16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2010 3:37 PM by Harm Millaard

Switching between sequences very slow

MtnBiker1966 Level 1

I'm using Premier Pro CS4.

When I switch between sequences my process jumps to 100% and it takes about 5 seconds for the sequence to show up.

This happens even if there is no video clips in the sequences.

Everything else runs great, just this problem.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Switching between sequences very slow
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First question would be to ask for details on your system, in full details. Tow areas to concentrate on are your I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, and also your video card and its driver. Next, tell us all about your Virtual Memory (Page File), and then the rest of the system, CPU, RAM, etc.

You say that this lag happens when a Sequence is empty. What about if both Sequences (the one you are viewing and the one that you are heading to)?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Switching between sequences very slow
            MtnBiker1966 Level 1

Thanks Bill,

My machine specs:

Dell Precision 420

• XP SP 3 32-bit (all MS updates completed)
            • Xeon CPU 3.20GHZ 3.19 GHz,
            • 3GB RAM
            • C: drive is Hitachi HDP7250GLA360 (applications installed on this drive)
              • 36.5 GB available here
            • E: dirve is WD Caviar Green WD10EADS - hard drive - 1 TB - SATA-300 (source videos and scratch disks going here)
              • Virtual Memory set to System Managed Size going here.
              • Space available is 629429 MB
            • Display Adapter is an ATI FireGL V7200 256MB
              • All setting set to factory default
              • Driver updated

It's slow to change between two empty sequences or even if both have clips in them.

I appreciate the help, and in the future I'll include the above specs with all questions. Sorry for the bad etiquette.

Sam.

• 3. Re: Switching between sequences very slow
              Harm Millaard Level 7

It looks like an underpowered system. Bad disk setup and the Xeon is possibly a single core and limited memory all contribute to that slowness. It is a wonder you can even start that machine with a fill rate of 90+% on your boot disk. What crap do you have on that disk? It should not contain more than 40-50 GB even with the complete Master Collection and numerous additional files installed.

• 4. Re: Switching between sequences very slow
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Sam,

Your C:\ is very full. That will slow things down quite a bit. Also, as your Page File is dynamically managed, and located on your C:\, you could actually be running totally out of space. The performance of a HDD starts to drastically slow, from about 75% full.

Did you update your ATI from the Dell site, or from ATI? If Dell, please check the ATI site, to see if a more recent version is available. Dell was very good at getting the latest video drivers, but seem to have been much slower lately, sometimes by 3-4 versions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Switching between sequences very slow
                  MtnBiker1966 Level 1

Bill, Harm,

A BIG thanks to you both for your replies, I really appreciate your time and expertise.

Harm,

Yep, a lot of crap on my C Drive…cleaning that up now. Good call, but I had 36GB free on a 99.9GB disk. But that’s still not enough so I’m in the process of cleaning up a lot.

So, right now my disk set up is like so:

The 500GB Hitachi HDP7250GLA360 is partitioned out to C: and D: drives.
                  • C: has all the apps installed and is 99.8 GB (I'll post my free space after the cleanup)
                  • D:  has development files and is 365 GB

My E: drive is the 1TB WD Caviar Green WD10EADS - hard drive - SATA-300 and has 525 GB free space

• My source videos and scratch disks going here

Harm, how should these drive be set up? I set this up for CS3 recommendations from Adobe. hmmmm...

Oh, and you are correct this is a single core processor.  I know, this machine is strugglin' but she's all I got captain.

Bill, my Page file is on the E: drive not my C: drive, and it is set to System Managed Size. My guess at this point is this is NOT a good idea based off your comment about it being “dynamically changed”. I’ll set this to what Adobe recommends in TechNote kb404877:

7. In the Initial Size box, enter a value equal to one and a half times the amount of the computer's installed RAM.

So I have 3GB of RAM, I'll set this to 4608 MB

8. In the Maximum Size box, enter a value equal to twice the amount of the Initial Size value.

I'll set this to 9216 MB

Also, I upgraded my vid drivers directly from ATI so I should be good to go there.

Once I get all these setting in I’ll ping y’all to let you know how she’s running. And once again—thanks! I'll drink a fine glass of vino in both of your honor tonight.

Happy Easter.

• 6. Re: Switching between sequences very slow
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Bill, my Page file is on the E: drive not my C: drive, and it is set to System Managed Size. My guess at this point is this is NOT a good idea based off your comment about it being “dynamically changed”.

For NLE work, I like to set my Page File statically, so that it is written to the same area of the HDD at boot-up. That also takes a little processor load off, as Windows basically does a setup and forget. Having it on your E:\ is probably better than having it on a partitioned, small, nearly full C:\. Given your RAM, I'd look at statically setting the Page File to 1.5 t 2x the RAM. I go a bit more and Harm gives me fits for doing so. He says that is so '90s!

As for the partition, other than stealing some space from your system drive, so long as it is NOT being used and accessed, except for special operations on your part, it should be benign. Now, if you had media, Scratch Disks, Projects, Exports, or anything else involving your editing, I'd beg you to eliminate it. As is, it seems a repository for other programs and files, and has zero to do with your editing - is that correct?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Switching between sequences very slow
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

A couple of remarks:

1. Remove the partition. Partitioning does not help. It only slows things down and causes greater wear and tear on your drive.

2. Use a fixed page file (min = max) of around 9 GB. Defrag your disk with a boot time defrag, so your page file is included in the degrag, or better

3. Add a 7200 (e)SATA disk and put your page file on this disk. Green disks are not done for editing.

Cleaning up will help significantly. For comparison, I have 45 GB in use on my C drive, but that includes the whole Master Collection of CS4, including all documentation, Audition CS3, Ultra CS3, Flash CS3, two other versions of AE, PR and EN, Sonic Fire, MB Looks, Color Finesse, Movie Outline, Pixelan and a whole range of other applications and tools.

• 8. Re: Switching between sequences very slow
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

In that list of programs on your C:\, you forgot to mention QuickTime...

Though I hate partitions with a passion, given the use in the OP's case, do you still think it's a contributing factor?

Hunt

• 9. Re: Switching between sequences very slow
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Not so much for performance, but to avoid the wear and tear on this single fast disk.

And, yes, I forgot to mention QuiRckTime, but if you know Color Finesse, I would assume you know that QT is necessary (but still unwanted)

• 10. Re: Switching between sequences very slow
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

Thank you for that clarification on the partition.

Hope that the Easter Bunny leaves you some nice eggs - Dutch Chocolate maybe?

Take care,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Switching between sequences very slow
                              MtnBiker1966 Level 1

Harm, Bill,

Sorry for the late reply, we had an all-day shoot today. I'm whipped.

So, I've completed the majority of your recommended task and holy smoly is my machine runnig a lot faster. It screams. Thanks for the insight. Premier Pro is tons faster than before. Awesome. Everything works great.

But (and there's always a but) my sequences are still lagging when I switch from one to the other. Everything else works awesome but that.

So, this is where I stand: After following your masterful advice I now have a machine that runs a lot faster that before so all of this was well worth the time.

Methinks that since every thing else in Premier Pro runs great, and the rest of the applications in the suite run perfectly I must have a corrupt file somewhere causing this issue.

So the heck with it, I'm just going to reinstall Premier Pro. I'm in between projects now and have the time, so we'll see if this fixes the slow sequence changes. I know this is kind of copping out but if it works I'm golden.

I'll let y'all know.

Hope you had a great Easter and thanks again for your help!

• 12. Re: Switching between sequences very slow
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Keep in mind that switching timelines can carry a relatively high overhead, if you use heads in your timeline display.

• 13. Re: Switching between sequences very slow
                                  MtnBiker1966 Level 1

Bill, Harm,

I found out why it was taking my machine 6 seconds to switch from one timeline (sequence) to another: it's the single core processor. Bill, you called this some time ago, but here is how I proved it.

We have five machines here that have Adobe CS4 installed. Two of these machines (mine being one of them) have single core processors. The other three have dual core processors.

The two single core processor machines take exactly 6 seconds to switch between timelines. While doing so the processor is pegged to 100%.

So, until I get my new machine video editing is going to be a hair pulling, nasty, hellish experience.

Oh, and Harm, I changed the sequences to everything but Head Only...no luck.

• 14. Re: Switching between sequences very slow
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for reporting your test results. With CPU cores, "the more, the merrier!"

Good luck with the new machine, and glad that we could offer some useful tips along the way.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Switching between sequences very slow
                                      MtnBiker1966 Level 1

Well, the plot thickens here gents. I'm going to explain everything I went through here in case PP users in the future run into the same thing.

This all started when I noticed it took six seconds to switch between timelines in Premier Pro. Well, here's why:

My Precision 470 has been in this company for about 5-6 years or so. In that time my HDD crashed. I had the IS guys fix it. Apparently, they reimaged it with a standard image. That standard image used a single processor Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) whcih came the machine it was created from. My machine needed an ACPI Mulitprocessor HAL.

We cracked the case and took a looksee inside and behold TWO beautiful Xeon processors, but my Task Manager's Performance tab only showed ONE.

hmmmm...so the IS guy tried to use a program called Halu to convieniently apply the correct multiprocessor HAL onto my machine. No luck. The reason was because he placed this program on my desktop that has been encrypted for security reasons.

After doing much research this morning on how to get my machine to recognize my second processor, I started thinking that the encrypted desktop may have inhibited Halu to fully completing the HAL transformation process. So I moved it to a non-encrypted drive, ran it and badaboom! I had myself FOUR cores showing in my Task Manager Performance tab. Sweet.

Keep in mind that your HyperThreading has to be turned on in your BIOS (which we upgraded to A07) in order for all four cores to show up. I now have two physical cores working and two virtual cores working, but my goodness what an increase in performance. Premier Pro runs flawless.

Bill, Harm, once again, nice call on identifying the single core issue because that's what lead me down this path.

I'm going to mark this thread answered successfully. I learned a LOT over the past few days. In fact two of our other machines had the same problem, so I fixed them...we're rockin' now.

Gracious Harm and Bill and please keep up the good work. This forum really appreciates all you do for us.

Sam.

• 16. Re: Switching between sequences very slow
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Sam,

Great to hear you solved this issue and thank you for reporting the solution. Maybe others can benefit greatly from your report.

Happy editing.