16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2010 10:06 AM by emil emil

Interactive Hotkey Zoom Please.

emil emil Level 4

Why do we need to have the Navigator palette open wasting space and drag a slider to zoom in/out when we can just  drag directly anywhere in the canvas holding a hotkey in the same way the hand tool work.How about Space + Shift + drag does exactly what opening the Navigator palette and dragging its slider does?

Please remove this unnecessary pain. And no,  the current zooming in/out alternatives by pressing multiple times hotkeys or drawing a zoom selection are not exactly good alternatives.

• 1. Re: Interactive Hotkey Zoom Please.
          Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Are you using Photoshop CS4? and do you have Open GL enabled?

• 2. Re: Interactive Hotkey Zoom Please.
            Marijan Tompa [tomaxxi] Level 4

Hey!

If you are using OpenGL accelerated view in Photoshop CS4 you can use interactive zoom.

While you have some tool selected, for example Clone Stamp Tool (S), press key (H) on your keyboard, and click-hold left mouse button, and you will get whole image with zoom rectangle but only if your picture is zoomed in. You can do interactive Zoom In and Zoom Out same with keyboard shortcuts. Press Space+Control+hold left mouse button to zoom in, or Space+Alt+hold left mouse button to zoom out.

tomaxxi

• 3. Re: Interactive Hotkey Zoom Please.
              emil emil Level 4

tomaxxi, thanks, pressing left mouse button while holding Space Ctrl or Space Alt Ctrl does what I want, I wasn't aware of this before.

• 4. Re: Interactive Hotkey Zoom Please.
                emil emil Level 4

However, I whish I could zoom in or out by dragging the mouse left/right or up/down while holding the same hotkey combination instead of changing hotkey combinations while holding mouse. It is simply very unintuitive the way the implemented this.

• 5. Re: Interactive Hotkey Zoom Please.
                  Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Hmm - there is another solution open to you. At the bottom of the document window, here …

Picture 17.png

…is the percentage value you are currently viewing the document. Holding down command (control on a PC) and dragging your cursor over this area, will allow you to zoom the document interactively. Without opening the Navigator. Adding the Alt key to this key combination will allow very precise zooming.

This feature has been there since very early Photoshop, before CS4's Open GL zoom feature (too slow for my liking).  But it was not generally known.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Interactive Hotkey Zoom Please.
                    emil emil Level 4

Oh yes, Reynolds (Mark) that's actually works perfectly on my computer and is very precise while the previous solution Ctrl/Alt/Space + holding is actually totally useless because it has some sort of hyperbolic acceleration that's impossible to control.

Ctrl dragging the zoom value box works nicely but I still think that dragging anywhere in the canvas insted from a certain place will be perfect.

Anyway, thanks a million for that tip it is more than I was hoping for.

• 7. Re: Interactive Hotkey Zoom Please.
                      Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

I agree with you that the new Open GL zoom could be better implemented - at the moment  its  …

• far too slow for intelligent use. 
                      • a little inaccurate, as you say

I think having a hot key to drag zoom must have been considered quite carefully when they were putting together the new Open GL features. Unfortunately there are not a lot of shortcut combinations left thats the problem. Most of them have very good uses the way they are.

• 8. Re: Interactive Hotkey Zoom Please.
                        emil emil Level 4

I agree with you that the new Open GL zoom could be better implemented - at the moment  its  …

• far too slow for intelligent use. 
                        • a little inaccurate, as you say

What you are saying here, in my experience, is very valid for zooming with Ctrl/Alt + Space + holding left mouse button but I can't complain from the zooming performance and precision when Ctrl dragging from the Zoom field, may be I have better luck with my video card, but it works great - the only restriction is that I have to start dragging from that particular place instead of anywhere in the canvas.

Unfortunately there are not a lot of shortcut combinations left thats the problem. Most of them have very good uses the way they are.

Shift + Space seems available. It does nothing when I tried it with different tools

• 9. Re: Interactive Hotkey Zoom Please.
                          Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

No its used. Open two documents, any number actually, so they are visible at the same time. Zoom in. Shift > Space will allow you to pan around all your open documents at the same time.

• 10. Re: Interactive Hotkey Zoom Please.
                            tjhb Level 1

Mark, thanks for the things you've pointed out here. Very useful deep knowledge that I would not have come across otherwise.

This forum is an example of what I'm tempted to call "the power of negative thinking".

It is often productive to frame, in exact and careful terms, what cannot be done, and why it can't be done.

Then the brain (one's own, or someone else's) is naturally inclined to disprove the negative statement. And it often succeeds.

I find this an excellent programming technique. Sometimes I'll spend a couple of hours going through possible solutions to a problem. (Thinking positively.) Then I give up, and explain to myself why it's inevitable and understandable that I failed.

At which point, usually: ding!—So I'm trying to relocate "negative thinking" earlier into my programming workflow.

The same happens here, among a community. Very useful.

(Karl Popper would approve, for those who know him.)

• 11. Re: Interactive Hotkey Zoom Please.
                              Reynolds (Mark) Level 4
                              Sometimes I'll spend a couple of hours going through possible solutions to a problem. (Thinking positively).

interesting technique - I'll have to try that!

• 12. Re: Interactive Hotkey Zoom Please.
                                tjhb Level 1

I don't know whether that comment is ironic or not Mark. Different senses of humour are hard to judge over a distance.

So I want to make clear what I mean, with apologies if it's not necessary.

In my recent experience, being negative, but focussed, near the start of a problem-solving process is more promising than being positive. It is almost always my creative reaction to some clear negative thinking that winds up solving a problem.

That's what tends to happen here. We all benefit from creative responses to well thought out statements along the lines that "this can't be done, and here's why".

• 13. Re: Interactive Hotkey Zoom Please.
                                  emil emil Level 4
                                  No its used. Open two documents, any number actually, so they are visible at the same time. Zoom in. Shift > Space will allow you to pan around all your open documents at the same time.

ha, ha that was hilarious. Thanks. I wonder how many users discovered this naturally without reading the manual - I almost got the urge to open several Adobe programs and try some hotkey combination to see if I can work with multiple programs simultaneously. LOL

Seriously though, I'm using Photoshop since version 3 and never ever feel the need to pan several documents simultaneously. I often use two windows of the same document to see a closer detail in one and the whole picture in the other while painting but at the moment I can't imagine if I will ever need to pan multiple windows at the same time. May be now after I know about it I will see if I will ever use it.

Anyway, having all default hotkey combinations occupied should not be a reason for Adobe to not implement additional features like interactive zooming by dragging anywhere in the canvas while holding a hotkey combination. They can easily solve this with an additional "User Interactions" item in the Keyboard Shortcuts window that can cover this sort of things by offering multiple choices. I will gladly trade multiple windows panning with using Shift + Space for interactive zooming

• 14. Re: Interactive Hotkey Zoom Please.
                                    Reynolds (Mark) Level 4
                                    tjhb: I don't know whether that comment is ironic or not Mark. Different senses of humour are hard to judge over a distance.

Yes - it was a private joke directed at myself. Your lateral thinking technique for problem solving, is one that is interesting.

emil: I'm using Photoshop since version 3 and never ever feel the need to pan several documents simultaneously.

There are situations where you need to retouch using different views of the same document. An example, retouching the channels separately, and at the same time being able to see the composite view. Or see the CMYK channels while retouching in RGB (view > Proof setup > working …). That is one good example where you would need to pan different views simultaneously.

emil: They can easily solve this with an additional "User Interactions" item in the Keyboard Shortcuts

Yes, not sure how easy it is, but I think this is a very good Feature Request. I heard a rumor that they were thinking about making more of these shortcuts customizable.

• 15. Re: Interactive Hotkey Zoom Please.
                                      Level 7

I'm using Photoshop since version 3 and never ever feel the need to pan several documents simultaneously.

In many fields, it is a huge timesaver.   I'd guess that about 40% of customers do need to do that.
                                      And many book authors and Photoshop educators would be pretty angry if that feature were removed.

(plus me, who has to compare different processing applied to the same base image all the @#$%^&* time)

• 16. Re: Interactive Hotkey Zoom Please.
                                        emil emil Level 4

There are situations where you need to retouch using different viewsof the same document. An example, retouching the channels separately,and at the same time being able to see the composite view. Or seetheCMYK channels while retouching in RGB (view > Proof setup >working …). That is one good example where you would need to pandifferent views simultaneously.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm not sure if I will ever need to do these but I'll keep them in mind. I use a lot Ctrl + y to check CMYK colors when working with RGB but I prefer to compare by altering the same image instead of side by side comparison. This simply animates the differences and makes it much easier to spot even the very subtle nuances.

Yes, not sure how easy it is, but I think this is a very good Feature Request. I heard a rumor that they were thinking about making more of these shortcuts customizable.

I really hope so. And it should be easy because the functionality is already there, the major challenge is how to go about the user interaction which is not a programing problem but a decision making.

And many book authors and Photoshop educators would be pretty angry if that feature were removed.

(plus me, who has to compare different processing applied to the same base image all the @#$%^&* time)

Don't worry Chris, nobody is talking about removing features even if only a few users use. We are talking about adding features and options for hotkey usage based on user's priorities.