9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2010 8:58 PM by the_wine_snob

CPU Peg at 100%

csgaraglino Level 1

So I have this server running Server 2003. I have a 2Ghz CPU, 4gb ram I just installed a nVidia GT250 graphics card and the latest drivers and there is virtual noting else running. The CPU is at 1-2% when idle.

I upgraded this a bit so that I can use PRE8 to do all my initial imports.

But when I play a clip, even a short SD MPEG-2 clip, PRE8 pegs the CPU at 100% and the monitor frezes and the audio keeps playing?

I have read several posts, but most all just keep asking for more information. I think I have given enough...

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: CPU Peg at 100%
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Though the system is clean, there still might be some tips in this ARTICLE, that will help.

Also, please tell us about your I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, their size, speed, controller type, amount of free space,and how they are allocated.

Next, please tell us about Virtual Memory (Page File) settings, how it's managed, size and where located.

Last, can you tell us about these MPEG-2 files, that you are testing with? Full details will be very helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: CPU Peg at 100%
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

A 2 ghz is barely enough to run this program. Even moreso if you're editing MPEGs. And even more so if you're using other the Windows XP.

What type of camcorder did this video come from and how did you get it into your computer?

Have you ensured that your project is using the DVD/Hard Drive Camcorder project preset?

Is there a red line above your clips on the timeline? Have you pressed Enter to render these clips (the red line will turn green).

• 3. Re: CPU Peg at 100%
              csgaraglino Level 1

I/O Subsystem - IDK?

The C: Drive is a 1TB SATA drive, there are also two other IDE WD 500GB drives (all 7200) All have 60-70% free space. eSATA 500gb external that is empty.

Page file is 6gb and on the C-Drive; managed?

The MPEG-2 file is from a JVC Enviro HDD and is raw from the camcorder.

The Project is DVD/Hard Drive Camcorder.

No red line, it is fully rendered.

This same file runs on my laptop with less hardware.

• 4. Re: CPU Peg at 100%
                the_wine_snob Level 9

For the JVC, I would first look at this FAQ Entry.

Next, I would search this forum for "MOD." There are some updated comments from a rep. from JVC, that might be of good use. You can also filter your Search on me, "Bill Hunt" in people. One reply from JVC is very current.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - as far as the Page File management, do you let Windows set it, or do you set the sizes yourself - dynamic vs static?

Also, where are your Projects located, and where are your media files located?

• 5. Re: CPU Peg at 100%
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is one THREAD, and you might get some good tips from Chris at JVC. Read down the thread a bit.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 6. Re: CPU Peg at 100%
                    csgaraglino Level 1

Thanks for the help.

On the Page File, I have it manually set to 6gb

Right now this is the first "test" project and everything is on the C-Drive.

• 7. Re: CPU Peg at 100%
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

One of the first thing that I would do, given that you have other physical HDD's is to break thing apart a bit.

I am a big fan of having only my OS, programs, and possibly the Page File on C:\. Nothing else is there.

My D:\ is only my Projects and my Scratch Disks.

E:\ is my media drive, and my Assets, or Copies of those Assets are there.

This allows the OS breathing room. Each of my HDD's is SATA II. This spreads the workload out quite a bit.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: CPU Peg at 100%
                        csgaraglino Level 1

Bill,

Should I just yank PRE* from this machine and run HDVSplit instead? You have mentioned it before, and this only purpose here is to get the video off the tape without tying up my main machine.

• 9. Re: CPU Peg at 100%
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

HDVSplit is a Capture utility for HD tape Capture, via FW. It is NOT an NLE. It would replace the Capture module in PrE. SceneAlyzer does the same for SD Capture. Many feel that each should have been the Capture module in PrE/PrPro. They each serve a purpose, but only for Capture.

Hope that this makes sense.

Good luck,

Hunt