this should place into ID just fine.

• 7. Re: It might be simple but...
                      baron jorel Level 1

Well, it's working and working very nicely as long as the background is of a light color because the moment I place the graphic againsta dark background, several fine... almost dotted lines... appear in the intersections, regardelss which graphic is in front.

What I did was set up the graphic in AI, save it as an AI file, bring it to ID, then give it some bevel/emboss form. It looks great, but, as I said stated, as long as the background is light.

Any suggestions? I want to thank you all. This is a pretty neat trick and the graphic looks great.

P

• 8. Re: It might be simple but...

This may just be a screen display issue in ID. Try turning on Overprint Preview in ID and see if the thin lines go away. Overprint Preview in ID, as in Illustrator will give you high res preview of placed items. You might also try export a PDF from ID and open it in Acrobat to see if this is a display issue.

AAWK

• 9. Re: It might be simple but...
                          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

In ID do you have high quality display chosen?

• 10. Re: It might be simple but...
                            baron jorel Level 1

Yes, I have high res set up. I seem to be having some issues, however, because when I try to view the pdf (exported from ID), although the thumbnail indicates a black background, when I open the file it only shows the graphic without the black background. If I export the pdf from acrobat to tiff or jpg it exports the black background.

There is no uploading of files at this time, so I can't have look at the file, maybe later.

Thanks for the help.

P

• 11. Re: It might be simple but...

When viewing the PDF in Acrobat my may need to view it with overprint preview on as well.

In the case of Acrobat 9 Pro you will need to use Advanced>Print Production>Output Preview. Let us know if the PDF displays correctly when this is done.

• 12. Re: It might be simple but...
                                baron jorel Level 1

The file looks very good, but I keep having the same display problem with Acrobat. I know the whole file is there by the thumbnail. Also, if I export it to jpg or tiff the file looks fine.

Now, this is something that never happened when I used the graphic from PS CS4 as the logo. I started having problems when I placed the AI CS4 file in ID CS4, then export to Acrobat.

The problem with the faint lines disappeared once I traced the original clef from the PS file in AI. Before I used the clef glyph and increased its size to specs.

One last item is that I'm noticing that the black background is not as rich as I would like. Is there a way to improve this? I included a link so you can download and view the test file. Let me know if you see the black background.

Thank you one and all.

http://www.diplo.org/test.pdf

Peter

PS: I output a pdf file by "printing" to the pdf printer, instead of exporting and I see the file fine. Does this mean that it is the "exporting" parameters that are giving me trouble?

• 13. Re: It might be simple but...
                                  Doug Katz Level 4

For what it's worth, I am not seeing the hairlines.

May I ask how you produced the highlights and shadows of the bevel? I assume you did this in Illustrator? Or is it an InDesign Effect?

• 14. Re: It might be simple but...
                                    baron jorel Level 1

The bevel effects were done in ID because I did not like the results from Illustrator. The problem I was having ... unable to see the background etc. was due to the "accessability" feature in Acrobat. I guess someone at Adobe figured that it would be convenient to have a feature that would replace document colors. Once I clicked that off everything looks the way it's supposed to.

Thanks for the help...

Peter