11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2010 7:24 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 7 - When play my work frame problems occur. codec issues?

jenk1907 Level 1

Hello,

I use Premiere Elements 7 to edit my videos; however, recently I have found that most of the videos I add to my work shows a frame problem every time I play. I am not so familiar with the terms but I will try my best to explain how it happens.

1. I open a new project

2. Add a video (usually avi format)

3. I play the video whitout editing.

4. I see that after every 5 frames there is a frozen frame (like a dublicate of the 5th frame)

It results me to cut my video in every 5 frames to get rid of the frozen frame and it takes a lot of time.

What would be causing that? When I play the video with my media players it shows perfectly but when I add it to Premiere Elements 7 to edit, this is what happens.

I also see that there are multiple fddshow icons on the right bottom of my screen.

I assume there is something wrong with the codecs. In that case, what would be the best codec to have in order to edit my videos on PE7?

What do you suggest I do?

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 7 - When play my work frame problems occur. codec issues?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Two things that would help us would be the full details of those .AVI files, and also what Project Preset you are using, when you go to New Project.

The AVI format is but a "wrapper." They can contain all sorts of "stuff." This ARTICLE will give you some background on wrappers and will also tell you how to "peek" inside with the great, free utility, G-Spot.

Please tell us what G-Spot says about your AVI files, and then tell us about your Project Preset.

Good luck, and we'll be looking for that info,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere Elements 7 - When play my work frame problems occur. codec issues?
            jenk1907 Level 1

Dear Bill,

Thank you very much for your fast response. I read your thread about the G-spot. It is very helpful!

So I downloaded and run G-spot. You can see the screenshots below. I use two different media files to edit.

2.jpg1.jpg

When I click on new project and see that the only option I have in Project Setting is PAL-DV-Standard 48kHz (when I click on change settings, nothing shows up) Isn't it weird?

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 7 - When play my work frame problems occur. codec issues?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK. You have Xvid footage. Is this from maybe a helmet cam? If possible, do NOT use Xvid. It is a very heavily compressed, delivery-only (not meant to be edited) format/CODEC. It strips out tons of data, to get the file size down for streaming delivery.

If you cannot by-pass the Xvid (like with the helmet cams), then converting that to DV-AVI Type II will be the best workflow. I use DigitalMedia Converter, but it is shareware. There are freeware conversion programs, like Prism, which gets high marks here. I have not used it, but others really like it.

Personally, I'd do anything to NOT use Xvid, 'cause the quality will be shot, after it is used to encode the material.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Premiere Elements 7 - When play my work frame problems occur. codec issues?
                jenk1907 Level 1

I used DigitalMedia Converter to convert the first file which was 2.05 GB to Digital Video AVI Type II type and NTSC framerate: 30 720x576.

Now it is 10.1 GB but the quality is not so good. The original file is HD. However, the frame freezing problem is solved. Is there an alternative solution to keep the quality the same? Maybe it is because of my codecs? The creator of the original file told me that he is using AVC Core 2.0.0 codec for HD, NVIDIA PureVideo codec for MPEG, MEga codec, and WINDVD InterVideo for audio codec under Windows 7 operating system. I am using Windows Vista Home Premium edition and I am not sure if these codec would help me but I know that I have installed different codec packs before so I still do not know how to get rid of the old ones nor what codecs to install for my needs.  What would you recommend?

Here is the Gspot screenshot of the converted file.

3.jpg

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 7 - When play my work frame problems occur. codec issues?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I am not familiar with the AVC Core 2.0.0 codec for HD. It could be possible that if you acquire that one, things will get better. What I do not understand is how Xvid came into play here. Either G-Spot is confused because you do not have the AVC Core 2.0.0 codec for HD, or the shooter forgot that Xvid was used.

Maybe Google for that CODEC and see if you can download and install it on your machine. Once done, I'd run the file back through G-Spot again, to see if that Xvid changes.

And, as you have seen, down-rezing from HD to DV-AVI SD will not maintain the quality of the HD, as it is SD only.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I also just realized that you have footage of two different Frame Sizes, SD and HD. I had only seen the SD, and just checked the CODEC for the other. Both were Xvid.

Now, are you using both the SD and the HD in the same Project? What is the Project Preset?

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 7 - When play my work frame problems occur. codec issues?
                    jenk1907 Level 1

Maybe the codecs I currently have has something to do with it. As I do all these things there are three FFaudio and two FFvideo icons on my taskbar. I have installed AVC CORE 2.0 codec. The video still has frozen frames in it when I put in on PE7. I am very aware of the amount of codecs installed to my system. How can I found out what codec I have and what is the best method to get rid of them? Here is a Gspot screenshot of the file after installing AVC Core 2.0 codec. It still shows Xvid.

5.jpg4.jpg

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 7 - When play my work frame problems occur. codec issues?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, one big problem. You have FFDShow. That has been known to really mess up playback in all Adobe programs. It is also very tough to remove. Many users have had to resort to a total wipe, reformat of the system disk and then a total reinstall of the OS and all programs.

Next, G-Spot has a Tables area on the Toolbar. That will tell you what you have installed. I want to warn you that you will likely get a false-positive regarding the Adobe MainConcept CODEC's. The report will probably be that they are not installed properly. This is because Adobe names the CODEC's a bit differently, so that other programs, like K-Lite CODEC Pack, do not overwrite them with hacked, and reverse-engineered versions of real CODEC's.

Did you install K-Lite, or another CODEC "pack?" I always recommend that one only install the CODEC's, that are necessary. I also try to go to the source for all of my CODEC's, even if I have to pay for them, and there is some form of "free" version out there.

With FFDShow, I am not sure what the answer will be.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 7 - When play my work frame problems occur. codec issues?
                        jenk1907 Level 1

Yes I have previously installed K-Lite and maybe a few other codecs. It seems very challenging to remove these codecs. Once I have changed the codecs and my work on PE7 got messed up and was not able display most of the pieces in my work therefore I had to go back an reconfigure to be able to continue to work on my project. Ever since then multiple FDDshow icons appear on my taskbar. I am able to play most of the files with my media players however when it comes to edit videos it seems very confusing to fix.

I am already thinking about switching to Windows 7 OS. In that case, cosidering to edit HD videos, would you still reccomend me install only K-Lite codec? What about also switching to PE8?

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 7 - When play my work frame problems occur. codec issues?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I am a fan of ONLY installing the exact CODEC's that I need, and when I need them. I use the great, free utility, G-SPOT to tell me which CODEC's I need for a particular Clip. I then try to find the source of that CODEC, and download and install just that one. I'd rather pay $ to the developer of that CODEC, if necessary, than find a free version. The originals almost always work better, as the free ones are usually hacked, or reverse-engineered versions. Now, some are free, even from the source, like the Lagarith Lossless CODEC, which I use as an intermediate format for transferring a file from program, to program, like from PrE to AfterEffects for compositing, especially where I would bring that composited file back into my editor for additional work.

K-Lite, if one ONLY allows the installation of the CODEC's, is one of the more benign ones, but I'd still rather ONLY add CODEC's as I need them. This keeps my machine as lean and clean, as is possible. Yes, it does mean that if a client hands me some video, I may have to research that Clip's CODEC and then download and install it, before I can play, or edit it.

This ARTICLE might prove useful in the discussion of CODEC's.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 7 - When play my work frame problems occur. codec issues?
                            jenk1907 Level 1

Dear Bill,

I have formated my computer and reinstalled my operating system Vista Home 32 bit. Then I switched from PRE7 to PRE8.

This is my computer info below;

CPU Türü QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300, 2500 MHz

4GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series 512 MB

I have AVC Core 2.0.0 codec, NVIDIA PureVideo codec for MPEG, K-lite MEga codecs installed as they are-without any configuration.

Gspot still shows Xvid codec XviD ISO MPEG-4.

File Length Correct
                            Multipart OpenDML AVI (2 parts)
                            (69639 frames in first part, 2663 frames follow)
                            Interleave: 1 vid frame (40 ms), preload=504
                            Audio frames: Split across interleaves

[JUNK] VirtualDub
                            [JUNK] MPEG2 build 24586/release
                            [ISFT] VirtualDubMod 1.5.4.1 (build 2178/release)
                            [USER] XviD0050

So I assume Xvid was used for this file. Considering that what would you reccomend me to do in order to view this file and be able to edit on PRE8?

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 7 - When play my work frame problems occur. codec issues?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, Xvid, like its commercial cousin, DivX, does not edit well, if at all. Usually on Import, one will only get the Audio, or only the Video, or just an error message.

The Xvid CODEC is free, open source, and just the DivX CODEC (not the Pro encoder) is also free.

With that heavily-compress, delivery-only CODEC, there are two choices, that I know of:

1.) convert the footage to something that PrE can edit, like DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV [Uncompressed]

2.) use CyberLink's PowerDirector, which has a much better chance of editing natively

This ARTICLE will give you a bit more background on CODEC's.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - for streaming delivery of AV material, Xvid, or DivX, are good CODEC's. However, they highly-compress the footage, removing a lot of data. They are also delivery-only CODEC's, and never meant to be edited.