14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2007 9:56 PM by Newsgroup_User

Examples?

AtticusAI
      So, i'm looking into getting dreamweaver but would like to know exactly what i can do with it, and ONLY it.

I don't know HTML, I don't know css, I don't know any computer languages/code.

Can I create a decent web page using only the basic features of dreamweaver without any css/html knowledge?

Does anyone know of any websites built only with basic dreamweaver functions that I could take a look at?
        • 1. Re: Examples?
          Level 7
          .oO(AtticusAI)

>So, i'm looking into getting dreamweaver but would like to know exactly what i
          >can do with it, and ONLY it.
          >
          > I don't know HTML, I don't know css, I don't know any computer languages/code.

Bad.

> Can I create a decent web page using only the basic features of dreamweaver
          >without any css/html knowledge?

You can try, but it wouldn't make much sense. Every workman has to know
          how to properly use the tools for his work. Why should it be different
          with DW? It's just a tool! If you want to do something useful with it,
          you have to learn how to use it. This means to learn at least the basics
          of HTML and CSS _first_.

Micha
          • 2. Re: Examples?
            Level 7

"AtticusAI" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:f7dhfb$o62$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > So, i'm looking into getting dreamweaver but would like to know exactly
            > what i
            > can do with it, and ONLY it.
            >
            > I don't know HTML, I don't know css, I don't know any computer
            > languages/code.
            >
            > Can I create a decent web page using only the basic features of
            > dreamweaver
            > without any css/html knowledge?

You can, but it will be frustrating, and the pages you make will probably
            have problems. It's a waste of a good tool and of your time. If you would
            spend a few evenings learning basic HTML and CSS, you'd be miles further
            ahead and could actually do something decent with Dreamweaver. You don't
            need to buy expensive teaching videos or manuals - online tutorials are
            plenty good enough. And you don't need weeks, just a couple of hours, to
            have a good foundation.

--
            Patty Ayers | Adobe Community Expert
            www.WebDevBiz.com
            Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
            Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
            --

• 3. Examples?
              AtticusAI Level 1
              ok, how much HTML/css will i need to know?

I really don't want to do anything terribly complicated. Couple borders, couple links, add a banner.

I've looked into NVU, but the pages it created looked very... make shift.

The biggest thing I didn't like was that I couldn't make link housing (i doubt that's what it's called. I mean the buttons you see on a lot of sites that drop actuall links to other pages. For example, Make a "community" button that would drop the link to the forums, and another link to a news page), can you do that with dreamweaver?

And, again, I'm really looking for an example of a page made with only dreamweaver basic features.

• 4. Re: Examples?
                Level 7

news:f7dhfb$o62$1@forums.macromedia.com...

> Does anyone know of any websites built only with basic dreamweaver
                > functions
                > that I could take a look at?

It sounds like you want to see what can be made by someone who knows nothing
                about web design, using Dreamweaver. Nobody really wants to think about or
                show you sites like that. It can be done, but why, when with just a little
                effort you could use the tool the way it's supposed to be used, with an
                awareness of what goes on under the hood.

--
                www.WebDevBiz.com
                --

• 5. Re: Examples?
                  Level 7

news:f7dii2$pcj$1@forums.macromedia.com...

> I've looked into NVU, but the pages it created looked very... make shift.

The software doesn't determine what the results come out like. There's
                  really no correlation at all, honestly. I don't know what NVU is, but if
                  it's a web editor that allows direct code editing, you could make a
                  top-notch, stunningly professional web site with it, if you knew how.

> The biggest thing I didn't like was that I couldn't make link housing (i
                  > doubt
                  > that's what it's called. I mean the buttons you see on a lot of sites that
                  > drop
                  > actuall links to other pages. For example, Make a "community" button that
                  > would
                  > drop the link to the forums, and another link to a news page), can you do
                  > that
                  > with dreamweaver?

It sounds like you might be talking about what are usually called "flyout
                  menus" or "drop-down menus". Yes, you can do that with Dreamweaver, with a
                  little knowledge and effort. There are Dreamweaver extensions available
                  which make it a lot easier.

> And, again, I'm really looking for an example of a page made with only
                  > dreamweaver options.

Again, it's hard to get this concept across, but anything you've ever seen
                  on the web, including the entire Google or Amazon sites, could be made with
                  Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver just writes code.

Graphics make a big difference; you'll need some kind of an image editing
                  program too.

--
                  www.WebDevBiz.com
                  --

• 6. Examples?
                    AtticusAI Level 1
                    OK, thanks for all your guys' help, you're a great team!

Still though, if anyone sees this and happens to know of a decent website that was made using dreamweaver without any css or html knowledge, please link me!

Or, even a site that COULD be made with dreamweaver and no css/html knowledge.

I really don't want to spend any ammount of time learning css/html, as It's not important, and the site wont need much maintenance. But, i will if i have to.

• 7. Re: Examples?
                      Level 7
                      AtticusAI wrote:
                      > OK, thanks for all your guys' help, you're a great team!
                      >
                      > Still though, if anyone sees this and happens to know of a decent website that
                      > was made using dreamweaver without any css or html knowledge, please link me!
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      The folks who have done that are the ones who post here, asking why
                      their page doesn't look the way they expect!

--
                      Bonnie
                      • 8. Re: Examples?
                        Level 7
                        ;-)

--

Walt

"Bonnie" <kroko@pixel[occam]plum.com> wrote in message
                        news:f7dlb5$sm4$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > AtticusAI wrote:
                        >> OK, thanks for all your guys' help, you're a great team!
                        >>
                        >> Still though, if anyone sees this and happens to know of a decent
                        >> website that was made using dreamweaver without any css or html
                        >> knowledge, please link me!
                        >>
                        >>
                        >>
                        >>
                        > The folks who have done that are the ones who post here, asking why their
                        > page doesn't look the way they expect!
                        >
                        > --
                        > Bonnie

• 9. Re: Examples?
                          Level 7

news:f7dkb1$rhp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > OK, thanks for all your guys' help, you're a great team!
                          >
                          > Still though, if anyone sees this and happens to know of a decent website
                          > that
                          > was made using dreamweaver without any css or html knowledge, please link
                          > me!

Thanks - but did you *read* the replies?

--
                          www.WebDevBiz.com
                          --

• 10. Re: Examples?
                            Level 7

"Bonnie" <kroko@pixel[occam]plum.com> wrote in message
                            news:f7dlb5$sm4$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            > AtticusAI wrote:
                            >> OK, thanks for all your guys' help, you're a great team!
                            >>
                            >> Still though, if anyone sees this and happens to know of a decent
                            >> website that was made using dreamweaver without any css or html
                            >> knowledge, please link me!
                            >>
                            >>
                            >>
                            >>
                            > The folks who have done that are the ones who post here, asking why their
                            > page doesn't look the way they expect!

Right! Just look for that type of post, AtticusAI, and have a look at their
                            sites. :-D

--
                            www.WebDevBiz.com
                            --

• 11. Re: Examples?
                              joeq Level 1
                              the kind of page you're describing is really simple. in fact, it's quite possible that the energy you've spent posting on this topic is comparable to how much effort it would take to create your page. why not download a demo of dreamweaver, read through the help files, and give it a shot?
                              • 12. Re: Examples?
                                AtticusAI Level 1
                                Yes, i read the replies, P@tty, and understand that you want me to learn to use the tool closer to it's fullest potential. What you don't understand, though, is that I want to use it in the absolute most simple way I can, as I am too busy to learn HTML, or CSS. Plus, this is for a small hobby of mine, and I barely have enough time for it.
                                • 13. Re: Examples?
                                  bregent Most Valuable Participant
                                  >What you don't understand, though, is that I want to use it in the absolute most simple
                                  >way I can, as I am too busy to learn HTML, or CSS

I think the point everyone is trying to make is the DW is not a good tool if you're not willing to learn a little html and css. DW offers some quick development features like layers and layout tables that appeal to beginners, but are simply awful. It's also a very expensive tool if you are not going to be using it to more of its potential. I think for someone with your needs, there are probably better alternatives (though I can't recommend any since I don't use them). Can you give us an idea of what type of site you will be building and how complex?
                                  • 14. Re: Examples?
                                    Level 7
                                    Find a host that offers free web building tools and use those.

--

Walt

news:f7ejft$3bp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    > Yes, i read the replies, P@tty, and understand that you want me to learn
                                    > to use
                                    > the tool closer to it's fullest potential. What you don't understand,
                                    > though,
                                    > is that I want to use it in the absolute most simple way I can, as I am
                                    > too
                                    > busy to learn HTML, or CSS. Plus, this is for a small hobby of mine, and I
                                    > barely have enough time for it.
                                    >